Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

How common are moorings?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Pelagic Dreams, Sep 15, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pelagic Dreams

Pelagic Dreams Senior Member

This might sound like a dumb question....are there many islands in the Carib that have dedicated moorings available to yachts who don't want to use the marina? I can't remember if Valentine's in Harbour Island had them or not. Is there a publication of major Marinas that state what is available at each location?
    Thanks
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, a good cruising guide will usually tell you if moorings are available or not. I cannot comment on Harbor Island as I haven't been there in forever......maybe check the website?
  3. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Valentine's does not. Unless they have added some in the last year or so.

A great many of the moorings found in the Caribbean seem to me to be either day moorings for diving, for smaller boats (say 50' or less) or they're private.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

None in the Biminis, Berrys or Nassau; many in the central exumas (land and sea park) but most for smaller boats (under 60/65). Been a while since I ve been in the Carib but they were no public moorings.

Anchoring is common, need good ground tackle
  5. Pelagic Dreams

Pelagic Dreams Senior Member

Man......I don't know if I could sleep a night through without a horrible dream of dragging anchor and drifting into a reef......seems like a marina would put in moorings on the cheap, and charge a discounted fee for usage. What is peace of mind worth? I would be all for it. Plus, you get a wee bit more privacy than at the docks.....just saying
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

While moorings are definately nice, marina's are nice also. I have anchored countless times and not worried about dragging anchor. Most of the time this is on a boat with an appropriately sized anchor and all chain. I will run a 7:1 or 10:1 scope with all chain and not worry about it.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I must have anchored 200 times in the past couple of years and never dragged
    Proper ground tackle and scope plus a gps anchor alarm by my bed = good night sleep!!