Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Furuno

Just an old river rat saying Hi !

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Andrew B., Sep 10, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Andrew B.

Andrew B. Member

Hello folks.

I live in Evansville,IN. A few blocks from the Ohio river. I have been lurking a few weeks now. Currently at the 'well maybe' stage of getting a boat. I am learning much from the many informed comments I find here. I have pretty much narrowed my choice down to a Trawler in the 55' to 65' range. I enjoy the research, and looking forward to learning even more. Probably going to visit Florida this winter. Look at lots of different styles. Do some charters of the ones that appeal to me the most.

Steel, glass, foam core, aluminum, one motor, two motors, etc., etc.. I am at the thoroughly confused stage. I am sure this to shall get better. Maybe worse before better....:)

My number one concern will be safety(sea worthiness), followed by comfort. If I can't flop down in a chair in my jeans I don't need it. Informal will suit me just fine. Looking to be full-time for at least three to five years, if not longer.

As a fellow dog lover I am pleasantly pleased and surprised to learn that some of you keep a dog on board. Butch will be happy to learn that he can come along.

Just one question please. Where does the dog go to the bathroom ? Butch is all boy if you know what I mean. I think I have the #2 part figured out, but what about the cocking the leg part for urinating ?

A dog harness with a good strong lead attached, then stick him out on a swim platform until he is done ?

I will return to lurking and learning now.

Regards
    Andrew B.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Welcome Andrew. There are a ton of threads if you search titles like live aboard, new boater, first boat, etc. Almost any question you might think to ask has been answered. Except maybe for the one you asked.:D Males like to mark their territory. So I'd expect to keep a washdown hose accessable for a while.:D You'll of course want to train him to enjoy one spot. Often boaters will put out an artificial grass outdoor mat or something along those lines. For girl a wee-wee pad is usually the answer. Now for the real world. Most boaters don't spend weeks at a time without hitting port. So most of the business will be done on shore. That means it's not going to be as big a hassle as you may be expecting.
    Years ago the New River Times had a series (fiction, sort of) called "sailing on the cheap" about a guy who skipped out on dock fees and set off with his dog and not so much as a working compass. He was cruising in circles for about two weeks and his dog refused to do his business on the boat. Thankfully he found an island in the Bahamas. The dog jumped overboard a mile from shore to get in faster and spent an hour lifting against a palm tree.:D
  3. Andrew B.

Andrew B. Member

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome NYCAP123

Really good story. I will make sure I take TWO compasses. Probably a few maps too....:D

Butch might make it 12 to 14 hours, then something is getting 'hosed' ! lol

Currently doing research of redundancies. After many years of learning how to get rid of them in my canoeing and backpacking endeavors I am now learning that any serious passage maker trawler seems to require backups of some systems.

I imagine I will drive a few trawler owners nut with all my questions before I decide what I need and want in mine. Still confusing, sometimes frustrating, yet I find learning about small ship boating very enjoyable.

I remember getting to spend some time on the USS Canberra many years back. Coming from Indiana I was very impressed with its size until the USS Enterprise(CVN 65) came along side. Now that was a BIG boat.

It is a big jump from a 16ft Solo canoe to a 50 to 65ft trawler, or LRC.

Maybe I will drag the canoe behind the boat. Stick Butch in it until he learns to pee over the side....:eek: Just joking....:D

Stay Safe.....:)
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Well, I see you've learned one lesson already.
    Growing up I always wanted to live on about a 45 footer. Then I moved to Ft. Lauderdale where they put the 45 on the deck of their real boat.:eek: Now I couldn't live on anything less than 70'. Luckily I'll never afford a 70 so I have a decent house, my wife hasn't divorced me and my dogs have a back yard for their business.:D A few years back I brought a 60' Sunseeker there. As we came down the coast I warned the owner that his boat was about to shrink. He fluffed it off. As we came under the 17th St. bridge another Sunseeker pulled out from Pier 66. My boat's owner asked if it was a 50. I informed him that it was an 80'.:eek:
  5. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Somebody has to have invented a plastic 'fire plug' that could be secured to the deck for Fido to do his #1 on. If not, Andrew, go right ahead and make a pile of dough, but you owe me a beer for the idea.

As far as #2, yeah, anyone can do Astroturf...one afternoon at the old Marina Inn docks where some monster yachts pulled in (lots of water there), a truck pulled up with a largish pallet of sod which was loaded via the davit onto the boat deck...yes, it was for Muffy, alright.
  6. wscott52

wscott52 Senior Member

Years ago I went to the Bahamas for 6 months with my parents on a 60' boat. We had a female greyhound with us. She was pretty good and laid back, even for a greyhound, but one of my jobs was walking her. Underway on the ICW we might have to make one stop during the day just to let her off. At anchor in the Bahamas I had to lift her into the 13' Boston Whaler dinghy and take her ashore at least 3 times a day. She didn't like the process of getting into the dinghy at first but after she learned where it was taking her I could go to the stern to get the boat and she would be waiting for me at the boarding gate wagging her tail. I also crewed on a different boat with a little ankle biter on board and made him a small plot with real dirt and grass that he used with just a little coaching. Most dogs will figure it out fairly quickly.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

8. Andrew B.

Andrew B. Member

Actually Loren I thought of the 'fire plug' the night before you posted, but I will be happy to buy you a beer someday. I believe my millions will come from the design I have come up with on where to put the 'fire plug'.....:D

9. Andrew B.

Andrew B. Member

10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

At least Butch doesn't sound like an alfa-male. They have to mark everything. On the day I got my male Jack (alfa to the max) he looked me dead in the eye and christened my coffee table. Talk about 'Come to Jesus moments'. They almost met. He did the exact same thing to my wife a few days later.:( He now (reluctantly) understands that I'm the big dog. My wife and he are still working out the pecking order 8 years later.