Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Cross

Split decision

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Pelagic Dreams, Sep 2, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pelagic Dreams

Pelagic Dreams Senior Member

My wife and I are planning on using Belize as our home port and making our way through the Carib. for 6 months a year. No night time adventures, just day to day port. We like the clean styles of the interiors of newer boats, but the fuel consumption of the trawler vessels. We want something in a used twin diesel 50- 65' with room for guests.
    Wife likes the fresher interiors with out all of the teak and mahogany wood. I thnk the stability and durability of the trawler would suffice our needs. Is the best comprmise a time proven Hatteras MY. Something from the early '90 or should we look for something newer? My only problem with the pure Trawler is they look like grand pa's old station wagon...just my opioin.....
    Thanks for the help.
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

How much is the budget for this purchase?
  3. Pelagic Dreams

Right now we are thinking right around $500K. That's why we are willing to get an older boat. We would then modify to our needs. We know that this is not that big a budget, but we have seen some nice offerings in that price range.
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

On the low end of your size range and budget- A mid-90's Hatteras 52 Cockpit Motor Yacht would be a decent choice. They have 2 nice staterooms + a bunk cabin, 3 heads all with stall showers, and a huge aft deck. Add to that a nice cockpit with a transom door and decent economy at displacement RPM's. You also have a fast cruise if you want it. Interiors are mostly modern, airy light wood finishes. You should have a good selection in the $300 to $350K price range.
  5. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Make sure what ever you get is stabilized.

And when you say "room for guests" how many guests are you talking about, 2, 4, 6?
  6. Pelagic Dreams

We have friends who would love to take advantage of island hopping with us....we would need room for at least 4 more. I have seen a 58' Hatteras 1990 model with 4 staterooms. Owners, two vip's, and double bunks. We feel that with the extra bunk room, that could be used for dry goods storage for the long haul. But we don't want to feel like the guests are sleeping in a shoe box either. Plus, guests don't really want to share a head with other guests.
  7. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Trawler economy does not have to equal trawler looks. Personally I don't mind the classic trawler look, but I get your point.
    I have been looking for a boat in the 50' to 60' for a while, just add a fishing cockpit and we have similar needs BUT not budget. At your budget, there is an enormous choice.
    Some examples:
    Offshore 58/62, GREAT boat, I had a 58, 3 cabin 1996. PERFECT for cruising in most conditions, seaworthy, very roomy, large uncluttered cockpit, beautiful pilothouse, stabilised, ecomical at hull speed. I cruised the East coast Queensland and it was superb.
    Or the 55 Offshore. This is older but also great boats.
    To me these boats are perfect if you cannot go to Grand Banks quality/price, and Fleming low profile timeless design. BTW, good quality too... need I go on before I sound like a sales brochure? Yes they can be bought at good prices now.
    Other boats to look at: Tollycraft 57, GREAT BOAT!!! but of the 11 or so built, be aware some were chartered.
    Fleming 55 if you can find a good one at your budget.

Then the boats I am VERY keen on: HATTERAS 53 or 58 Yachtfish, and larger cockpit models. On these I will stand back and let the real experts jump in....Pascal, go for it...
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have travelled all over Belize, and unless you are staying in Belize City, draft is a major concern. The yacht I ran there drew 4' and we BARELY got in and out of San Pedro, Some parts of Glover's Reef (Southwest Cay) and parts of Turneffe we couldn't take the route across the middle of turneffe, same with the inside route between Belize City and San Pedro we barely fit through those 2 islands halfway between and that was at 30 knots, we had .6-.8 feet for 100 yards. But any of the yachts mentioned will serve the purpose AND the Hatteras' are very comfortable. Also, compared to any accomodations in Belize, any yacht you buy will be considered The Ritz Carlton.
  9. Pelagic Dreams

Ambergris Cay

Thanks for the heads up on Belize....we were thinking of using the Belize Yacht Club and Marina as our home port. As it stands, I love the 60' Extended Decdkhouse with Aft deck Hatteras....the 1992 model. Would this be practical in those waters? We want to make runs to the Caymans, Jamaica, and then once a season, refit, re-supply in Key West. Am I out of my mind? Will that Yacht handle those trips?
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

60' Hatts run down to Trinidad, Grenada and Venezuala every year. Not a problem.