Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Cross Click for Westport

Hurricane Earl

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Pascal, Sep 1, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I am on my way to catch a flight to Nantucket, thanks to Ear. the 5am looks worst having shifted further west...

Who else is up in New England planning for it?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Didn't you say you leave that boat on a mooring? Other than drop the hook (which the harbor staff could probably do for you) why fly up, unless you're going to run it in to Newport or Boston (I'd call quick for dockage as a lot of boats will be leaving the Cape area).
  3. Chris W

Chris W Member

earl works for the milk industry

i am in east greenwich in rhode island, i am still amazed at the hype that local news folks give this sort of thing. a local weather guy on tv said last night"will it be raining tree branches, they have not been tested in awhile". its like blizzard warnings here, hyped up to send people to the stores for milk and batteries. nantucket and block island may see some good size wave action but nothing much more then a winter gale.no disrespect to mother nature, have had my ass waxed offshore more times then i care to admit before i got into running big white boats but fear mongering does no good for anybody.

of course we will be watching things closely but as of now 20to30kts is the forecast here. i will leave the dock and anchor out in 12ft in case of a worsening forecast. the north easter we had here last week showed me my dock hates my fender covers.

good luck all.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The mooring field is too exposed, very long fetch from the NE staying on the mooring is not an option considering the risk of hurricane force winds.

There is also more to prep a boat for storm than dropping an unset anchor....

Will either move to the boat basin or west depending on the upcoming 11 and 5pm advisories
  5. JB1150

JB1150 New Member

I'm up in Boston Harbor, extra dock lines and the canvas coming down. I'm on floating docks and can tie her off between two full fingers without hitting either. You may find it easier to get on the Island than to get off closer you get.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'd choose the mooring over the basin; less to hit. Drop the anchor with a bunch of scope just in (unlikely) case the mooring lines part. I was there a few years ago for a noreaster just before Memorial Day that kept the ferries in port. The cottages were flooded and the docks under a foot of water. I spent the night evacuating people from the cottages and adjusting fenders and lines on our boat. Also spent a couple hours trying to coral a big Hat whose lines slipped the pilings and was held by (1) line and the shore power cord. The few boats unattended in the basin got trashed and it was a dangerous place to be walking.
  7. MBACH

MBACH Senior Member

Here's a shot of Earl rolling through Gustavia in St Barths.......Surf's Up!

Attached Files:

8. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

I was in San Juan over the weekend and while it wasn't a direct hit, there were power outages and downed trees. A marlin tournament was limited to just a day of fishing and the airport was closed Monday. The big concern was the rising water. Most marinas don't have floating docks and if the water were to rise, that could be a major issue. Luckly, the water level only rose about a foot above normal. All the best to those in the path of Earl.
  9. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I spoke to my family in Antigua yesterday and they said they had 6" of rain in a few hours. A couple of motor cruisers have also sunk.

This, I feel, may be a busy late hurricane season. There are two more waiting out there.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
  10. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

I'm up in New England planning for it, but land based. Will be near Boston to ride it out and work with my company's crisis teams to make sure that "You can hear me now".
  11. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

..... :D
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Huh? Eh? What was that?:rolleyes:
  13. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Pascal
    If you need a place to run, come down to Riverside Yacht club on western Long Is. Sound. We are not accepting any boats at this time but I can get you in as a guest of mine. We are very well protected & have floating concrete docks and steel pilings with 15' height over mean high water. Our only bad situation is in a strong southerly blow which this won't be.
  14. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

C'mon Ed, you should be able to figure that out. Don't make me string you up with phone wire, since I don't have any.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Figure it out? I pay your salary 3 ways monthly and watch my investment disappear every day. How much are we paying you?:D
  16. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Not enough. ;) And thanks.
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Stay safe my friend.
  18. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Thanks. And the same to everyone else who may be in or near the wrath of Earl.
  19. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

thks Dave

just about to leave Nantucket heading west, not sure how far west yet, it will depend on what i find...
  20. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

If your not planning on coming this far west, here is a suggestion:
    J&J marine. It's an above & beyond full service facility just north of Fall River MA about 20 miles up from Newport. They can get you indoors if you like.
    Contact Jeff Bothello @ 508 646-1200. Tell Jeff I sent you.
    If you do plan on coming down toward Greenwich/Riverside CT, give me a call @ 203 962 5494 & I'll get you set up.
    David