Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno

change a dark hull color to white?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Doeboy, Aug 22, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Doeboy

Doeboy New Member

can anyone tell me how difficult and expensive(approximately) it would be to change from a dark colored hull which has recently been awlgripped to a usual white? can this be done when you have the boat pullled to recoat the bottom. it is a 45 foot express. thanks for your help
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

You would most definitely want to do this out of the water.

You could prime and paint over it. But I think I would sand most of the blue off down to primer. Then apply a light coat of primer before putting on the new white paint.

You're going to pay close to, if not the same as, if you were starting from scratch I would think.
  3. m2m

m2m Senior Member

It's not a problem to go from a dark color to a light color. The process is the same with any paint job. The cost is dependent on where you are as different areas have different labor rates. In New England you are probably loooking at a price of $12,000-$15,000.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'm surprised to hear of anyone looking to change a newly Awlgriped hull to white. Is the allure of the dark hulls (with the associated costs & headaches) starting to fade?
  5. Doeboy

Doeboy New Member

dark to light hull

thanks gentlemen. I like this particular boat but not crazy for the green hull. I want to take the cost of changing it into account if I decide to make an offer. so the hull gets sanded with no damage to the gelcoat and painted white then awlgripped again. is that what would happen? just want to amke sure this is feasable thanks again
  6. m2m

m2m Senior Member

If it is fresh Awlgrip it is sometimes possible to paint the white right over the existing paint. I don't advise this though. I advise that you sand it, prime it, sand the primer and apply the topcoat.
  7. YPC1

YPC1 New Member

Awlgrip over Awlgrip

To all the above. It is not necessary to apply a primer over an Awlgrip Topcoat if recoating with an Awlgrip Topcoat. A scratch (sanding with 320 or higher grit) and shoot is all that's required.
    I would, though, in the case of changing a Dark Green (or any dark color) to a white, apply a closed film of 545 primer. That means, sand the old Top Coat with 220 grit, apply approx. 75 microns of 545 primer, sand that with 320-400 grit, and apply the new Top Coat. This is a little extra work, but ensures that there is no bleeding through of the Dark color, which could change the shade of any White you might want.
    Also if you are changing from the Awlcraft 2000 to the G+H Line (or visa versa) a primer is a must.
    In thinking this, you could then sand the old Top Coat and put the primer and Top Coat of another Manufacturer (International Perfection, DuPont, Alexseal), and then have a, most probably, better Top Coat.
    Hope to have helped!!
  8. Doeboy

Doeboy New Member

dark to white hull

thanks all for the help. I feel better about pursuing this boat I will keep you posted
  9. YPC1

YPC1 New Member

Hey Doeboy, No probs. If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask. You can also PM me if it's more direct.
    Rgds, Tom