Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander

Emerald Isle

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CVAZQUEZ, Aug 6, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CVAZQUEZ

CVAZQUEZ New Member

The Emerald Isle, as you probably already know, is an 126' yacht built in 1992 but retrofitted in 2009. It has 2X Detroit Diesel 12V92 TA's/1040 HP engines. Its range is 4000 Nautical miles.

I have never bought or owned a yacht before and out of curiosity how much would yearly maintenance fees on a boat like this be? Also, how much would fuel cost and any other costs I need to consider? Thanks for your help!
  2. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Welcome CVAZQUEZ - you've come to the right place for advice.

There are others more knowledgeable than me in YF – but a ball park figure would be anything between 5 to 20% of the boat's value per annum, depending on its current condition. You would also need to think about laying money aside for refits.

Boats are greedy beasts when it comes to finance. Only those who build and sell them make any real money. :(

But don't let that put you off! There are very few things that you can do (with your clothes on) that equal the pleasure of spending time on your own yacht - IMHO.
  3. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

There was also another thread on this same topic about a week ago.

Seek and ye shall find.

General consensus seems to be 10%.
  4. Minimum bid for the auction of Emerald Isle coming up on Aug 24th is $2,850,000. 10% of that is $285,000 with 15% $427,000. An experienced high quality captain for this yacht will be around $100,000 or more, maybe another $75,000 to $175,000 for the rest of the crew. Dockage at $2.00 per foot for the year is $91,000 plus electric. If you run the engines 400 hours a year fuel will be $70,000 to $80,000.
    It has been claimed that $2,000,000 has been spent on the yacht in the refit, so it must look pretty nice now, and additional expense should be repairs rather than refit but I have not seen the boat for a few years. Christiansen is a high quality builder however, and this yacht has done numerous trans-Atlantic crossings. Many years ago it was pretty active in the charter business.
  5. lwrandall

lwrandall senior member

6. Work

I am in the marina at Sandestin where she used to be kept until maybe 2 weeks ago on a daily basis. She needs an unbelievable amount of work. Its a shame to see her that way. She has a lot of potential, but needs help. The interior has been made to look great, but her engine room and exterior are ify to say the least. I would say she needs another million into her to get her looking as fine as she once was. IMO She is a heck of a price though despite the need for work. Someone will get a good deal, but she will be in the yard for a bit after purchase.