Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning

Regarding the HISWA Yacht Valley Tour

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by PropBet, Jul 17, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I simply wanted to say "Thank You!!! Carl"

Not only are you an expert in knowing when or where to ask if a hull is steel or aluminum, ;) you continue to set the standard and raise the bar for outstanding reviews, journalism, information, images, and content about a topic we are so passionate about.

Thank you again. I really enjoyed the read.

p.s., and yes, YES! Please build BLING!
  2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Yes the read was very good, I really took my time I read it to digest the information before me. The array of projects in-build is great and I for one cannot wait until many of them are cruising around. Thanks for taking the time and sharing with the wider YF community you experiences at the tour, it is exceedingly valuable.
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Thanks guys! :)

Sorry on the delayed response. As soon as I finished taking the tour live, I took a couple of days off and played dead. It's the first break I've had in a while. I put together about 10 pages of editorial for the HISWA feature, but it could have been 50 pages. So many details. So little time!

There were a few eye-openers on construction methods, while others had me raising an eyebrow. For example, one builder (name withheld) is choosing to paint the wiring harnesses and zip-ties inside their engine rooms. When I questioned this, I was told it makes the the engine room look more sanitary, to which I asked... 'what if you have to pull a wire?" Not only does it make tracing wires more difficult without color coding, but once you break the paint, it will continue to flake. And I also wonder how well paint adheres to zip-ties?

Attached Files:

4. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

Reminds me of a few of the Navy boats I served on. Same thing there. Made for a lot of fun tracing systems out

Thanks for the tour. Many of us will never get to do it, so we rely on those that do. It was fascinating to see and read.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

At least in the past, this was the same on all European built boats, except for Codecasa. They understood that people working in the engine room didnĀ“t like to carry white paint in one hand all the time...
  6. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Scot, you are finally a senior member, getting old like the rest of us! Carl change his status! :)
  7. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Very nice write-up of the Dutch constructors, Carl, thanks.

The highest compliment and descriptor to engineering design is the word... 'elegant', and that was certainly evident in Neco's "Valquest" and, as you mentioned, plenty of other places we/you just didn't see.

This in contrast to your post #3. Maybe management left that decision to Henrik the sweeper boy?
    White plastic overhead sections held in place with a handful of DZUS fasteners would have hidden those ugly wire runs...and allowed the electrical guy to mark the wiring with a Sharpie for future tracing.
  8. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

Didn't think I had learned that much yet. Working on it though.