Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Mulder

Collision in NY Harbor

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by NYCAP123, Jul 2, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It was just announced that 2 boats have collided near the Statue of Liberty. One man dead; one in jail. A 30' Proline T-boned a 17' Bayliner that was stopped. The driver of the Proline reportedly failed a breathalizer test. There were 3 on the Bayliner. The other 2 recieved only minor injuries. There was a family on the Proline. None of them was injured.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

sad, i hope they throw the book at him... 6:30pm is still daylight!
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'd say his life is effectively ruined now and getting worse by the minute, and rightly so. The helm and liquor don't mix; not a drop. And yes, still daylight. Can you imagine what he could have done a couple hours later in the dark?
  5. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

NY Harbor, sober or not, is a dangerous place in small boats. If it's true that one of the high speed excursion boats went past just before, it's entirely possible the 17' boat disappeared out of sight of the 30'. It doesn't matter how well you can see or react or anything else if the other boat simply can't be seen.

Accidents do happen, and sometimes it's easier to blame alcohol than actually figure out why. The booze might be a complete coincidence rather than proximate cause.

I hope that a thorough investigation is conducted before any book is thrown at anyone.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I don't know of any high speed excursion boats that go by the statue which throw a big wake, but there would be tons of wakes (2'-3') in that area from the normal traffic. They don't obscure a boat from a prudent operator. Once the breatalizer scores that's it. Even if other things factored in they could have been dealt with better with a clear head. That book needs to be thrown and the lawyers need to be called. This happens too often and it has to stop.:mad:
  7. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

So you would have the book thrown at...

The driver of that boat is not Richard Applebaum, according to http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/serious-boating-accident-in-new-york-harbor-20100702-akd and http://wcbstv.com/local/boat.accident.new.2.1786063.html , one Richard Aquilone.

But, of course, such minor facts shouldn't get in the way of Richard Applebaum having the book thrown at him, right?

Let the investigation happen. Enough with this "give 'em a fair trial then hang 'em." Didn't we get past that in 18th century Salem?
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Never been good with names.:eek: Absolutely fair trial. This is America. DWI/BWI isn't easy to beat though. Evidently the DA thinks so as well as charges were brought fast. If this were a slightly less common occurance I'd be more inclined to give the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunatley to find someone who has had a drink before taking the helm on July 4th weekend is not exactly hard. I'm really just sick of the lives lost to stupidity every summer. I seem to recall that you had something to do with emergency services. If I'm correct on that you've undoubtedly been on the calls. Sorry if I appeared like a lynch mob. Not my intention. Let's put it this way. If he in fact has been drinking and driving with his family on board and that contributed to this accident, I hope they lock his butt away for a long time and sue the pants of him.
  9. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

That's fair.

We had a fatal accident just today - wore both hats, Fire and EMS, for this one. Speeding sportbikes on unfamiliar roads. No alcohol involved, a rookie mistake.

DWI/BWI are being wielded as a big club because really, it's impossible to argue against. It's also really easy to blame when the real cause may be something else (insufficient driver/boater education for one). In that manner, our roads are not getting safer as a result of lower and lower BAC thresholds. Our roads are getting safer due to safer cars. Our roads are getting safer due to better traffic engineering. Our roads are getting safer due to many things. Many of these same things that make our roads safer don't apply to our waterways... Intersections? Airbags? Anti-lock brakes?

And at the same time, our laws are being rewritten to ensure a greater criminalization of a greater percentage of our population.

Calling for "the book" to be thrown before the investigation happens is more than putting the cart before the horse, it's applying a presumption of guilt rather than a presumption of innocence. That's really cutting to the core of our nation's legal principles, and on this, the weekend where we celebrate our freedom and independence from the tyranny of oppressive government, it struck a nerve with me.

Let the man have his day in court. Let the family of the deceased grieve. And after all, let the law be practiced in the courts.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Absolutely agree. Not long ago we had a case here I'm sure you heard about with the flower girl in the limo. I lost my last shred of tolerance with that one and watching the guy who did it trying to weasel his way out of responsibility with zero compassion for the victims. But we do have a justice system.
  11. Mark I

Mark I Member

My understanding is that the high speed tour boat (tigershark?) was in the area of the accident. This may have been a contributing factor as that boat does throw a wake and likes to hit wakes to get the passengers wet.

No excuse for drinking and boating though.
  12. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

i agree 100% with you mate.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Hi Mark,
    That's the red Sea Screamer boat "BEAST"
    ( http://www.allnewyorktours.com/body.asp?tour=NYC-W0024&page=TourDetails ) you're referring to? It stays with the channel and throws about the same wake as the taxis. You know NY Harbor. July 4th weekend (and most other days) it's a constant 3' confused chop between the Battery & Liberty Island what with the dinner boats, the SI Ferry, the water taxis, tugs, the BEAST and the 5,000 private maniacs that are blasting through there at any given moment this weekend. If someone can't handle that @ 26kts they should be taking it @ 5kts or whatever works. That's a real bad excuse. Once he rings the breathalizer bell and they charge him with manslaughter he loses the benefit of the doubt with me. Not that it couldn't be wrong which is why we have trials, but , short of the throttles, gears and stearing all freezing, that boy needs a very good lawyer (who will undoubtedly look for payment up front all things considered).