Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums

Barbecue explosion destroys $2m yacht in Middle Harbour

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by MaxPower, Jun 7, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

Barbecue explosion destroys $2m yacht in Middle Harbour

A $2 million luxury cabin cruiser has gone up in flames on Sydney Harbour.

AN exploding gas barbecue Saturday destroyed a $2 million cabin cruiser and a smaller boat in Middle Harbour.

Water police and emergency services were called to Sugarloaf Bay, off Castlecrag, just before 3pm after residents reported the luxury cruiser was ablaze. The owner of the 50ft Riviera-brand game boat said a small barbecue fire on deck got out of hand, spraying flaming fat onto the fibreglass boat hull. "Once the fibreglass caught alight there was no stopping the fire," said the father, who was aboard with his two sons. "The fire extinguisher was useless." The three managed to escape without injury on their small inflatable boat.

The second vessel, the owner's coffee vendor which he had spent six months fitting out, quickly caught alight when the explosion sent flaming meat and fat flying.

Video at ---

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/na...n-middle-harbour/story-e6frf7l6-1225876002609
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It has to make you wonder how this really happened.

I have used Gas BBQ's for years and had some pretty big fires on occasion with roast pork with crackling and the occasional whole chicken going up in flames, the flames always move upwards and the gas bottle has never been above this line.

I am pleased to report that since switching to a Radiant Burner Style one that the flare ups have been reduced to zero but it really is a prick of a BBQ to clean.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

On a 50' boat it was probably one of those insert in the rod holder or attach to rail types of BBQ's. They're great for hamburgers and hot dogs. However, if it were used for things like ribs or wasn't kept thoroughly clean (not many people clean more than just the grill) I could see fat dripping as a boat rocked. The force of a fire extinguisher, if not sprayed toward the lid as a backstop could also propell the flaming fat onto the boat. I'm not a lover of portable BBQ's on boats. open fires on fiberglass scare me. Grease and oil fires need to be smothered with salt, a towel, the BBQ lid, etc., not water or a propellant that can move it along. I know, basic stuff. Worth repeating though at the start of the northern boating/BBQ season. Glad the family got off safe. We just had a houseboat here with 2 deaths from Carbon Monoxide poisioning. Safety first.
  4. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Doesn't read like the propane was the issue. As far as the start of the fire. They only talk about fat and meat flying around.

My question is, what's a coffee vendor vessel? :)

"The second vessel, the owner's coffee vendor which he had spent six months fitting out, quickly caught alight when the explosion sent flaming meat and fat flying."
  5. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

At Sea!

Had to chuckle when I noticed your whereabouts: Location: At Sea ... Aahhh ..."
    Enjoy yourself Mate!!! Wherever that is, it is ALWAYS BETTER on the Ocean!:D
  6. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

tnx mate ... i gotta admit i DO enjoy being out at sea ... & try to go out as much as possible ...

:)
  7. wildkactus

wildkactus New Member

by the sounds a floating cafe, you call them up they come over to your boat serve up a latte, muffin then away they go, want another call them up again.

there was a couple on the Gold Coast as well.

Happy Sailing
  8. revdcs

revdcs Senior Member

Yep. Like the one serving Bruce Willis in ‘The Fifth Element’. :D