Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Comfort Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta

Almost-Yacht Spotting in Seattle

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by CaptTom, Apr 10, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Out in the other corner of the U.S. on business this week, spending time in Tacoma and Seattle, Washington. While relaxing by the shoreline, saw this yacht being towed into Elliott Bay (just off Puget Sound), heading for points unknown. Anyone recognize the style, shape or know of the local builders up here (C'mon Carl, any ideas)? Will head out today to see if I can tell where it docked, perhaps at a local yard, or if it's ready to be put on a ship and sent to another location.
    The tug towed her in, then got on the hip, spun around, and backed the barge deeper into the harbor before I lost sight.
    Also a cool shot of the Space Needle. This tower was built for the 1962 Seattle World's Fair, inspired by the Stuttgart Tower in Germany. Plan to take a ride to the top later today.

Attached Files:

2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Okay, after studying her lines a bit and utilizing Google, I'll say she's a Delta yacht, based on the high bow freeboard and that Delta Marine is located up the canal where the barge seemed to be headed. Other guesses?
  3. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Hmm, interesting Tom, What are the yards in the Tacoma area...Northcoast? what else?
  4. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Not really familiar with builders up here or their locations, looking for some insight by our grand exuberant leader. I know Westport is up here and maybe a few I haven't heard of.
  5. bigboatbill

bigboatbill Senior Member

It appears to be a Northern Marine 151. The lines of the hull and super structure look like the other Northern Marine yachts "After Eight" and "Bella Bri".
  6. jsi

jsi New Member

Well -

You have Westport:

40 meter plant in Westport.

112' plant just up Gray's harbor in Hoquiam.

50 meter plant and the cabinet shop for all

In Port Angeles.

And the 85' Pacific Mariner, in LaConner joined the Westport brand

A year or so ago.

You have Northcoast in Tacoma.

Christensen in Vancouver.

Of course, Delta in South Seattle.

Northern Marine in Anacortes,

Though they are struggling right now.

Nordic Tug, also north of Seattle, just outside of LaConner,

Builds a sweet line of smaller boats. They too have had their challenges.

CEO died in a terrible motorcycle accident about 18 months ago.

Also Nordlund, though I don't have a clue as to where they are at right now.

North of the border, in BC

You have a reborn and relocated Crescent,

And Sonship and the Richmond yard,

Which both also seem to be struggling.

We are all going through a pluperfect son of a ***** of a market,

But NOBODY in the Northwest is

Backing down in terms of quality or workmanship.

"If it was easy, anybody could do it."

Just my say.

jsi
  7. bigboatbill

http://www.northernmarine.com/151trideck.php
  8. atomare

atomare New Member

Nice paparazzi photos CaptTom and great spotting ... I really hope they keep the duo tone for the final yacht ... looks nice that way.
  9. Palmer

Palmer New Member

It probably is a Northern Marine 151. Perhaps on its way to Delta for completion.

Northcoast launched their 125' two weeks ago. It's now on lake union being finished. Nordlund hasn't launched a boat in over a year. They still exist but are doing repair work and hibernating.
  10. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Palmer, you are correct. Found her at the Delta yard. Couldn't get in for a photo but will post a few far-off shots later when I get back to the hotel. They do things in a big way in Washington: large planes at Boeing, mountanous mountains as in Ranier and big fish. I had to mention that last one, just for the halibut. Lol
  11. scott49

scott49 Senior Member

Northern Marine 151 Hull #3
  12. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

You guys in the northwest know your hulls. Did a little sluething around and found her at the Delta Marine yard. Did have a nice chat with the security guard about taking a closer look and as expected she politely said no. But was able to get a few shots from the preserve next door.

Bigboatbill, thanks for the link, that's her. Looks great when finished. I enjoy seeing yachts in their various stages of construct; make you enjoy the finished product even that much more.

JSI, thanks for the rundown on the yards. I thought Sonship was out? Guess not.

Thoroughly enjoyed the trip to Seattle, beautiful country. Nothing like seeing snow-capped mountains backdropping serene harbors. City and landscape shots from top of Space Needle.

Attached Files:

13. bigboatbill

Howdy Captain Tom, You sure do get around:) I am glad you carry your camera with you as you always offer interesting "up close and personal" pics.
    The Northern Marine 151 has always looked a bit unique to me and i recognized her immediately. I remember reading somewhere a couple years ago that the owner of hull #1, After Eight had purchased the company to insure the completion of his yacht as the company teetered. Then along came Bella Bri and now apparently a third. I hope this is signaling good news for Northern Marine.
    I also really enjoy photos of yachts in build.
    Happy Travels and take good care of your camera.
  14. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Tom in your first pic there you know that you shot the mast of Delta's latest launch...the new "Silver Shalis"? or that was accidental? ;)
  15. scott49

scott49 Senior Member

The reason for Delta finishing hull #3 is that Northern Marine is closed.
  16. scott49

scott49 Senior Member

Wow -how did you see that. I must not look as close or need to put on my glass's :D
  17. bigboatbill

I am sadened to hear about the failure of a venerable American yard. I hope the employees are able to find meaningful jobs.
  18. bigboatbill

here is a link to the yacht that mast is attached to. A very nice looking yacht in my opinion. Delta yachts always look very ordered iand clean in their design. Interesting hull color as well; reminds me a bit of Oceanco Sunrays.

http://www.************.com/focard3.php?foo=FC007
  19. bigboatbill

I forgot this site dosent allow links to other yachting sites; there is a really nice shot of silver shalis available with a relatively easy google search.
  20. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Bill,
    Here's a shot of Bella Bri as she exited the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show last year.

Attached Files: