Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Furuno

Any info on the yacht 'Nadine'

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by kc135delta, Mar 28, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. kc135delta

kc135delta Member

I saw this m/y on another thread here and it peaked my curiosity. Very narrow beam, apparently extended a couple times and then it sank off the coast of france.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know where she was built? Specs? Engines? Any sister ships? And why did she sink?
  2. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Too many toys...? :cool:
  3. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Built in Holland in one of the founding federation of ship builders that finally became the modern day two Feadship yards of Van Lent and DeVries. Believe she was launched as CoCo Chanel (not sure) than named Jan Pamela and "Jumbolized" or a mid section of 30' fabricated @ Merrill Stevens and installed in 1982. Sank while making passage from Naples to Sardinia as the loss has been well documented.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Back at the time of her sinking I'd heard that a forward hatch blew open in rough seas and it was a done deal from there. They tried to jettison the toys to regain stability, but it was too little, too late.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The Skipper of it when it sank is a well known and active character within the industry to this very day.

I found this on another site.

Nadine's sinking was indeed caused by the violent waves. A foredeck hatch was smashed, allowing water to flood the crew quarters and bringing the yacht down by the bow. This allowed more waves to break over the fordeck and they caused one of the large tenders carried there to shift, breaking one of the dining salon windows that overlooked the foredeck, which causing flooding on the maindeck. As if that wasn't bad enough, the violent motion of the yacht caused the swim platform to rip off the hull, allowing the lazarette to flood.
  6. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Ahh, now its coming back to me, The first lengthening was the 12' cockpit addition @ Merrill Stevens in 1980 the original machinery in place when launched was Detroit Diesel 12-71 naturals for mains and 6-71 gens. Mains replaced in 1991 with Cat 3412 and Gens replaced with N.L. -This work was also done by Merrill Stevens in Miami.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You might have the wrong yard here, the repower and subsequent works were done at Miami Ship I think it was called further east on the Miami River than Merrill Stevens they have now been slated to be replaced with Condos. ( The Betty K Line used to also run out of the same yard).

It was the first yard past the Metro Rail Bridge heading up the river by the SW 2ND Av Bridge and not far from Tobacco Road.

You can see the yards marine railway in this undated photo : http://www.kiewit.com/projects/transportation/sw-second-avenue-bascule-bridge.aspx

It belonged to the late Bernie Little back then whom I had had the pleasure of working for previously and I was shown around it by him as he tried to convince me to return to his employment once again.
  8. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

But then not to long after the Nadine sinking, Mr. Little hired that Capt to run Starship. Proved to be a good idea because that captain did an excellent job marketing the vessel for charter.
    I then felt fortunate enough to be there when Mr. Little did has last boat ride before departing for the big boat in the sky. We went to Freeport Bahamas Port Luycaya. The unique thing was, on that trip I never seen him happier.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Uncle Bernie as we used to call him was an outstanding Owner and one heck of a gentleman to work for or be associated with.
  10. captholli

captholli Senior Member

I was the Engineer from '80 to '84 when Mel Powers out of Dallas owned her as Jan Pamela and Norm Dahl was Capt. So I have first hand knowledge of what, when and where the cockpit and and mid section were added right down to a young Kiwi, Paul Solenicks contracted to provide the electrical work through his newly formed Co. Tess Marine. After Mel filed chapter 13 the boat went up for auction and the Whole crew went on to Empress Subaru.
  11. nas130

nas130 Member

The autobiography "The Wolf of Wall Street" and "Catching the Wolf of Wall Street" both have some information about the sinking of the Nadine. The movie "Boiler Room" was allegedly the story of Nadines owner’s business on Long Island. I think the book about megayacht disasters also has some interviews with the captain and crew that were taken after sinking.
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Captholli- Would your first name be Mark by any chance?
  13. captholli

captholli Senior Member

No, But enjoying the anonymity as you do "Kiwi"
    Cheers!
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I asked because in 1984 I met a guy who was Chief on Empress Subaru and I thought his name was Mark Hollingsworth. He also got speared in the foot with a dart at a party I was at.

By the way Paul Salenieks expanded his co - Tess Electrical Marine and sold it out to a multi national.
  15. Neil Rooney

Neil Rooney Senior Member

Seawind with Allison C-18

I have been a passenger in that Seawind a few times. She was powered by an Allison C-18 Turbine with a cut down 3 blade prop. Quite a fast plane. The plane was in the USA when Nadine went down. Do read the account in "The Wolf OF Wall Street".
  16. Benprez

Benprez New Member

this boat was once owned by Jordan Belfort the wolf of wall street it sunk watch the youtube story jordan belfort yacht story
  17. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It had a few more interesting Owners as well.

The late great Bernie Little and the infamous Mel Powers to name just two.
    Reconjohnnie likes this.
  18. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

We used to run him and his croanies around in New York when I worked for a limo company. Elaborate spender, big parties and $$$ oozing everywhere in the heady days of the 1980's. Amazing that this guy is pushing his life story of crime and making bucks at it.
  19. stgeorge123

stgeorge123 New Member

MY Nadine

With the new movie 'The Wolf of Wall Strret' about to come out, I relooked at this thread and discovered it has never been clearly answered. The 'Nadine' was originally built at Niklaas Vitsen und vis in Aalkmar Holland circa 1962 for a wealthy French industrialist - she was floated as 'Mathilda' and retained this name until May 1977 when she was renamed Coco Chanel and crossed over to the US. She was originally fitted with GM Diesels and Mercedes gensets.The next time she was over in the Med, if my memory serves me right was in 1988 at the Cannes Film Festival, on charter having come across on Dock Express.

Jordan Belfort was onboard with guests and full crew when she sadly sank off Corsica (all rescued fortunately) - theories and way she sank are numerous and probably mostly inaccurate, but I believe her length, by now 53 metres instead of the 40 metres she was originally built at, contributed. However, having sailed on this vessel as Ch.Off from 1970 - 1977, she should never have set sail in the weather conditions that day, which eventually were worse than forecast - whatever the Owner said!!
  20. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Mel Powers owned it when it was stretched by Merril Stevens in Miami. It lurked around the area for a few years and the late Bernie Little expressed an interest in it when it was called Jan or Jam Pamela and was laying at Merril Stevens in 1988. I was working for BLL on something else and was asked to go take a look.

I next saw it when I was in Astilleros in Palma in the summer of 1989. Follwing this it was acquired by BLL and I worked on the refit when it was repowered with CAT 3412's and CAT Gensets in late 1992.

The rest as they say is history - there are varying accounts of many historical events so this fits well.