Click for Trinity
Click for Pacific Mariner
Click for Nordlund
Click for Cape Scott
Click for Nordhavn
Click for Bering
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > General Yachting Discussion > Any info on the yacht 'Nadine'

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Any info on the yacht 'Nadine'

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Any info on the yacht 'Nadine'

I saw this m/y on another thread here and it peaked my curiosity. Very narrow beam, apparently extended a couple times and then it sank off the coast of france.

Does anyone know where she was built? Specs? Engines? Any sister ships? And why did she sink?
kc135delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
And why did she sink?
Too many toys...?
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Built in Holland in one of the founding federation of ship builders that finally became the modern day two Feadship yards of Van Lent and DeVries. Believe she was launched as CoCo Chanel (not sure) than named Jan Pamela and "Jumbolized" or a mid section of 30' fabricated @ Merrill Stevens and installed in 1982. Sank while making passage from Naples to Sardinia as the loss has been well documented.
captholli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Back at the time of her sinking I'd heard that a forward hatch blew open in rough seas and it was a done deal from there. They tried to jettison the toys to regain stability, but it was too little, too late.
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hi,

The Skipper of it when it sank is a well known and active character within the industry to this very day.

I found this on another site.

Nadine's sinking was indeed caused by the violent waves. A foredeck hatch was smashed, allowing water to flood the crew quarters and bringing the yacht down by the bow. This allowed more waves to break over the fordeck and they caused one of the large tenders carried there to shift, breaking one of the dining salon windows that overlooked the foredeck, which causing flooding on the maindeck. As if that wasn't bad enough, the violent motion of the yacht caused the swim platform to rip off the hull, allowing the lazarette to flood.
K1W1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ahh, now its coming back to me, The first lengthening was the 12' cockpit addition @ Merrill Stevens in 1980 the original machinery in place when launched was Detroit Diesel 12-71 naturals for mains and 6-71 gens. Mains replaced in 1991 with Cat 3412 and Gens replaced with N.L. -This work was also done by Merrill Stevens in Miami.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captholli
Mains replaced in 1991 with Cat 3412 and Gens replaced with N.L. -This work was also done by Merrill Stevens in Miami.
Hi,

You might have the wrong yard here, the repower and subsequent works were done at Miami Ship I think it was called further east on the Miami River than Merrill Stevens they have now been slated to be replaced with Condos. ( The Betty K Line used to also run out of the same yard).

It was the first yard past the Metro Rail Bridge heading up the river by the SW 2ND Av Bridge and not far from Tobacco Road.

You can see the yards marine railway in this undated photo : http://www.kiewit.com/projects/trans...le-bridge.aspx

It belonged to the late Bernie Little back then whom I had had the pleasure of working for previously and I was shown around it by him as he tried to convince me to return to his employment once again.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

But then not to long after the Nadine sinking, Mr. Little hired that Capt to run Starship. Proved to be a good idea because that captain did an excellent job marketing the vessel for charter.
I then felt fortunate enough to be there when Mr. Little did has last boat ride before departing for the big boat in the sky. We went to Freeport Bahamas Port Luycaya. The unique thing was, on that trip I never seen him happier.
C4ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hi,

Uncle Bernie as we used to call him was an outstanding Owner and one heck of a gentleman to work for or be associated with.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

I was the Engineer from '80 to '84 when Mel Powers out of Dallas owned her as Jan Pamela and Norm Dahl was Capt. So I have first hand knowledge of what, when and where the cockpit and and mid section were added right down to a young Kiwi, Paul Solenicks contracted to provide the electrical work through his newly formed Co. Tess Marine. After Mel filed chapter 13 the boat went up for auction and the Whole crew went on to Empress Subaru.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

The autobiography "The Wolf of Wall Street" and "Catching the Wolf of Wall Street" both have some information about the sinking of the Nadine. The movie "Boiler Room" was allegedly the story of Nadines owner’s business on Long Island. I think the book about megayacht disasters also has some interviews with the captain and crew that were taken after sinking.
nas130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hi,

Captholli- Would your first name be Mark by any chance?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

No, But enjoying the anonymity as you do "Kiwi"
Cheers!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hi,

I asked because in 1984 I met a guy who was Chief on Empress Subaru and I thought his name was Mark Hollingsworth. He also got speared in the foot with a dart at a party I was at.

By the way Paul Salenieks expanded his co - Tess Electrical Marine and sold it out to a multi national.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Lightbulb Seawind with Allison C-18

I have been a passenger in that Seawind a few times. She was powered by an Allison C-18 Turbine with a cut down 3 blade prop. Quite a fast plane. The plane was in the USA when Nadine went down. Do read the account in "The Wolf OF Wall Street".
Neil Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote