Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Delta

Opinions of Mikelsons and similar boats...

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by craigsduc, Feb 24, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. craigsduc

craigsduc New Member

We are currently in escrow on a 2000 50' Mikelson SF with 1400 hrs on 450 diamond cummins. Northern lights 12KW w 1400 hrs. We have looked at these boats for some time and have commenced the purchase but feel it would be pertinent to ask others of their opinions of these boats. They are very popular it seems here in So California and have talked to Mikelson owners with posiive feedback however they own them. We have looked at 54 Bertrams with 1271s to 1292s with hours from low to high but have been cautioned about buying 2 cycle detroit boats due to potential disaster realized when we try to sell plus the cost to run and maintain them could prove to be out of our reach. We have also found a 1981 hatteras 50 with 8 92s ( unknown hours ) that has been upgraded from stem to stern with exception of engines/gen sets. Every screw and surface has been painted and modernized/replaced to as new condition with the exception of the 892s. Boat can be bought for $ 200K with tender/davit included ( also like new ). I ve been told to buy the newest boat we can afford and get the most modern of systems we can. What should one do that is just squeaking in to the 50 ft SF arena and works for a living but has a 5 year old daughter that loves sportfishers.......and big one at that and also loves to catch and eat fish like theres no tomorrow!
  2. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

One needs to be prepared for when that daughter becomes a teenager, just wait to see what she will be asking for then. lol Seems like she has daddy wrapped around her finger, and I should know, I have twin girls. OUCH!

You're boating off SoCal so get the best boat for the seas out there. Yeah the 6 92's have issues but you want to be safe. If you're just getting by with the 50, go to a 40 or so. Have you ever boated before?
  3. craigsduc

craigsduc New Member

Ive had everything from blown gas K boat flatbottoms, to a 44 Trojan express boat ( Carver built ), to a 40 Silverton ACMY and have been around boating since I was 7 with my dads' Owens 25 but have never owned a diesel boat or a sportfisher. Older with detroits vs newer with 450 cummins. The accomodations of the Mikelson is incredible, it has a huge cockpit, is very efficient and cruises @ 17/18 with top of 21 @ 46GPH. Its made in Taiwan I know which to me is its negative but seems to built rather well with mostly US componentry ( other than its plumbing which again is a negative/non Trident USCG fuel lines need replacing but it is rather straightforward. Seems like I am convinced to go through with the purchase but I still think about spending 1/2 of the Mikelson ( $ 450K ) and get an older 54 bertram or 50 Hatteras with detroits @ $200 to $250K. There is a 85 Bertram in the Northeast that can be had in the low to mid $ 100s but it looked like I could spend a ton getting it to a level where I enjoy a boat to be. Everyone has an opinion and we are simply a bit overwhelmed with them as well as well as our own mixed ones. My daughter loves the Mikelson cause its big, beatifull, and has marlin etched into the salon glass door along with bait tanks with windows/lights and underwater lights. 96 mile Furuno recent radar, Navnet II GPS/plotter as well as a standalone Furuno Sonar. Stidd chairs, immaculate condition, but made in Taiwan............You can sense my frustration. If money wasnt an option, we certainly would have an easier decision but it is. I,ve had partners on two boats and it worked both times so I plan on advertising for one again once we finish buying a boat. Not for everyone I know but it truly worked for us and made boating that much more desirable. Thanks for the time and any other opinions/comments Cap!
  4. craigsduc

craigsduc New Member

Buying older Hatteras 50,Bertram 54 vs newer Mikelson 50

Help! I read my post and it seemed legitimate. I will say it might have come across that I am an avid boater which I am not. I,ve had a fair number of boats but none of them were in the league of what we have always dreamed about owning and are currently pursuing. We have been looking at boats for some years now and have a generally good impression of quite a few and also know there are no perfect boats. Every boat seems to have pros and cons. I am very particular on what to buy as it certainly needs to be safe and able to handle our So Cal seas well. My 5 year old " fishergirl " daughter dictates that! Weve looked at late 70 through mid 90 Hats, Vikings and Bertrams. Most had 2 cycle Detroits due to our price range. We certainly are not wealthy so cost of ownership is a huge issue.We also want to be able to sell the boat when we move to NZ ( within the next 3 to 5 years ) without giving it to the Boy Scouts ( unless of course we win the lottery and can afford to do just that!) We also have looked at Mikelsons and recently entered into a purchase on a 2000 50 with Cummins 450s. Just finally received the survey and it does depict a lot of recommended items. i know its a boat but I am getting mixed feelings I might be better off return to looking at older Hatteras, or Bertrams. I,m not a big fan of cored HULLS ( I believe the major builders all are doing it now ) and certainly am not a huge fan of overseas boats but we felt the Mikelson was a legitimate option for use/ownership here in Southern California. Most of the issues pertain to plumbing fittings that are weeping due to poor welds, window leaks ( from lack of periodic resealing and maintenance of tracks )that have caused some minimal damage to interior veneers, and hose leaks from asian fuel lines originally installed. I think Mikelson has definitely addressed most of these issues over the years and the plumbing can be upgraded with Trident USCG lines/ brass fittings and dual SS clamps. Should I overlook these issues if the seller/Mikelson are willing to resolve these discrepancies or should I pass and pursue older American built boats. Mikelson has always had a great following here in So California and have always appeared to be an upstanding builder with good stability/character. They do seem to stand behind their product ( I will know more very soon when they let me know what they can do to help with the issues ). They have gone to frameless windows and better hoses I,m sure. They are not raceboats ( 17 to 21kts ) but they also are fairly fuel efficient hence the cost of use should be reasonable.

Thoughts? Should we consider early 80 54 Bertrams w 1271s or 1292s if hours are reasonable? Perhaps early 80 Hatteras 50s w 892s as they are in the very low $200ks / high $100ks. Some brokers say they will not recommend 2 cycle detroit boats any longer as they are nothing more than big anchors ( thats unless of course they are trying to sell one ).
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Craigsduc,

Your latest thread has been merged with your existing thread. Please do not open new threads on the same subject.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have heard good things about the Mikelsons in general but have never stepped foot on them. They do have the typical Taiwan issues (such as fuel lines) like you've found out. Typically the Taiwan built boats have a low resale value when they get older.

Personally I would be well suited with an older 54' Bertram with a Hardtop with 12v71's in it. I think the Bertram 54's will hold their value well at current prices and the older 54's are built well, and a good sea boat. However, you might be better off going to a smaller boat like a mid 40's and a bit newer with a quality brand if price is an issue and maintanence costs are a big consideration. Everything is more expensive at 50+ feet, compared to 40-45'. Washdowns, dockage, running costs, bottom paint, etc etc etc.......
  7. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

I'm sure you have seen this one?

http://www.crowsnestyachts.com/listings/brokerage/54-Bertram-Convertible-1986.html

I bought a $250k Bertram 54 in December ... will have noooo problem finding a place to put $150k to get her "almost" like new. This one I mention above "Esoteric" seems to have the work already done .. just depends how she surveys and how low they'll go.

Mine has the 12V71TI engines (just overhauled one) and it's running again. The other was done 4 yrs ago with receipts.

I'm not sure the big DD's are a huge negative for a Bertram 54 as very few have been upgraded to C18 Cat's for instance that would provide much better fuel economy at a cost of at least $250k.

The 12V71TI's or 12V92TI engines should provide reliable service with the only shocker at the fuel pump .. figure 75 gph 22-24 knots cruise? Maybe a little more. (fuel that is).

But ... a broken turbo is not going to run $20k (maybe that's just a MAN engines wives tale) ... I do know that I replaced a turbo on my 12V71TI (the engine that was overhauled 4 years ago ... the turbo was easy to get and $890. That's about as cheap as an automobile part.

So .. there can be some comfort had in the good old reliable DD 2 stroke.

That said, my biggest concern would be the "selling" in 3-5 years part. I suppose if you make your best deal and don't spend much money customizing, you could give it away, just like you bought it and be none the worse.

Wonder if "Esoteric" is available for ... $300? Squawk free?

Just took a second look at "Esoteric" and noticed the engines have 3500 hours on them ... they might have some years left in them but that depends ... have to have a good survey. Count on $35k-$40k for a good (in hull) overhaul. Mine lasted approx 4000 and 4500 hours. Nothing catastrophic. Even the one with a bad ring and virtually no cylinder liner remaining still ran strong!

The other dropped a valve at 4000.

Mike
  8. RER

RER Senior Member

Esoteric is sold
  9. craigsduc

craigsduc New Member

I did see the 54 but it sold some time ago. Bad Company is for sale but Ive been told its been run very hard its entire life. I,m going to look into Elaine or Abracadabra in S Fla if we end up passing on the Mikelson. Theres also a 81 50 Hat thats been completely cosmetically/electronically upgraded including everything other than the 892s and gensets. Its name is El Zorro and we are trying to find the owner . If we could get it in the high $ 100s, I feel it might work. Also inquired about a 50 in the New England area on the forum with a yellow hull, upgraded throughout w 892s, etc but havent heard back to see if it sold. If not, we will keep looking for a Bertram 54 or ? In the event we close on the 2000 Mikelson 50, I guess we will just have to hope all goes well and we can sell her in a few years and then get a latter 54 w Cats for our next boat!
  10. craigsduc

craigsduc New Member

Looking for that right Hatteras, Bertram or Viking

Have recently posted regarding Mikelsons and am confident we are going to pass on one we are in contract with due to my wife. She feels she would rather have a used Mercedes than a much newer Chevrolet. I cant argue with this logic as quality is something we simply cant sacrifice. I look at cost of ownership rather than purchase price when it comes to a boat. As we are seriously hoping to relocate to NZ within the next 3 years, I want to be able to sell whatever we buy today without buying what she refers to as an interim boat. Spending $ 450 K on a used Taiwan boat is not settling well with us right now after receiving the survey report. It was not terrible but does bring to the surface issues pertaining to overseas boats. Not a real fan either of foam cored hulls. She asked me if we could spend a little bit more , would I still buy the Mikelson and I said no. I really want a non 2 cycle detroit 54 bertram with a teak interior or possibly a 54 Hatteras again with a non ash or bleached oak interior with cats. The right Viking would work too however I have been cautioned about earlier Vikings. Some people think the market will be a bit better at the end of this season which might enable us to get into a Cat powered teak or cherry 54. We have $ 200K as a down and might have private financing too for the balance ( short term @ 24 months max ). Not going to apply for retail loan right now so seller or private financing is the only option. We have looked at a few early 80s through late 80s 2 cycle detroit Hatteras 50s and bertram 54s that could be bought for high $100s to mid $ 200s but are concerned with that cost of ownership thing and ability to sell when we are able to relocate to NZ. Some feel the market for these engines is nearing a end due to concerns regarding cost and availability of marinizing parts ( internal parts are believed to be a non issue for quite some time albeit the quality seems to be less than original parts ). Will these boats truly get to a point where they are worth a certain amount forever so long as they are well kept or are they a dying breed soon to be donation items. Never have heard a bad thing about 54 Bertrams which is probably our number 1 choice of older boats. Heard the 50 Berts are almost as good especially if you get 8 cyl mans. What do you experts think. If you know of a boat you would recommend to your son and daughter in law ( whom means a lot to you by the way) to buy, let me know. As we are in Southern California and most of the boats we have considered are on the east coast, we realize we may have to buy it out there and eventually bring it out here on its own bottom. For the right deal, we are willing. Recommendations?????
  11. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Craigsduc,

Your latest thread has AGAIN been merged with your existing thread. Please do not open new threads on the same subject.
  12. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

I think I can tell you why that happened. I posted a post that got moved to the Bertram thread but I never saw the message that it moved because the notice was posted to a thread I was not subscribed to. (****, that sounds confusing) I found it later by chance and realized there was a whole discussion that i was unaware of.
    He probably never saw your notice that it was moved.
    If you post that notice in the old thread he will see it.
  13. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Geriksen, both of the new threads are merged with the old (this thread). Can not be hard to find for the OP, and makes it easier for all of us to follow I hope?
  14. geriksen

geriksen Senior Member

Oh I totally understand why you moved it. Just relating what happened with my post. I thought it had been deleted but found it elsewhere. I was not subscribed to the thread where the message was telling me it had moved.
    You guys do a great job with this site!
  15. craigsduc

craigsduc New Member

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ! Can yoy tell I,m a newbie???:)
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

No problems. We have threads with over 1.000 posts, so starting a new after each answer is another kind of record..:D
  17. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I wouldn't touch 12v92s in a sportfish nowadays if I was buying one. BUT, I would have absolutely no worries about buying one with 12v71's. They may smoke, they may leak oil, they may be a little crude, they may burn a little more fuel, but they will always get you home. The extra fuel part is negligable because at trolling speeds you'll burn less then a modern 4 cycle diesel, even if you burn a little more at cruise. Maintanence on them is relatively cheap and easy to do as an owner that has some knowledge. The 12v71's will go 4000-5000 hours between majors.

With the electronic diesels, I've seen them not start because a wiring connector is not completely pressed together and things like that. I also don't know if it's worth spending twice as much to replace rather then rebuild what you have sometimes.
  18. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

That is pretty much where my investigation led me ... that the 12V71's are good engines ... doing a complete overhaul on one has been very straightforward ... all the parts were available and it's running again. The other needed a turbo ... it was less than $900 bucks. If I start running the boat 500+ hours per year at 20 knots I will regret not getting the Cat C-18's installed ... (but I couldn't afford it anyways! so it's not worth worrying about). If I run out of dough, I'll party at the dock!
  19. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I'm not a fan of the 2 stroke Detroits. Most all of them in commercial boats in California were replaced with modern electronic fuel control engines under a State administered fund program to reduce emmissions, and it did. That said, I'm not sure that the engines in the Mikelson are ECM controlled engines, but regardless, they will be more efficient than the 71 & 92 series Jimmies. The Mikelsons themselves seem to be decent enough boats, Taiwanese have been building boats for our market for a long time, many of the designs are from well respected US designers and built for our market. One thing I ask you to consider though on this purchase is how much you will actually use the boat. I started in this business 25 years ago as a BN & Schooner Rat in SoCal and lived aboard boats for most all of the time I was there, and noticed that 98% of all the private boats in SoCal see their owners 3 weekends a year, and may go out on one of them. The main issue as I see it is that SoCal boating is COLD. The water there is never warm, which is why I moved away. In So FL the water never gets as cold as the warmest day in SoCal, so make sure that your daughter likes being cold while she's fishing or your boat will soon end up like all the rest there, sitting in a slip with the BN that you contract with washing it every two weeks and waxing it 3 times a year.

An option to consider is partnership should you find yourself not using the boat as much as you are thinking you will. I find that in SoCal for the typical user, a three way partnership in a boat usually works out pretty well. You'll want to have at least one of the partners who is avid and seasoned so the boat goes out at least once every week or two. Nothing but nothing destroys machinery as quickly as lack of use. If you know what boat you want, you get it and advertise for partners which recoups you some of your capital and gives you others to split the costs of maint with. It is important to qualify your partners though.

If you advertise the partnership first, you can then end up with more boat than you had individual capital to acquire. NEVER over extend yourself banking on getting partners down the road though. I've seen that go bad...