Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder Click for Westport

Largest Private Yacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by PropBet, May 1, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

This came up in conversation the other day. The question was "what's the largest private yacht on record?"

Anyone know?

My guess was something in the 100-125 meter range, but I have no idea if that is anywhere close to accurate.
  2. bee

bee Member

largest yacht

Depends on what one qualifies as largest yacht. In my mind it is a yacht only used by the owner strictly for his own benefit and his guests.
    Therefore by this criteria any yacht that has ever chartered out would not qualify´as ´´ private ´´.
    Also excluded are ´´Royal ´´ yachts.
    Another point which must also be taken into consideration is that bowsprits should be excluded from a ships overall length. It would seem that today owners are including this whereas in ships plans of the 1930´s the LOA always excluded them.
    On this basis maybe Larry Ellison´s RISING SUN could be the largest.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I am under the impression that it is not his anymore.

There is a 160m one coming that will take the crown ( Not owned by LE)
  4. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

You are under a mistaken impression. It is co-owned by him and David Geffen.

I mention names only because the information is quite publicly known.
  5. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

To qualify the question: Largest privately owned (non charter) yacht. (i.e.; Octopus, A, Rising Sun, etc.)

Include or exclude bowsprits and swim platforms as you wish.
  6. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

The largest yacht in the world period is "Dubai" but she is state owned. She still is the largest anyways and you can have a sneek peek at 3 interior shots of her on one of YF's latest sponsors, Platinum Yachts website. Should be somewhere on one of the banners.
  7. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

That would be sufficient for our conversation and qualify as 'the largest'.

Perhaps "Al Said" at 155m would fall in line behind her?
  8. Yacht News

Yes "Al Said" is second largest.(state owned, I think for Oman with Muscat registry)..for now. "Eclipse" Project is full of rumours but is said to be and will be the largest surpassing "Dubai" if any of what is said is truthful.
  9. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Much thanks.
  10. Dan Evans

Dan Evans Senior Member

I believe the largest privately owned yacht would be Alsalamah better known as Mipos at 456 feet 11 inches or 139 meters. I could be wrong about it not being a state yacht because it is owned by a prince. BI just did an article on the largest yachts in their latest issue.

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/hdw-yacht/158-hdw-yachts-al-salamah-built-1999-a.html

Dubai....525 feet
    Alsaid
    Prince Abdulaziz
    Elhorriya
    Alsalamah
    Rising Sun
    Al Mirqab
    Octopus
    Savarona
    Alexander.....400 feet

Dan
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I believe the owner of Al Salamah is now the Crown Prince, I don't think there is much difference in Saudi between state and private at that level.
  12. Dan Evans

Dan Evans Senior Member

I was asking myself about that this morning. So then the prize goes to Rising Sun. Is Al Mirqab also state owned?
  13. Yacht News

I believe so as well because the previous "Al Mirqab" which is now the "Indian Empress" was owned by the Emir of Qatar I am quite sure. Since the ex. OceAnco was sold and the new Peterswerft yacht was built, I believe it is owned by the same person.
  14. Hiper

Hiper New Member

You are correct. The Crown Prince of Saudi is the owner of the Al Salamah. I guess it would probably be considered a "private" vessel since he had built it for personal use, but then again as you rightly said, there's no clear definition of what is personal and what is state property for Royals.
  15. Eiden

Eiden New Member

I guess it's gonna be Roman's new yacht, Eclipse. Its 162m, 525 feet and its going to be done in 2010.... LOOKING FORWARD! :D

"Eclipse will have at least two helicopter pads, several hot tubs, one pool, three launch boats, and a private submarine. For security, Eclipse will be fitted with motion sensors and a special missile-detection system."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eclipse_(yacht)

Attached Files:

16. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Eclipse is Out of the Shed?

I saw on another site that Eclipse is supposedly out of the shed. Can anyone confirm?
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Her lines remind me of Enigma, my all time favorite. Could always pick out her silhouette from over 5 miles away when she was coming into Lauderdale about e/o year..
  18. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Wow.
    That's amazing.
    I simply can't imagine a [personal] boat that's 160+ meters.
    We spend a lot of time on both 40 and 50 meter boats, but 160? Just mind boggling to me personally. We bark about the annual expenses to maintain and operate 40 meters. I can only imagine what 160 would entail.

Hip hip hurray for the global recession. :D

What would one guess to be a suitable crew for a 160 meter boat? 40 or so staff?
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Don't tell me you entertain your English soccer club on a mere 40 or 50m yacht. Isn't that a bit cramped?:rolleyes: