Click for Horizon
Click for McKinna
Click for Bering
Click for McConaghy
Click for Ferretti
Click for Nordlund
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > General Yachting Discussion > Liferaft recommendations?

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Liferaft recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #31 (permalink)

I have a Sportfish and carry my liferaft cannister on the foredeck. I have heard all kinds of reasons and idea's on where to carry the liferaft. Some of my reasons for carrying forward.

1) I have a center rigger and outriggers that could snag or puncture a liferaft. Also hardtop and tuna tower. Also could snag a crew member in the water as it went down.
2) 100 lb cannister would have to be lifted out of the cockpit in order to be deployed vs slid off the bow.
3) Dinghy is also stored on the bow. If I'm going under I'm launching the dinghy first. I'll go to liferaft when the dinghy sinks!
4) Boat has good handrails and easy access to bow. Also large forward hatch escape to bow.
5) Most likely reasons for abandoning ship are sinking and fire. Either way I'm more likely to have more time on the bow than in the cockpit.

I think you have to look at each vessel and the likely crew and decide for yourself.
jhall767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:52 PM   #32 (permalink)

NYCAP

No question. My point is though that if I am trying to sell my own product and you called me saying that you have a cradle already mounted for XYZ, I would already know which of my own products will fit that cradle out of the box or I would make an adapter of some kind so that my cradle would fit in the same footprint knowing that you don't want to mess up your deck with holes that are not covered. I would think that I could sell more of my own product that way.

Just a thought.
Mark I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark I
NYCAP

No question. My point is though that if I am trying to sell my own product and you called me saying that you have a cradle already mounted for XYZ, I would already know which of my own products will fit that cradle out of the box or I would make an adapter of some kind so that my cradle would fit in the same footprint knowing that you don't want to mess up your deck with holes that are not covered. I would think that I could sell more of my own product that way.

Just a thought.
You're thinking logically and in a consumer friendly fashion. Unfortunately, as you've found, that's just not the way it's done. If there were ever a problem where say the case jammed in the cradle and failed to release who would the lawyers go against. Even in this situation where you found a cradle that happened to fit your case you've probably given the manufacturer of both an out from their warranties and liability.
NYCAP123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #34 (permalink)

I called Givens for a price on a 8-man offshore ... it was less than I thought due to a current deal they had (no doubt due to the tough economy) ... I bought it.
Bayside Bert28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #35 (permalink)

Avon raft..good and bad...

I just replaced (2) 8 man switliks with new Avon rafts. The reasons: 1. Avon raft fit in existing cradles and 2. The sealed raft only requires inspection/certification every 3 years. Be aware of one design flaw in the Avon canister....They are quite flexible and if someone steps on it, it will deflect enough to break the seal and allow rain/salt water intrusion (I learned this the hard way). The good news is that my service center dried and resealed it at no cost.
HIBANX is offline   Reply With Quote