Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights Click for JetForums Click for Perko

License

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by fox, Sep 7, 2007.

1. fox

fox New Member

Is a license of any kind needed to pilot a not-for-hire, recreation only trawler yacht? Thanks.

Stuart
  2. yotphix

yotphix New Member

Short answer, no.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Whilst the previous poster may well be correct you might find that your insurance company wants to charge you a healthy premium for not having this piece of paper with your name on it.

There is another post that also shows Insurance Co's. policy.
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/48248-post12.html

If you are planning on traveling outside the US you will also want to check the places you are going to visit along the way to see what they require from visiting vessels in way of Masters Qualifications.
  4. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Why do you think a trawler yacht would have different licensing requirements than any type of motoryacht? Do you have a particular size or type vessel in mind other than a hull shape? Please clarify.

Thanks.

Judy
  5. fox

fox New Member

Thanks all.

Judy,

I didn't think there was any difference between types of yacht. I just worded it the way I did because I am interested in trawlers. A co-worker told me that anything over 45' requires a captain's license. I am not interested in anything that big but would like to know anyway?

Thanks,
    Stuart
  6. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Thanks for the response - mostly what I assumed, but we know about assumptions.

I suggest you call a few insurance agents and ask what their requirements are based on your experience, or lack thereof. Don't forget that small boats and chartering may create a positive history.

Let me know if you need names of insurance agents who insure trawlers. No vested interest.

Judy
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

In the US: No.

The license requirement starts around 199 tons for private ownership and operation..:rolleyes:

If ya want to carry pax or freight for hire however a 10 foot rowboat may require a 6-pack ticket.

Fairly straightforward rules, but the result is a bunch of amateurs driving big boats that should require proffesional help.

Boy, do we see it here in South Florida: All the idiots only need a credit card to captain a big yacht.
    Endorsed by the marine industry of course as it promotes business, safety be ****ed.
    The Coast Guard and the Congress don't give a **** as the lobbyist have done their job to convince even more idiots on Capitol Hill that it is safe to have the ding-dongs run anything beyond 26 feet. :rolleyes:

Fair enough, let them run whatever they want to, but at least take some kind of course and test before they are let loose among other mariners.