Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for JetForums

Small cruiser help

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by Brian, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Brian

Brian Senior Member

Forgive me for posting this as these aren't yachts but I ask for some advise/experience...
    Does anyone out there have any comments on these two types of boats...
    The Albin 25 and the Tiderunner 23.
    We are in the Pacific Northwest and I have not been on either type but think this could be a good fit for us and our area.
    Any issues on stability? Or anything else for that matter.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Brian, here in Sweden, you see the Albin 25 all the time. It was one of the most popular boats of the 70:s and is still a lot of boat for the money. Some have a mast as well, for open winds. Perhaps it can prevent the rolling, since the engines are on the small side, why the boat doesn´t like to be passed by faster boats...

Today it is an old boat so you have to look into how it is maintained, but it is normally not too expensive to update where needed. Here are a few that are for sale in Sweden right now, can be interesting to look at the pictures perhaps. http://www.blocket.se/stockholm?q=albin+25&cg=1060&w=3&st=s&st=u&ps=&pe=&c=&ca=11&md=th
  3. Brian

Brian Senior Member

Thanks.
    So they roll a bit then? (I know, they are small so I would expect some).
    Wow, there's so many still there! I guess a testament to their quality?
    I guess these prices are in Kronors?
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes they can roll a bit, so look for the one with most Hp, they had originally 20 to 36, but I have seen up to 59 Hp.

Prices are in SEK which is about 7 to a Dollar today.

Quality is like WYSIWYG... :) (More than 2.500 were built over ten years)
  5. Brian

Brian Senior Member

Thanks AMG, those prices are better than what I can find around here (given ther are so many there I guess) but shipping costs:eek:
    Can anyone chime in about the Tiderunners?
    I read somewhere they were built in Washington State.
  6. Tiderunner23

Tiderunner23 New Member

Tiderunner 230

Hi,

We have been cruising a Tiderunner 23 for about 5 years. I had a Ranger R-21 tug with a Yanmar 2GM20 but we opted for more cabin space.

For the size of the Tiderunners they have an amazing amount of storage space and they are easy to trailer if you want to take it out of the water in the winter. They do have good heaters and do reasonably well in rough water in Puget Sound. They are small and have a round bottoms so they do roll and you have to remember it is a small boat. We spend up to a week at a time on her and for the two of us it works well.

We looked for a long time to find ours but they are still out there. I believe that most were powered with small VW diesels when new and they didn't have a very long life. It was a good engine but it was just too much load for it. If you find one that still has the VW or has been repowered with Puegot
    you will most likely want to repower with a new engine as parts are getting hard to come by for the older engines. Ours was repowered with a 60 horse Isuzu C-240 diesel and it is a great engine both for its economy and parts availability.

When you at the prices for new small diesel powered trawlers we think they are a bargin.

:)
  7. Brian

Brian Senior Member

Hey thanks for replying.
    That was my first thoughts with the Ranger... the tiny helm area.
    I know these Tiderunners and Albins are small boats so I do expect some rolling. We're coming from an 18.5' Double Eagle cuddy cabin hard top so I'm not expecting much.
    They do sound like good little boats and affordable. Now just to find one!
  8. Tiderunner23

Tiderunner23 New Member

Used Tiderunner

You might check with these guys and see if they still have a Tiderunner. I looked at it, it was in good shape for its age but still had the VW engine with 1500 hours so it may be due for an engine.

Scott

www.dayislandboatworks.com
  9. Brian

Brian Senior Member

Well I thought I'd let you know I just came back from Sidney, BC with our new boat (to us), a 25' Albin!
    'Glad we made the Georgia Straight crossing on Sunday as Monday was gale force out there.
    We won't be getting anywhere quick in this one but will accomodate all of us more comfortably and very economical...about 7litres / $8 to cross the straight (25 miles)!!
    She's got a Volvo Penta 3cyl diesel (1150 hrs) with a straight shaft, full hard top, additional bilge keels, radar, GPS, galley, head, V berth fwd and separate aft cabin with quarter berths.
    We look forward to years of cruising around our beautiful coast!
    Thanks for your info on these little boats.
  10. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Congratulations, Brian!

Thanks for the follow-up. It's always nice to hear a happy ending to a post. And it's great to think that YF and its vast and varied source of knowledgeable readers might have contributed to your decision.

Fair winds and calm seas!

Judy
  11. JB1150

JB1150 New Member

Congratulations on your new addition to the family!