Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for MotorCheck Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service

World's Largest Sportfish?

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by YachtForums, Jun 6, 2006.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Broward built a 105' sportfish.

Westship built a 103' named "The Boss".

Both Hatteras and Burger have build 90’ convertibles.

Queenship built an 87’ named “Mary P”

Does anyone know the largest sportfish?

We may have a successor to the throne. More on this soon…
  2. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

i don't know what is the largest sports fisher but i know that Heesen has a really nice one :) The Karyatis (sorry cant remember how it is spelt)
  3. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

My friends uncle (Hovnanian) built Lady Anna. She was (and I guess still is) 167'. I can't remember who the builder was but there were all sorts of problems with yards going out of business when she was being built. The hull was completed at one place & the ballance of mechanicals and finish at another. The last time Hovnanian was on her, they had major troubles while night fishing.
    Lady Anna is currently located off the New Jersey coast, on the bottom in 250-300 feet of water.
  4. YachtForums

Yes! Forgot about that one. For some reason my brain doesn't think Heesen when I'm in sportfish mode. Karyatis is 105’. Thanks Ron. :)

All of these boats are big enough to frighten a fish, but we may have something on the horizon that could scare a Tuna the size of Toledo out of the water.
  5. YachtForums

Was this a "sportfish style" boat, or more of a charter type fishing boat?
  6. ricardo24

ricardo24 Member

the biggest is lady marlena i think
  7. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

She was a full blown luxury sport fish. She had real nice lines & all the amenities of a yacht her size.
  8. YachtForums

Yes! Marlena was a 126' Trinity. That's what I was looking for, but I couldn't remember it. Thank you Ricardo!

Maybe there is something larger, but this was the boat I was thinking of. I'm about to upload a press release of something big.

Anyone else know of a larger build?
  9. YachtForums

Seems like she would have been worth raising to rebuild? Love to see a picture of this boat.
  10. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Lady Anna was a Denison.
    BUT..........
    She may have been 121'. I just saw that on another site when I googled Lady Anna. I'll try to confirm.
  11. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

The Insurance company tried to raise it twice. There was an article in Boating or Yachting or Power and Motoryacht. I can't remember which magazine. They even showed some pictures from a robot. I remember one shot showing her right side up with fishing poles still in the fighting chair with lines still out!!
  12. MacMcL

MacMcL Senior Member

The Lady Ana was indeed a Denison, probably in the 120' range, but a true sport fishing boat. She did go down off of the New Jersey coast, under some what suspicious circumstances. There was also some protracted litigation between Dennison, the builder, and the owner. It may still be going on. The insurance company did send down a "newt suit" diver who video taped the boat. They were attempting to determine whether or not the boat was scuttled - I don't think they could conclusively prove anything one way or the other. I have seen the video and it is truly amazing. I would die for the Penn International reels in the cockpit. The Captain of the boat testifed at a Coast Guard hearing and subsequently lost his license. He then had a "change of heart" and claimed he would not be the fall guy and produced a totally different set of facts. Who really knows?
  13. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

It was actually just MARLENA. As far as I know, she is still the largest sportfish in the world. She started out somewhere in the neigborhood of 120', but someone else was building a larger boat and the bow pulpit was added in order to retain the title.
  14. YachtForums

Great info all. Thank you! As a small concellation for everyone's contribution, you'll be the first to see, the second largest sportfish. From the builder who brought us Marlena, say hello to the new Trinity 122' "Mary P". I'll upload the press release tomorrow, along with deck plans and a rendering.

Attached Files:

15. brandonw

brandonw Senior Member

Nice looking sportfish. Looks very similar to the Westship 103' but larger. Is there a launch date set yet?
  16. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Now that is a sports fisher! She looks real nice....however, i am not very knowledgeable as it comes to sports fishers but as a novice i can truly say it looks real good i like it....i might even try my hand at building a model of it but i would have to wait on deck plans and the works! I'm trying to finish up my model *Let It Be* a Heesen 3700.
  17. Minnow

Minnow New Member

While "Marlena" may have been built around 126' she was extended somewhere in the Med. last year.
  18. Rene GER

Rene GER Senior Member

19. YachtForums

Good point Rene. If we were to include motoryachts with extended cockpits and fighting chairs, Marlena might be relegated to chasing minnows. (no offense to YF member Minnow!) But in the tradition of classic sportfish style yachts, I think Marlena is the largest... even if she's not a "Lady". ;) Not sure why I remembered her as having the curvy gender prefix, I may have been thinking of Lady Linda by Trinity? Too many boats, too many names… and my central processing unit is antiquated. :rolleyes:
  20. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

Beautiful!!! Considering my 50 Bertram trade in, how much do you suppose the monthly payment would be? I hope it wouldn't be more than $173.50:p ;)
    I'll take two please!