Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander

Spencer 70' IPS

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by 84far, Jul 1, 2010.

1. 84far

84far Senior Member

As you can guess Spencer Yachts have brought out there new 70' with IPS drives. I'm pretty sure there's only 2 of the units, but love if someone could comfirm that?

I'm also guessing that it's achoring system is still not in yet due to the massive hole in the bow...? I'm pretty sure this is just a cruiser as well, and not going to battle with those bow rails, and lack of outriggers and tower etc?

Yet again great lines from the boatworks, I wouldn't mine one myself :D .

Far

Attached Files:

2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Interesting that they would take it out on a sea trial apparently without the ability to anchor it.
  3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It seems as they had another boat following that could help if needed.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

An easy answer to the apparent lack of some equipment on board is this.

It would not be the first time a builder ran a boat with the absolute minimum of gear needed to make it function to try and get the biggest numbers on the speed reading and the lowest numbers on fuel consumption.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

As far as I know, all of the sportfish boats are run without towers, hardtops or any of that installed. Cabo, viking, hatteras, and bertram all do it that way because the tower is an aftermarket item (not factory) and either installed by the dealer (usually) or end customer.

Chances are they are just trying to dial in the IPS system and adjust the steering stops and such.

It doesn't look like a tower is going to be added judging by the small radar arch and all of the electronics added to it on the hardtop. I cannot imagine what kind of anchor they are putting on/into the bow on a sportfish like this. Maybe a megayacht style system where it sits in a pocket?

Anyone know what speed, fuel consumption numbers they did get?
  6. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

did anyone notice the depth of the water where hatteras ran their speed trials??
  7. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

i read an article about this in the latest power and motoryach mag and I believe she has tripple IPs 1200's.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Hatteras generally does their speed tests on the Neuse river which is where they are located and the river their facility is on in New Bern, NC. It is a 2 1/2 hour journey to get to the ocean from the factory each way. Depths in the New Bern river are around 20-40 feet deep if I remember correctly.
  9. 84far

84far Senior Member

Capt J, I wouldn't be surprised if they go for that whole megayachts style anchor pocket, it should come up a treat. It also keeps pointing towards a cruiser type vessel, the crane on the front deck suggests tender.

Trinimax, are you saying the Spencer has the triples, or the Hatt? Cheers

Far
  10. saltysenior

saltysenior Senior Member

when i seen them running ''speed tests'' they sure were not in 20' of water.:rolleyes:
  11. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

the spencer has tripples Ips 1200's at 900 hp each. I think the boat was actually being commissioned by volvo penta as a test platform on the tournament circuit, atleast thats what the article in pmy says
  12. snarlinmarlin

snarlinmarlin New Member

actually

These photos are of the boat running on two 700hp IPS engines to a yard to get hauled to have her three 900hp IPS drives installed. Boats no where near complete in these photos. Speed trials were run all tanks full (except black water), fully rigged and 18 people onboard. I know these guys, they aren't the least bit interested in embellishing the truth.
  13. 84far

84far Senior Member

snarlinmarlin, firstly welcome to Y/F. It sounds like you may have some inside info :D . Whats the deal with the different motor selection, are they seeing how it runs on the two 700's or were they always going to upgrade...? Also is it a staggered setup..? Cheers

Far
  14. snarlinmarlin

snarlinmarlin New Member

The IPS 3 drives weren't ready yet - production is just starting up they're filling customer order commitments first. And there not staggered - they're straight across. Will be interesting.....
  15. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Chris' question on staggered engines is viable. The IPS system places a lot of weight further aft than conventional engine placement, thus Volvo offers a drive shaft extension to move the engines further forward, helping to improve longitudinal CG. The length and planing area of a 70' sportfish may offset the far astern placement of the IPS system, but I suspect Donald Blount's team had to run some numbers for Volvo's Chesapeake facility to compensate.
  16. snarlinmarlin

snarlinmarlin New Member

Yes engines are staggered - outboards are forward of centerline - but drives are all in line.
  17. 84far

84far Senior Member

Thanks guys, I was asking because I still don't think there's really anything there for a S/F 60' and over in the IPS, unless you want to go 3+ in the motor department. Also room was another issue I was thinking about, and getting to the motor for maintenance, but staggered motors should be fine I guess?

snarlinmarlin, do you know when she's hitting the water again...? Cheers

Far
  18. Karl2

Karl2 New Member

Been back in the water for a while. They fished OCWMO and Pirates Cove - Won a daily in both I think.

Karl
  19. 84far

84far Senior Member

Hi Karl,

Is she sporting a tower, or just outriggers. I've been trying to find some finished pictures of her, if it is finished that is. Cheers

Far
  20. Karl2

Karl2 New Member

Took this pic in Ocean City, no tower, riggers only

Karl2

Attached Files: