Click for Pacific Mariner
Click for Bering
Click for Cheoy Lee
Click for Nordlund
Click for Westport
Click for Ferretti
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT & BOAT FORUMS > SportFish Yachts > General Sportfish Discussion > Spencer 70' IPS

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Spencer 70' IPS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #31 (permalink)

I agree and may be more so here, as they are too big. Altough Spencer will surely claim these where owner requested. None the less this is an interesting model from Spencer, and a bit Avant Garde from a custom builder. Considering what Jarrett Bay is doing with there upcoming 45 may be we are onto a new wave here....
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl2
The 49' Express had twin IPS900 - Won the Bahama Wahoo Championship.

Spencer also had a 54' with triple IPS900 at OCWMO - Boats name was "Scandalous" - Won Tuna and came second with a 790 something Blue.

B.T.W - I belive "Lady Luck", tied first with a 88 lbs White at the Mid Atlantic 500, is an IPS boat too. Not sure who built that one.

Karl
Cheers for the update, I also found a youtube clip with the 49 express, very impressive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Y7Z63b_CI
84far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam
I agree and may be more so here, as they are too big. Altough Spencer will surely claim these where owner requested. None the less this is an interesting model from Spencer, and a bit Avant Garde from a custom builder. Considering what Jarrett Bay is doing with there upcoming 45 may be we are onto a new wave here....
Personally, I don't like the windows on any S/F hull, I think its just another thing to go wrong/break. But I don't see this boat taking on the seven seas. Obviously due to the IPS there's room for a VIP berth from side to side, I think that would be the only reason really... and I wouldn't be surprised if the customer pushed for the idea. Cheers

Far
Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #34 (permalink)

I read elsewhere that the owners wife was claustrophobic and requested the windows. Obviously I have no way to verify this but I'd buy that. I think in this market no builder is going to turn down any reasonable requests. I don't care for the windows either or the bow rails for that matter. I know the arguments for bow rails are infinite. I just don't like them on any SF. Teak toe rails no bow rails I say! I'd love to see the floorplan and some interior pics of this yacht with all the space gained with the IPS drives.
Hattsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:34 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattsoff
I read elsewhere that the owners wife was claustrophobic and requested the windows. Obviously I have no way to verify this but I'd buy that. I think in this market no builder is going to turn down any reasonable requests. I don't care for the windows either or the bow rails for that matter. I know the arguments for bow rails are infinite. I just don't like them on any SF. Teak toe rails no bow rails I say! I'd love to see the floorplan and some interior pics of this yacht with all the space gained with the IPS drives.
In one of the spring issues (Must have been May or June issue) of PMY there was and article about this project that showed the floor plan.

Got up close to the boat at Ocean City and at least on the SB side the hull side window is not what it looks like from afar. On the outside there is one big glass panel, this covers three smaller windows into the interior. It looked like the two aft openings was into the master and the most forward opening into the staircase from the salon.
Karl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:11 AM   #36 (permalink)

Karl2, thanks for the article reference. I just read it while enjoying my morning coffee. Very impressive they built this thing in only 15mos. They only mention that the boat belongs to Volvo (which I had read previously) but they don't comment on the fact that one of the big wigs wife wanted the side window. (or that was the rumor I read) Eitherway they did make a comment in the article about that side window being unusual.

They also make a note about the 16,000 btu A/C unit. I sure hope they are just referring to one (of many) units because if thats not the case that is going to be one very warm and uncomfortable yacht!
Hattsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84far
Cheers for the update, I also found a youtube clip with the 49 express, very impressive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5Y7Z63b_CI
The video link shows a video of Spencer's 43' with IPS - Not the 49'.
I think they built three 43' - I had the good fortune to fish a couple of days on one of them a few years ago.

On Spencer Yachts Facebook there are a couple of Videos showing the 49' trolling for Wahoo - Does not show much of the boat itself but it is interesting fishing at 15 knots. See: http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=287596248053

Karl2
Old 09-03-2010, 02:50 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
The video link shows a video of Spencer's 43' with IPS - Not the 49'.
I think they built three 43' - I had the good fortune to fish a couple of days on one of them a few years ago.

On Spencer Yachts Facebook there are a couple of Videos showing the 49' trolling for Wahoo - Does not show much of the boat itself but it is interesting fishing at 15 knots. See: http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=287596248053

Karl2
Yes, my bad. The 49' has a varnished timber transom, the 43' does not. I like the other videos too, there's one where there punching throw a squall, no dramas.

To those wanting to see the layout and engine configuration is as follows.
The layout for the engines is very neat to say the least. Cheers

Far
Attached Images
Old 09-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #39 (permalink)

I believe the Spencer 70 also had a top speed of 38knots... I think with full loads. Not to bad I say.

Far
Old 09-27-2010, 06:23 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
I believe the Spencer 70 also had a top speed of 38knots... I think with full loads. Not to bad I say.

Far
In the PMY article a target wet weight of 90,000 lbs was mentioned and at that weight 40 knots. I would be absolutely amazed if this boat came in at 90,000 wet. I would be impressed if it came in at 100,000 given the enclosed bridge, small boat crane, several bells and some whistles.

90K, 100K or...... If it in fact does 38 knots at any of those displacements it is very impressive with a total of, only, 2,700 hp installed.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:07 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, my bad. The 49' has a varnished timber transom, the 43' does not. I like the other videos too, there's one where there punching throw a squall, no dramas.

To those wanting to see the layout and engine configuration is as follows.
The layout for the engines is very neat to say the least. Cheers

Far
Got this link from a friend who knows a guy at volvo; Interior pics of the Spencer 70': http://volvopentatraining.com/spencer70/interior

Karl
Old 10-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #42 (permalink)

Thanks Karl! Great find! What a beauty!
lovinlifenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
In the PMY article a target wet weight of 90,000 lbs was mentioned and at that weight 40 knots. I would be absolutely amazed if this boat came in at 90,000 wet. I would be impressed if it came in at 100,000 given the enclosed bridge, small boat crane, several bells and some whistles.

90K, 100K or...... If it in fact does 38 knots at any of those displacements it is very impressive with a total of, only, 2,700 hp installed.
Karl, I think it was sea trials, I was having a chat with the V/P rep down here in oz, and this boat came up in the convo.

Also what makes this interesting is if the exact same boat (hypothetically) running standard motor/s configuration would need to be running 3,600hp to get the same performance as the IPS.

Far
Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #44 (permalink)

The Numbers

These are public knowledge but not yet shared here.

Performance of PentaGone - 70 Spencer with triple IPS 1200's (2700 hp)

Fully loaded, 100% fuel, 100% water, 100% holding, 10 people aboard for a test weight of 98,600 lbs.

Averages from runs up and down wind:

2362 rpm (WOT) - 38.3 kts - 134.1 gph
2300 rpm (rated) - 37.0 kts - 123.9 gph
2000 rpm (cruise @ 80% load) - 30.2 kts - 93.4 gph

Cruise range of 28 to 33 knots burning .30 gal/NM
CaptEvan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptEvan
These are public knowledge but not yet shared here.

Performance of PentaGone - 70 Spencer with triple IPS 1200's (2700 hp)

Fully loaded, 100% fuel, 100% water, 100% holding, 10 people aboard for a test weight of 98,600 lbs.

Averages from runs up and down wind:

2362 rpm (WOT) - 38.3 kts - 134.1 gph
2300 rpm (rated) - 37.0 kts - 123.9 gph
2000 rpm (cruise @ 80% load) - 30.2 kts - 93.4 gph

Cruise range of 28 to 33 knots burning .30 gal/NM
A little more fuel efficient then conventional drives, but not as fuel efficient over conventional drives as what I would've expected. 3.09 gallons per mile. Although you have 3 engines pushing the boat at the same speed you could push the boat at with 2 engines and conventional drives.

I worked on a 75' Jim Smith SF with a tuna tower and 16v 2000's and it burned 150gph at 35 knots at cruise (1950 rpms) conventional drives 4.29 gpm, but at a faster cruise speed. If the Jim Smith had less HP where it cruised at 30 knots at 80% load it would probably have fuel figures pretty darn close to the IPS spencer.

I also ran a 63 sonny briggs for a day, it cruised at 30 knots with 900 mans burning 90 gph, and burned 3 gpm with conventional drives. It too had a full tuna tower.
Capt J is offline   Reply With Quote