Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Perko

Bertram, Cabo or Riviera?

Discussion in 'General Sportfish Discussion' started by Dubai Fishing, May 2, 2010.

1. Dubai Fishing

Dubai Fishing New Member

I am based in Dubai and fish every weekend. As a family we currently have a Robalo 26' sports fishing boat which has been reliable, but now feels a little small for us.
    I need some advice please on what would be the ideal size to move up to and which brand to purchase. My plan is to purchase a used boat from the USA.
    90% of the time we go out for a 12 hour day trip and have never slept on board.
    The weather in this part of th world is very hot in summer and cool in winter, so the boat needs to be durable.
    The boat and engine dealers are not as developed as the USA so the boat needs to be reliable and the engines too.
    The brands I have been looking at are Bertram, Riviera, Cabo and Viking.
    The size that seems to be right for us would be 35' to 45', however I think Viking start at 52'
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thank you
  2. 84far

84far Senior Member

Mate, I would go for the Viking 46c (if that's in the budget). It does seem a little heavy conpared to the others though. But you would have to compare motor sizes and dry/wet weights etc to get a better idea. It also looks to have a cleaner hull (better hydrodynamics) then the others.
    The Bertram and Riviera (Riv - last choice), seem to be more targeting the island hopers, rather than fishing. Cheers

Far
  3. Dubai Fishing

Dubai Fishing New Member

Thank you for your advice Far, much appreciated.
  4. vlafrank

vlafrank Senior Member

Bertram - Cabo - Viking - Riviera: in that order. Are there any good charter fishing boats available over there? One way to solve your "choice" problem is to go out on each of those brands and see which one you like best. Talk to the mechanics and crew and see which one gives the least trouble. Then buy the biggest and best example you can find.
  5. MedRascal

MedRascal Senior Member

check out the Cabo 40 Express available with either Zeus/Cummins pods or traditional MAN or CAT direct shaft.

Cockpit has the widest beam of the category, ideal for fishing. And their engine rooms are the cleanest to be ever found on a sportfishing boat (gelcoat finished)

Hull warranty has been extend from 7 to 10 years on construction fault...
  6. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Viking is about to introduce a new 42' with pods. I would make Riviera your last choice and would tell you to thoroughly sea trial a cabo before considering one. As far as bertrams go, I would tell you to find a slightly used 450, assuming it will pass a rigorous survey, its one hell of a boat.
  7. Dubai Fishing

Dubai Fishing New Member

Appreciate it

Thanks everyone who has posted a reply to my question, your advice will help me make a better decision.
  8. 84far

84far Senior Member

vlafrank, Why the Bertram at the top of the list? Also, good idea in taking them all for a test run... Dubai Fishing, make sure the weather is bad ;).

Far
  9. Dubai Fishing

Dubai Fishing New Member

Voltage

Dear All;
    Looking into the differences between the power requirements in Dubai and the USA it appears there is a difference:
    USA 120V 60Hz
    and
    Duai 220V 50 Hz
    A quick question for those who have Bertram's and Riviera's do the boats come with dual shore power options for both voltage and frequency requirements or must I do a conversion?
    Appreciate any input.
  10. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Not that I know of. I have a tenant right now that's preparing 3 31 Bertrams, 1 54 bertram and a 65 hatteras for an owner Dubai. Based on what I've seen his group buy over the last two years, I'd probably stick with the Bertram just because of the brand recognition but definitely expect to change all the electrical in the boat.
  11. 84far

84far Senior Member

The guys here at work are doing a change over with some systems, I'm pretty sure it's a Bertram aswell from the States. I would expect the same where you are, and it shouldn't be that costly. I think K1W1 would be pretty clued up on this one, if his lurking around...?

Far