Click for Glendinning Click for Comfort Click for YF Listing Service Click for MotorCheck Click for JetForums

Chryseis, 120' 3 Mast schooner from 1906

Discussion in 'General Sailing Discussion' started by absys, May 15, 2006.

1. absys

absys New Member

This historical vessel is grounded in Galvestone, Texas after it sank in 2004, it was salvaged and is now waiting for eventual new owner...
    In 1985 this vessel was like original from the appearance, but in 1998 it was modified, a second floor was added and so transformed to be Bed and Breakfeast moored, the masts were removed as well.
    This 120 feet 3 Mast superb schooner was built by eventually the "Clipper Company" of Le Havre in 1906, by order of Louis Renault founder of the car company of the same name...
    Later on it was count Ciano's Yacht and Mussolini's after that...

I am trying to find pictures of this Vessel, dated from 1906 until 1990...Itis kind of difficult due to before internet Era...

The boat was used in different movies like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Count of monte Christo, it was as well used by Club Med, this eventually before even Club Med was founded...

Unverified source mentions it as :

Chryseis schooner built in 1906 by Clipper Company, Le Havre, Hull 0227

Any infos would be really appreciated, thanks..
  2. steve27

steve27 New Member

Chryseis info

hello,
    Steve I was the skipper who crossed the Atlantic in 1982 on Chryseis. If you want info on this boat, I can give you some.
    Here is my email: adam.steve.speglio (at) gmail.com
    greetings.
  3. tomflesner

tomflesner New Member

Salvage of Chrysies

I was the salvage master that raised the Stacia Leigh (formerly the Chrysies)when it sank in Galveston. Am looking for any photos of the yacht before it was converted to a bed and breakfast. I'm also the one that convinced everyone that we could raise it without cutting off those beautiful masts! Beautiful lines!!
  4. SFS

SFS Senior Member

That's a sad way to go, to have a porthole put underwater by a concentration of heavy guests. Is that really what happened?
  5. tomflesner

tomflesner New Member

Thanks Old Phart, I had found the old one you posted, was hoping for something more recent. SFS - yep.
  6. Rollocks

Rollocks New Member

Hello Steve

I am collating information on this historic vessel. I wonder if you would be able to assist me in gathering some images of the vessel as she was under your command?

kind regards

Andy aka Rollocks.
  7. personalflags

personalflags New Member

Pavillon3. Louis Renault bis.jpg

Hello, this is a 1908 Chryséis engraved Menu and correspondence card.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  8. absys

absys New Member

More infos found on a forum regarding Renault family and cars...

It is confirmed to be made in France, one guy posted part of the original draft of the vessel made for Mr. Renault...

http://www.les-renault-d-avant-guerre.com/t2201-Le-ChryseIs.htm

I lived 3 month on this boat after it came from Europe to USA with Steve Speglio as owner at the time. Steve was a great guy and captain. He could narrate stories for hours, lots of things he went through...

The Fregate was stopped in Cuba somewhere around 1984, they entered Cuban waters as the skipper fell asleep. Apprehended as some staff was smoking weed and all the cabins were smelling, the Cubans destroyed the whole interior in search of drugs. The weed few of the staff were smoking was sent overboard before the seizure...

I was part of a team to restore the vessel for new adventures for scientists in the Galapagos, i left and this never took place, lack of funds or eventually the manager of the rebuild was not up to the task.

Upload of pictures found on the Forum linked...

Attached Files:

9. Jan talako

Jan talako New Member

Hi all
    Am new here and just seen this post
    Does anyone know if Chrysies is still languishing in Texas ?
  10. Dave Selby

Dave Selby New Member

Hi Tom,

Here you go. This pic was given to me when I was kid in the 1960s by the harbour master at Villefranche-sur-Mer (France) where Chryseis lay. The twin funnels were set dressing for her earlier use in Chitty Chitty Bang Film. These days I'm a maritime writer and historian and have, after all these years, decided to revisit the story. Particularly, does anyone know what has become of her since her salvage?

Chryseis.jpg
  11. Dave Selby

Dave Selby New Member

Hi Andy, would like to make contact re Chryseis - my fascination stems from when I saw her as kid in 1960s/70s in south of France and harbour master gave me some great pics, which I have to this day.
  12. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Hey, Dave Selby. Tomflesner hasn't logged on here since July 12, 2014, and Andy hasn't since January 4, 2015; looks like they're becoming relics themselves.:(
  13. Jesse Barnes

Jesse Barnes New Member

Hello, I know it's been years since Steve has signed on. I'm looking for information on the whereabouts, registration, use, etc. of the Chryseis prior to 1998. Most specifically in 1996.

Thanks,