Click for Comfort Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Glendinning

TRAGIC SINKING of Classic Sailing Yacht "PPALU"

Discussion in 'General Catamaran Discussion' started by brian eiland, Mar 29, 2014.

1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

2. brian eiland

Why Project Ppalu?

Project Ppalu, founded by D. Randy West a famous sailor in the Caribbean, is about the restoration of a historically classic and famous catamarn. The epitimy of Peter Spronk designs, Ppalu was built out of wood epoxy with clipper bows and lapstrake sides and tiny transoms. She was at that time most likely the largest and most beautiful sailing catamaran of the world.

After a short history of fame as the racing yacht “Paul Ricard” she was sold into the day charter trade and like a great race horse ridden and put away wet, she for the next 35 years slowly fell into a state of disrepair.

Randy always had an affinity for Ppalu since her launching where he physically helped carry her into the water on that memorable day in 1978 on the island of St. Maarten. After trying to acquire Ppalu for 20 years, Randy realized now that Ppalu was beyond repair and in need of a major restoration, thus Project Ppalu.

After seven months of restoration at St. Kitts Marine Works, Ppalu was holed and sank in Simpson Bay, St. Maarten on March 9, 2014.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I was only able to view bits & pieces of the video. The last parts when she was hauled showed it was not a hole, 30 feet of planks were Missing.

She take out a reef top? or fell apart?
    Did sitting on the bottom for half a night cause all that damage?

The story I understood, she was at anchor and started sinking.

Then, more info, the hulls were just re-fitted?
  4. brian eiland

Some photos of Ppalu

Attached Files:

5. sagharborskip

sagharborskip Senior Member

Sad Indeed

I sailed on Ppalu several times in the early 90's when she was in the BVI - it was a great ride.

I wonder if something like Kickstarter would be a good place for those guys to raise the cash they now need...I wouldn't know how to get in touch w/ them, though.
  6. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

7. NewSouthSailor

NewSouthSailor New Member

Donations

If you google Project Ppalu you get their Facebook page and the project's own blog page as first hits. On both you can find instructions to donate through Paypal, credit cards or check.
  8. brian eiland

Going sailing a Ppalu tomorrow. Boat has been in St Augustine the last few weeks, and is now going back down to her 'northern mooring' in Daytona beach area.