Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Burger

Operating Costs for a 40' Cat in the Keys

Discussion in 'General Catamaran Discussion' started by sarge1961, Oct 11, 2010.

1. sarge1961

sarge1961 New Member

What do you think the total operating costs of a 40' sailing Cat, say... 10 years old, would be for one guy full time in the Keys area that isn't tying up to a pier but maybe 2 months a year. Also what would you say is a comfortable minimum $ income to enjoy the lifestyle, maintain the boat properly, and do periodic upgrades?

Warm Thanks
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Not including food, I would think $2k a month would be more then plenty to maintain the boat, fix things, upgrade here and there, and live-aboard if you're staying on anchor. Keep in mind freshwater and showers are going to be an issue, as is electricity or lack there-of unless you run a generator or get a few solar panels and a wind generator. But a Cat has a lot of room to mount solar panels compared to a mono-hull.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The holding tank is going to be a big issue, but I guess we know how that will be handled.:mad:
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

$1000 to $2000 if on the hook should be fine depending on the conditioning the boat

Indeed water may be the nr 1 issue. If you can to a hose though it easy to put a 50usg bladder and an electric bellow pump in the dink and bring water back on board

For power a good battery bank, inverter, and solar/wind wahould be fine on a cat. a genny will help but a large alternator could be enough

Waste, yep... Big issue. Not too many pump outs in the keys going offshore and dumping is the only solution
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yeah, that's going to happen.:rolleyes: My experience with live aboard sail-boaters is that showers are not a big priority and the thought of burning a gallon of diesel to properly dispose of waste is sacrilege for most.
    A couple of other things to be considered are that staying on the hook 10 months of the year on a 40' is tantamount to solitary confinement. Also, provisions are going to be expensive. There is no such thing as buying in bulk so everything will be bought at a premium price, especially in the Keys, and will have the added expense of a cab ride. And don't forget garbage disposal. You won't want garbage hanging around for more than a day or two in the Keys without a/c.
    It sounds like Sarge is looking for the beachcomber lifestyle. This is not 1957. It's gone.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i guess the fast approaching NY winter season is why you are so positive... :)

There are challenges to living on the hook anywhere but the keys are probably a pretty easy place to do it. tehre are numerious big supermarkets with decent prices, some close to the water.

there are places in the keys with water access to large supermarket chains, garbage disposal and even pump out...
  7. JB1150

JB1150 New Member

I don't know if sarge is looking for a beachcomber life style. I think he's got 25+ years in the military and is looking to see if his pension is going to cover the cost of his civilian life style. Right or wrong, go for it and let us know how you are making out.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Civilian lifestyle he can afford. Yachting lifestyle though will suck him dry unless he's to be one of those boaters that become a marina's nightmare.
  9. JB1150

JB1150 New Member

Ouch Capt.

I hope to one of those guys one day!
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That's OK as long as you're not my neighbor. You just don't want to end up there thinking you're heading for life at Ocean Reef.:D Me, I'm just looking to become a dirty old man. That requires a little more money (bail).:D
  11. JB1150

JB1150 New Member

With some of the TV shows you discussed, I already thought you were a dirty old man!:D
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

DK about the TV shows, but I'm still in training. When I got married I told my bride that when I get to 70 I intend to have any woman I can still catch. It's in my contract.:D
  13. sarge1961

sarge1961 New Member

I did not retire, I was thrown out. I am an Air Assault Combat Infantryman that fell out of about a 1000 helicopters and broke my back and then I contracted an autoimmune disease from all the shots they gave me before going overseas each time (CIDP). I can no longer take care of a home or family or property and I refuse to go into a nursing home at 49. I am just trying to find a place to go. I don't want to do anything wrong. I admit to having much to learn about many things, yachting being just a small part of it. If there is a better way of doing something, I probably did not know about it.
  14. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

First thing Sarge, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE AND SACRIFICES. Unfortunately, life on the water is much harder than life on land. This is taking us away from boats and I appologize to the Forum, but have you considered either a condo or an RV. Either one would be far less demanding physically, financially and mechanically than a boat, and would afford you a better lifestyle. There is also more assistance available on land (meals on wheels, home health aids, church programs, neighbors, veteran's associations and programs, DAV, American Legion, etc.) Pardon the assumption, but you may unknowingly be trying to hide from the world and we both know that is not your style. Stand proud and demand whatever help you need. You've earned it. I agree that a nursing home is no place for a 49 year old with your background.
  15. jhall767

jhall767 Senior Member

First of all thanks for your Service to our Country.

An RV lifestyle would be much easier. You should check out Sigsbee and Trumbo Military campgrounds in Key West. I think it's something like $21 / night. You may have to move every two weeks but it is about the cheapest housing down there. Last time I was down there my bus driver was retired military living on one of those campgrounds. You can still get in a lot of boating at the same time without needing a boat big enough to live on. Best of luck.
  16. sarge1961

sarge1961 New Member

Tell me how I can, not why I can't

I am coming down there and I am going to buy a 36-42' sail cat that I can work from the cockpit. I just need help picking out the right one. I do not belong in general population and I can not sit in a car seat long enough to drive anywhere.
  17. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

you probably need to start by looking up various cats on ************** to see what's in your budget and what boat woudl work best for you. There aren't too many cats for sale in the keys so make sure you look at boats in all of fl to expand the selection, incl the west coast.

you may want to ask specific layout questions in sailing forums where you will find many more people who are into sailing and knowledgeable aboat small cats. Latandatts or livingaboard for instance...
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

This is a good option, and the Navy Base has boats that you can rent for a reasonable price to go out on the water for the day anytime you desire.
  20. JB1150

JB1150 New Member

Hi Sarge,

Sorry to hear that your career did not end on more favorable circumstance. As with the others, thank you for your service and sacrafice. I have no personal experience on a sailing cat but have read many blogs about it and the lievaboard experience. Google "The great loop" and you will find organizations that discuss cruising around a good portion of the US. These organizations have links to a good number of boaters who blog about their experiences doing it or in the process of. These blogs typically contain many stories about their live-aboard experience. Good luck and keep us apprised of your plans.