Click for Elling
Click for Moonen
Click for Elling
Click for Lurssen
Click for Pacific Mariner
Click for MotorCheck
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > GENERAL YACHTING DISCUSSION > Frequently Asked Yacht Questions > Yacht Charters

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Yacht Charters

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAP123
TIPS were once .................... I'll then drop $50 on the dockmaster.
Then maybe that Iphone tipping app. needs to be updated with your specific marina tipping formulae
tirekicker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirekicker11
Then maybe that Iphone tipping app. needs to be updated with your specific marina tipping formulae
Only if it's less generous than I am. If it's more then maybe I need to be updated. I sure don't want a rep for being cheap or I could find myself short a slip for holidays.
NYCAP123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtjocky
I just love it when all the experts jump in and tell me that "obviously I have no idea" how the business works, how a crew works really hard etc etc.

My point is if the crew were to receive a reasonable yearly salary why would there be any need for tips. you want to keep the salaries low and get a tip for a few weeks work fine, but what about the crews on other boats.

You want salaries to stay at or just above minimum wage that is if fine by me but I would be advocating a higher salary plus benefits so you know what your income is going to be. How many of you have heard of a cancelled charter due to...whatever reason. That lost tip is not going to be replaced in time for your next rent or car payment.

and as for those who bury their head in the sand and deny that some crews pick and choose which charters they will work, get real and listen to some horror stories from owners & charter brokers. I think you will also find some interesting reading in some trade magazines on that subject as well.

Maybe Ken can also enlighten me that since "my experience is in Florida" why would the charter business vary from our state to the US. Have I missed something, did Fidel or the Seminoles take us over, are we no longer part of the US.
I agree with Ken as well based upon what you have written regarding chartering. It also seems you want to always come across in an argumentive way not typical of the majority of poster on yachtforums.

On another note, to answer your question as to why they should tip when the crew is recieving the normal rate to work at their positions on that size yacht. The normal rate crew typically recieve is based upon a private owner that does not charter.

A charter group on-board for a week, is almost never like an owner and guests on board for a week. The hours and work are almost always double. Charterer's typically are like College kids on Spring Break. They want to pack in every single activity that they can into every single day and basically experience as much as they can in a single week as well as eat every single meal on the boat. Owner's typically are much more relaxed and do half as many activities in a week and are typically compassionate about the crew and a lot of owners will say, hey we're going out for dinner and drinks you guys take off and do the same. I've had owners I worked for, that stayed on-board for a month straight, and would only eat dinner on the boat every 3rd night. Why, because they own the yacht and have done everything and can always do something next trip. Anyways, the tips make up for the disparity of hours. And, who says owners don't tip either? Most of the ones I work for tip me every single trip. i just did a 14 day trip/delivery with an owner and he tipped me over 15%
Capt J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
And, who says owners don't tip either? Most of the ones I work for tip me every single trip. i just did a 14 day trip/delivery with an owner and he tipped me over 15%
Ditto. The owners that want to stay in my schedule treat me very well (at times even doubling my rate), and it's very common that I'm invited to dine ashore with the owners.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #35 (permalink)

CaptJ, so you agree that Florida is not part of the US just like Ken suggested.

Arguementative, let me think about some of your posts should we, Obamacare being just one, telling one poster he has no idea what happened at GM. Seawalls etc etc etc.

The list goes on and on.

I am told that I have no idea what I am talking about and you expect me to sit back and listen to that rubbish. Have you ever owned a yacht that was chartered or have you ever paid for a charter yourself. I have done both so I speak from experience.

Yes there is no doubt Captains and crew work harder when charterers are onboard but and it is a big but, the rest of the world also works hard every day of every week. Now try and convince me that you or a full time captain and crew work "hard" everyday and remember before you answer that I am on least one yacht on a daily basis and see exactly what goes on.

That is not being arguementative just stating the facts that I see every day.

I think that if you where to read my posts and understand what I am bringing up is the fact that I am advocating increasing the basic salary of those onboard so they do not have to rely on tips.
Yachtjocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:

Arguementative, let me think about some of your posts should we, Obamacare being just one, telling one poster he has no idea what happened at GM. Seawalls etc etc etc.

The list goes on and on.

I am told that I have no idea what I am talking about and you expect me to sit back and listen to that rubbish. Have you ever owned a yacht that was chartered or have you ever paid for a charter yourself. I have done both so I speak from experience.

Yes there is no doubt Captains and crew work harder when charterers are onboard but and it is a big but, the rest of the world also works hard every day of every week. Now try and convince me that you or a full time captain and crew work "hard" everyday and remember before you answer that I am on least one yacht on a daily basis and see exactly what goes on.

I think that if you where to read my posts and understand what I am bringing up is the fact that I am advocating increasing the basic salary of those onboard so they do not have to rely on tips.
Can't argue about increasing the basic salaries, but you'll never take tips out of the service industries. First, even if you raise basic salaries we're still not talking CEO salaries. Second, it give workers that little extra incentive to take service to that next level, even subconsciously. Third, it gives people who are fortunate, an opportunity to do something good for someone less well off and in general insures that they receive special care in return.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #37 (permalink)

NYCP123,

you give a reasonable arguement instead of others accusing me of this & that and to be honest if they knew my past they would wonder why & how I am arguing against the tip culture. Maybe it was because I was ripped off when drunk many a night when a check was presented to me, I paid by credit card and signed for a tip of 20 to 50% or higher (depending on how good looking she was) not realizing that the little cutie had the code to hit the automatic 18%added to the check for parties larger than 6 (normally I was by myself) before the credit card was run.

So a $50 tab was brought to me which showed a total of $59 and I would round it up to at least $75.

I was a soft touch & paid many a young girl's rent, utility bill or even in one case for one waitress to leave town to get away from the drug culture she was in. Never dated her but did it because I am arguementative and do not like lazy Captains . Got a letter years later thanking me along with a photo of her family.

In my bar / restuarant I stopped the tips but doubled the salary and put them all on benefits. Same staff for years.

On my boat, the crew worked hard and again I paid them about 30% above the average on a yearly salary.

When I have chartered my yacht I charge a flat fee, about $3,000 per week above average (if there is such a thing as average) for the size of yacht but no extra's and no tipping.

Bistro restuarant last week, young waitress nearly in tears due to slow night and the need to have her car repaired, my tab was $530 and the total paid was $800, she is back driving and smiling and I know I can as usual get a table any time I want in that place.

What a shame her basic salary was not high enough to pay the repair biil herself.

So please I do not need to be lectured about tips, charterers or told that the charter contracts are different between Florida and the US.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
So please I do not need to be lectured about tips, charterers or told that the charter contracts are different between Florida and the US.
No, but you may need a lecture on booze, pretty women and not signing checks without reading what is written. (the scanner runs with the pretty women). Back on subject though, in theory you've got a good idea. The big problem with it is that you base your rate on your costs. The other boats pass that cost on directly to the customer by paying less and suplimenting with tips. That leaves you charging more on the face of it, which makes it hard to compete. There are of course some top end charters, hotels, whatever that don't use tips, but you won't be choosing them based even slightly on price.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #39 (permalink)
AMG
YF Moderator

Quote:
Nobody has said this, Ken said (twice) that since you were in Florida (as in the USA) you does not have the same tipping situation as in the Med and elsewhere.
AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:

The list goes on and on.

I don't even know how to answer to this. YOU posted the thread asking why charterers tip and pay for the fuel they use and the groceries they eat (imagine that). Now you're proclaiming to be an expert, well which is it??????

Tipping is standard throughout the industry, period, end of story. The charterers tip AFTER the charter is concluded and the amount that THEY choose to tip. Tips are based upon the level of service they recieve. So How or why do you do you propose to change an industry standard that has been working for a century, and why? Besides no yacht knows how many charters they're going to get this year, and how many weeks the owner will be on board, and how many weeks it will be sitting idle.

As for the seawalls, Obamacare, and GM. I was correcting false information, so other readers did not believe it as true, and even listed referances showing the FACTS, plain and simple.

If you happen to see crew loafing a little at the dock, it might be to make up for having to work 30 days straight, 14hrs+ a day, with guests on board. You see what goes on during the downtime, not when they're not at the dock. Sort of like at your local bar between 2 and 4pm. It's after the lunch rush, yet before happy hour, so the hardworking bar crew get to loaf a little before the big rush.

As for the restaurant or bar putting gratuity on your bill and you being too drunk to read it, or realize it. Well, maybe you should consider seeking help. I always look at every bill that is handed to me before I pay it, as does just about everyone on here.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
...30K a year salary, go into a few marinas down here and offer those wages and there would be no shortage of young kids jumping at the chance and not expecting any benefits.

Since from the job postings (and wage sites) I believe a $30K base is average for experienced deck/interior crew on 35m and up motor yachts, what size yacht (and thus weekly charter rate) were you thinking of when you started this thread?

Rod
rodsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt J
As for the restaurant or bar putting gratuity on your bill and you being too drunk to read it, or realize it. Well, maybe you should consider seeking help. I always look at every bill that is handed to me before I pay it, as does just about everyone on here.
I always check and keep receipts because have had restaurants double charge meals frequently enough that its a problem.
zudnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #43 (permalink)

Did I mention Europe or the Med ?.

Talked to a crew member today who works for $12.50 per hour & no benefits.

Maybe I should have suggested that you re-look at your posts about changing pistons etc while underway as when I correct you I am arguementative however when you do it is because you are correcting false information.

Why, because the industry has gone about its business in a certain way for years, can it not be changed. Who would have thought you could go on a cruise for $50 per day on a Carnival boat or even go to the higher end cruise ships and still find it relatively very cheap.

Now let me throw this one out, how about a yacht that has good toys, sleeps 12 guests and has sister vessels in the USA, Caribbean, Europe or the far east.

The Captain & crew are on good wages (no TIPS) they all work 3 month on and 3 month off with the same quality and trained crew to replace them.

A charterer can use the yacht in the Caribbean one year and then know that they are going to get the same or very similar service in the Med the next year.

For a set price they get to use the boat in their choice of location and maybe this would change the industry and bring many more people to the yacht charter business creating alot more jobs at the same time.

...and I have been told that I need help for years so that is nothing new but I have kinda done OK without listening to that advise and as for the girls.... maybe I should start another thread about.....
Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
a yacht that has good toys, sleeps 12 guests and has sister vessels in the USA, Caribbean, Europe or the far east.

The Captain & crew are on good wages (no TIPS) they all work 3 month on and 3 month off with the same quality and trained crew to replace them.

A charterer can use the yacht in the Caribbean one year and then know that they are going to get the same or very similar service in the Med the next year.

For a set price they get to use the boat in their choice of location and maybe this would change the industry
Been done for nearly 20 years I believe, and it's just another part of the charter industry.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAP123
Been done for nearly 20 years I believe, and it's just another part of the charter industry.
Monacle does that to a degree with the fractional ownerships. An owner on a Hargrave based in the US/carribbean can exchange weeks with an owner on a hargrave that does the med and so on.

I feel if most people wanted to charter the same boat in all these locations, they might just purchase one. A lot of charterers like to switch around to different types of yachts in addition to the locations. Sometimes they want a large yacht, sometimes a smaller one. etc......I don't know.