Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Liveaboard Info/Help?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by creepin, Feb 15, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. creepin

creepin New Member

Thinking of becoming liveaboards and would like to stay if possible in the 50 to 60’ range. Would be my wife and two daughters, would be in US water ie Boston, Maryland, Fl, Poss CA.San Fran. Just looking for some help/info, I’m not new to boating by any means. Just not sure about the 50’+ bang for the buck or 50’ to 60’ capability for liveabord, any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.(You only live once).........:)
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Welcome to the Forum.
    Are you talking power or sail, fast or spacious. Bi-coastal means a much more seaworthy boat ($$) for transit as opposed to comfortable. How old are the kids? What kind of purchase money are you talking about and what kind of experience do you have?
  3. rocdiver

rocdiver Senior Member

4. Todd S

Todd S New Member

I have 4 kids, two older daughters and two twin boys 10. We live aboard our 666 Ocean Super sport most all summer. Going to 50' plus boat has many advantages especially when the weather turns and you are trapped with all the lovely family aboard. The extra room allows for privacy and to enjoy the rainy days as much as the sunny ones.

Washer Dryer are a must with smaller children as is a full size refridgerator so not as many trips to the store to stock up supplies.

Todd Smith
    Knot Normal
    66' Ocean Super Sport
    Grand Haven Michigan
  5. hai2basith

hai2basith New Member

Great Living Yachts

I owned a 55' from a yard in Dubai and should say it is really great. These yachts in the Gulf region are a perfect for living on board and has a great living space in. The quality yes, there needs to be some more caring from the builders but a real mediator or surveyor can take care of it. Its worth watching. I owned the 55 Ambassador.
    Good Luck!
  6. rocdiver

rocdiver Senior Member

Confused

OK, I'm missing something here; How is going from a 66' (many of which have a 4 stateroom layout) to a ~50' (almost certainly 3 stateroom max) going to give you extra room for privacy and to enjoy the rainy days?

Further, a full size fridge and a washer/dryer on a 50ish' is somewhat rare. Maybe I'm misreading something? :confused:

ROCKY
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I think what he was trying to say is to go for a boat bigger than 50' if you want to be able to enjoy these other features( space, big fridge etc)

That's my take on the words and how they were used anyway.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Exactly! Two seperate pieces of info. He and his brood on a 666 and recommending that creepin is right in considering at least 50'. Todd S is not talking about downsizing.
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

1) As a boater since age 6 I wouldn't question the sign of the devil on a boat. I've referred to them as worse.:D Probably not great for marketing though.
    2) You're combining two different posters. The original poster is Creepin who hasn't been back. The second poster you refer to is Todd S.:eek:
  10. rocdiver

rocdiver Senior Member

My Bad

NYCAP,
    I was confusing 2 different posters. Too much coffee, typing too fast :eek:

The sign of the devil thing is funny though ;)
  11. capval

capval New Member

A private message to Creepin about our 56' Matthews Voyager Motor Yacht had a link to view specs and photos. As 15 year liveaboards, I can attest that ample space and a good layout are key elements for comfort in order to enjoy this pleasureable lifestyle. You don't want to feel that your boat is "growing smaller" and that you need to move up to a larger vessel to have enough space. The 56' Matthews wide-body has full beam width living space. The flybridge aft seating area was expanded, providing even more space to live during the day and entertain. Galley up is a real plus in my opinion.
  12. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

50' is really the minimum for living aboard unless you want to be camping. usually, at 50' full sized fridge/freezers and washer/dryer are normal.

the original poster didn't mention budget and new, almost new or old preferences...

generally speaking, in that size range (50 to 60) any true flush deck will make a good liveaboard. Hatteras (from the old 53 to some of the later boats like the 54, 56, build into the 90s), some older Chris, mathews, viking, etc...

the big question is budget.

as to going to the west coast, it raises some seaworthiness questions but most decent 50+ MYs shoudl be able to make the trip although fuel economy can be an issue. If so, looking at trawlers may not be a bad idea either.

I've been living aboard on an older Hatteras 53 for almost 6 years, it offers tremendous value. My kids lived with me for a while (teens), no problem. they each had their stateroom and their own head.

Prices have come down in past couple of years and you now find later models with wider beam for not much more than the older 15'10" beam boats where selling 5 or 6 years ago.

if budget is not an issue, the 100' broward repo'd that Tucker posted would be the ultimate liveaboard :)
  13. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

BTW, Creepin, a 49 DeFever Cockpit offers space for, if not the actual installed options, a full-sized washer & dryer (220VAC Bosch) + full-beam master and a cabin for the kids. An inexpensive choice.
  14. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Live-aboard

Some good suggestions in the posts below. I suggest starting by looking at your cruising plans and then decide on the appropriate type of vessel. You want to get "there" safely and comfortably.

Look at size in particular manufacturers that meet the qualifications. Think about layout in terms of choices of places to eat, separate areas for individual escape (such as an aft deck or a pilothouse), and play areas like a cockpit or flybridge. Budget will come in to play on perhaps age and manufacturer rather than size; some smaller sizes trawlers such as Loren's suggestion might be roomier than motoryachts in general.

Judy Waldman
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

One very fundimental qualifying question has yet to be answered by Creepin which could put all of this speculation to waste. He is from the Upper Chesapeake Bay area. That area is very big on....SAIL. The area is also not real big on trawlers.
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Good Point but as he/she joined in August 07 and only got around to doing the first post yesterday we might have to wait a couple of years for the answer to creep up on us :)
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Caught that eh K1W1?;) I like a good discussion as much as anybody, but until Creepin comes back on this gets pointless. Considering the amout of time it takes him to decide to turn on his computer wouldn't you love to be his broker.:eek: :D
  18. creepin

creepin New Member

Come on now.......:D
  19. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Were you looking for advice or just hitting a wrong key stroke that got you here? If it's the first then you might like to check out post #2.
  20. creepin

creepin New Member

Power, Thinking and have been for a while 53 Hatteras.(I should have stated more info) Seaworthy...I'm not sure of the correct and or degrees/tec level of seaworthy but I would like it to be capable if that helps.And my girls are 5 and 7.Purchase money range if possible $250k + 0r -.Experience in a nutshell
    Started young parents owned boats since I was 5 and went on from there, combined boats between my parents and my own family(Wife and I )24 cabin cruisers to 40' Express cruisers to 28 to 45' sportfishes and even some go-fasts Sonic,Baja's.I have personal lived & boated in Southern Cal and Florida,Spent time also in South Jersey.Also took a Hatteras from Northren Chessy to Plantation Key FL. So with all this should Help on some questions you all might have to narrow things down.
    Thanks Bill