Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking

Pilothouse Design For Vintage 1960 FEADSHIP

Discussion in 'Feadship Yacht' started by david_japp, Apr 11, 2010.

?

which PH design do you prefer for my 1960 Feadship

1. image 2 - with pronounced knuckle at aft edge of PH side

26.7%
  2. image 2c - with less pronounced knuckle at aft edge of PH side

53.3%
  3. image 2d - with no knuckle at aft edge of PH side

20.0%
  4. any other suggestions?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

many of you have been very helpful in making suggestions and comments about the design of the new PH for for my 1960 62ft Feadship that we're rebuilding in the UK. The majority of you who were interested enough to vote in the poll preferred the white PH with a single window and an eyebrow, which I agree looks best, but which of the 3 designs below do you prefer - there are only minor differences between them at the aft edge of the PH, but the devil is in the detail...

Attached Files:

2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi David, I think the white looks more like a - before refit, than after. Many old boats have got the mahogany white painted for less maintenance and I just see, in my mind, rotten wood when I look at them... sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear...:eek:
  3. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

Hi
    I thought about wood and did several versions with it but it just looked heavy, fuddy-duddy and fusty - instead of sleek / sexy 1960s...This white finished PH will be built of balsa core and will blend in beautifully with the white high gloss coaming and will look wonderful
    best
    david
  4. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

I'm leaning toward the first image, though I'd personally do more to echo the graceful mid-century modern sweep of the existing white coaming rather than the more traditional curve of the salon windows. The original design looks like this Feadship yard was trying to be daring, while not completely able (or allowed) to break free of their heritage. My thinking is that honoring the daring rather than the traditional would be more in the spirit of the original designers' intent.
  5. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

I agree with you about being daring - trouble is I'm stuck with the existing lower (saloon ) windows, so the new PH has to be in keeping with what's there now, otherwise the PH will stick out from the rest of the boat like the proverbial sore thumb. We've tried to come up with a window shape that looks original - the original open-helm side window was almost identical in shape to what we've decided on for the new window, except that the aft corner was sharper. We could reproduce the original helm widow exactly, but we rounded off the aft end, not only to link it it to the saloon windows, but also so that we can seal off the back of of PH in inclement weather by fitting a removable panel between the window and the cutaway of the roof, ie without the panel cutting across the window and being visible from the side . Incidentally, this panel will have windows and will rise up on gas struts from within the interior PH lockers.
  6. Henning

Henning Senior Member

I like the full knuckle in the first, but it appears the eyebrow is shorter than the other two and I prefer the longer eyebrow.
  7. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

I dont know what happened there - the eyebrow is supposed to be the same in all 3 images - in any event its going to be longer and thicker -ie more pronounced - so as to give her a deteremined puposeful look
  8. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

I like the second version, though before making that final I would like to see a profile.
  9. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

thanks - Im torn between 1st and 2nd ....I'll post profile in a few days
  10. none of those 3 proposals are good enough. I would like to see 3 side profiles to have a better opinion then. So i voted option 4th. But if i have to choose from all those 3 options only, i would go in tendency of number 3. The others line design is not harmonic enough comparing window contour and front windshield, but too straight also. Imo i would reduce the radius of side-roof curve to bring-up the curve paralel to end side window contour... As said would need a side profile to judge better then.
  11. ^you are right, actually i didn't have known it had other threads about. I saw only those 3 proposals and felt myself confident enough to gave an opinion. If this was not welcome i beg my appologizes. Sorry and thanks me showing the whole history. You are free to remove my comment if you find necessary. No problem.

Well, i didn't read anything, only saw the pictures in all threads and among the profiles i found this was the best approach, but with the wood color just turned a little bit down then. Post #27 of this thread. http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/feadship-yacht/13244-what-hull-colour-vintage-1960-feadship-2.html But even here the upper radius could be smaller to put a little bit the curve upper... This is what i think the best.
  12. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

hi - I'm the owner of Alto Volante - I didn't in fact post the reply listing all the earlier threads but in any event all comments and suggestions are welcome
  13. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

Feadship Pilothouse Design

here are a couple of renders showing the proposed PH in profile . the PH in the 2nd render is slightly shorter than in the 1st one .

Attached Files:

14. imo both need a lot of improvement already in curves-profile. Unfortunatly i don't have a way how to show you. Ok surely London is not too far.. :D
  15. 84far

84far Senior Member

Trouble... then the canoe stern, high topsides, aggressive step sheer, powerful bow, saloon windows, must all be trouble as well?
    From a design point of view, I think the designers were daring and got it wrong with the pilot house, it looks like it belongs on a 45' Hinckley picnic boat, and same with the new design IMO.

The thing is 85% of the boat all point towards a slow motor cruiser (heavy), not a fast picnic boat. I think that's why Lars suggested the timber pilot house, going with traditional old looks.

Have you thought about going for more of a longer cabin and bringing up those saloon windows (consistency), and making it more practical enclosed pilot house, and also having a curved timber mast on top of the saloon roof?

I would love to draw something up if need be :D ? Cheers

Far
  16. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

believe me, I tried different designs including the following, but nothing really worked. We thought the the current proposed design was a fair compromise between the origanal open helm and the kind of traditional PH that you describe, whilst at the same time having a sexy snazzy 1960s , Dolce Vita/ james Bond / look .. but I'd really apreciate it if you would have a go. best
    david

Attached Files:

17. if the boat is 100% yours, i personally think you should do as you best would like to be, independent how traditional lines were. It is not a restoration work, but seems a remake, an opportunity to match exactly your desire. But in any decision you take, the design must be perfect, harmonic, with high-quality and coerency of curves to be simple well done beautiful. But i think i am alone in this opinion probably. It is yours, then you are complete free to decide. I personally like all versions without preference. :)
  18. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

thanks - yes she is !00% mine (and the bank's!!) . She is a rebuild rather than a pure restoration, so I can indeed do whatever I like, However, I believe in respecting her heritage and I'm so torn about what to do with the PH (which will make or break her in terms of looks) that I'm keen to have other boat lovers' opinions..
  19. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

and here are drawings of what I think are the best alternatives ...(with PH is white)

a) single large "swept" window that mirrors the original open helm window
    b) same shaped as above but split into 2 windows with central mullion
    c) 2 windows that match the lower saloon windows

Attached Files: