Click for Furuno Click for Perko Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn

repower 1958 continental 26'

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by chamberlain16, Apr 14, 2010.

1. chamberlain16

chamberlain16 New Member

I have a 1958 26' all mahogany continental. It was left to me buy my grandfather when he died. It came with a Chrysler straight 6 originally it currently has a gm 350 marine engine. I have have gone skiing behind it unsuccessfully and part of the problem people have told me is the boat doesn't get up on a plain very quick. so this leads me to the question if i modify my 350 to get more power will the boat take it? I wanted to put a 427 in it but that is a bit more work so not right now. will it take a 427?

also can you ballpark the value for me? it came from the algonac plant near detroit mi i think.
    check my restoration pics at http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o242/chamberlain16/chris%20craft/

when i got it
    [​IMG]

right now
    [​IMG]
  2. Pequod

Pequod New Member

Should be enough power

I have a 1948 22ft Sportsman with a GM 350. I can rip the arms off of a skier pulling them out of the hole. I would think I could pull up many skiers at one time. The 350 should be more than enough.

The 26 is a heavier boat though. Do you have 1:1 direct drive transmission (I do)? Is the prop the correct one?

Beautiful boat! And a rare one too

Kevin
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

DK that I'd even use that classic for skiing. I'd save it for special dates and parades. Before I'd consider putting in a bigger motor, I too would check the prop and transmission. Adding trim tabs could also help, as could simply shifting weight forward.
  4. bee

bee Member

I had a Continental in 1961 and it was very heavy and so underpowered that I sold it and replaced it with a Riva Super Floride which was great.
    Surely in this day and age some light new engine could get it going.
  5. chamberlain16

chamberlain16 New Member

thanks for all the comments

anyone have any idea on the value? i am curious more then anything. just ballpark it for me.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

7. chamberlain16

chamberlain16 New Member

i think so but different

although mine only has one engine i could put 2 in it. anyone know how to decode a chris craft vin to figure out the options it came with. i wonder if the company chris craft would have any information to help me?
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The company has changed hands and countries a few times. You'd probably have better luck going to CC and antique clubs, forums and blogs.