Click for Llebroc
Click for Westport
Click for Walker
Click for Nordhavn
Click for Oceanco
Click for MCC
Go Back   YachtForums.Com > YACHT & BOAT FORUMS > SportFish Yachts > Donzi/Roscioli Yacht > Buying 54' Donzi

Login to YachtForums
Username
Password

Buying 54' Donzi

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 04:56 AM   #31 (permalink)

You should have 3" shafts in that model. Mine came with 3" and don't see any reason why Roscioli would have changed.

Take a hard look at the rudders on that boat mine had to be replaced with stronger models made by Western Branch Metals. The original ones where made very thin, knife like and had issues with vertical cracks near the rudder stock. But that said they where not designed to run at the speed my boat is now capable of doing. And I never noticed the cracks till a year or two after the re-power. I know Roscioli redesigned them but I don't know if that was done on the 54's or not.
Donzi 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #32 (permalink)

I seatrialed the boat Friday and everything went well so I'm moving ahead with the purchase. The boat ran and handled well. Cruised at 24-25 knots at 78% load and easily came up to full RPM and ran about 31 knots WOT. These numbers were with close to full Fuel and water.
The shafts in this boat are definitely 2.5". No idea why they wold be different than some of the other 54's out there but it is.
The boat definitely needs some TLC and I'll start getting systems serviced and back on line immediately. i received an acceptable credit from the seller to deal with deferred maintenance so overall I'm very satisfied with the deal
I was particularly impressed with how the boat turned both at higher speeds and at idle. Cruising thru the harbor in low idle with only one engine in gear and the steering still responds quite well. It only takes about 7-8 degrees of rudder to steer straight with one side in gear.
Thanks for everyone's input. It really helped. I'm sure I'll be back on here soon to ask a lot of questions. The seller I have dealt with knows little about the boat so I'm left to figure out most of the systems myself. At least I was ale to get all the original manuals and info so that will help tremendously.
DOCKMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCKMASTER View Post
The shafts in this boat are definitely 2.5". No idea why they wold be different than some of the other 54's out there but it is.
That seems very un-donzi like.
SHAZAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #34 (permalink)

Congrats are in order then, best of luck with it.

Cheers.
AlfredZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAZAM! View Post
That seems very un-donzi like.
I hear you but can't see it as a reason to not buy the boat. Does any disagree? It's not like at 2.5" the shafts are considered undersized by any means.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
I hear you but can't see it as a reason to not buy the boat. Does any disagree? It's not like at 2.5" the shafts are considered undersized by any means.
No, if the shafts are properly sized for the horsepower, then I don't see any reason that would be a deterrant.
Capt J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #37 (permalink)

Looking back though an original brochure it says that the 2.5" shaft was standard with the 12v92 engines.

Good luck with your purchase
Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
I own a 65' Donzi and just finished up rebuilding the entire machinery space. Based on my experience with my Donzi as well as others that I'm familiar with, I thought 2.5" seemed a bit undersized. Regardless, congrats on the purchase.
SHAZAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAZAM! View Post
I own a 65' Donzi and just finished up rebuilding the entire machinery space. Based on my experience with my Donzi as well as others that I'm familiar with, I thought 2.5" seemed a bit undersized. Regardless, congrats on the purchase.
It all depends. The smaller the shaft, the less drag and theoretically more speed. I worked on a 75' Jim Smith with 2000hp 16v2000's that had 2 1/2" shafts, but they were a special shaft that was splined like an outboard and didn't have a keyway, making it stronger for it's diameter.
Capt J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi 54 View Post
Looking back though an original brochure it says that the 2.5" shaft was standard with the 12v92 engines.

Good luck with your purchase
Where can I find the brochure you mention? Is it online? That would be interesting reading.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #41 (permalink)

Don't think you will find much on-line about the 54. If you like PM me you email and I will send you a scan of it. I also have a boat review article from Boating Magazine from 1995 about the 54 which is interesting.