Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn

"Odessa" Review!

Discussion in 'Christensen Yacht' started by Yacht News, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

YET ANOTHER STUNNING REVIEW...sorry for the caps, I was excited. "Odessa" has got to be Christensen's finest build to date technical components wise-(even down to her hull paint), to the spectacular interior! It is nothing short of interesting and amazing! I see some aspects that jump out at me with this boat.

Usually the Master bath takes on the persona of the Master room interms of tonal values, styling and materials used. On Odessa, her Master bath is in total contrast to the room it serves, I like it though. The styling of the interior is wonderful in my opinion, seems void of oval features with emphasis on a masculine atmosphere.

The one thing that stood out for me on the Sun Deck was that enormous jacuzzi wrapped in teak. Of course many yachts have their jacuzzis wrapped in teak clad steps, whether rounded or squared. The way how it was done on Odessa is perfect! The arrangement of the sun shades external deck, appeals to the eye. Below, this is one crew mess that doesn't look a mess, clearly the owner took the time out to make this crew space as comfortable as possible for crew. Quality materials used and the tonal values match perfectly the the persona of the rest of the interior! Usually the crew mess looks like some distant land with little connection to the yacht.

As usual, Chuck with his fanciful wording keeping things interesting to read. and the quality pictures and sizing lures you in as usual. Kudos to Chuck and Carl once more for another stunning review!

P.S: I love the Details section of the last recent group of reviews, thanks!
  2. brunick

brunick Senior Member

yep, really nice review, this really put my evening through :)
    but i got one question: i guess
    is a typing mistake, isn't it? just wondering, why this 50m vessel was much heavier than RMS Queen Mary 2 ;)
  3. Yacht News

Jannick, it would have to be a typo. I did not see that the first time around reading the review, guess Carl didn't see either. To make it worse, not even more than "Oasis of the Seas" at 225,000. No way "Odessa" could be that weight...;) Obese Odessa I hear!
  4. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Simply an amazing boat. Stunning in every way.
    Kudos YF! As always.... well done. Bravo!
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Thanks guys! It's nice to know our efforts are appreciated. :)

Brunick - thank you for catching my mistake. Kevin usually proofs our reviews, but I was short on time.

I hope everyone enjoys Odessa!
  6. brunick

brunick Senior Member

Carl, always a pleasure :)
    but, that captain really has to be a dark-metal fan ;)
  7. Canuck

Canuck New Member

Odessa was in Coal Harbour (Vancouver) for the better part of the summer. I've seen a lot of yachts come and go from Coal Harbour and I must say Odessa is as nice as they come. The paint is stunning. I was talking with one of the Coal Harbour Marina dock boys and he was told they were sea trialing the yacht in this area for the summer and then it was off to the Fort Lauderdale show. Then it was going spend the winter in the Caribbean.
    We saw her anchored in Indian Arm off of Granite Falls. I kicked myself for not having my camera with me because the shot would have been spectacular with the falls in the background.
  8. bigboatbill

bigboatbill Senior Member

Odessa is indeed a beautiful boat. She is my favorite Christensen by far. The review was well written and photographed informatively and beautifully. I agree with the above comment on the master head. The beauty and simplicity of that room is hauntingly beautiful. Thanks to YF for the tour!
  9. Yacht News

By far or you mean so far? They are about 3 more similar sized boats to "Odessa" in build by Christensen in various phases of construction. You probably have no idea, what the interior conceptualization will be on these future boats.
  10. bigboatbill

I mean "by far" and "so far". Given that the other three builds are not complete and thus unavailable for critique it is fair to say "by far". By far indicates comparison to what I have currently seen and is implied as a statement of personal preference. As long as Christensen, or any other builder is producing a product, "so far" is implied and thus also correct. This is semantic.

As I am not an industry insider, I of course have no prior knowledge to the potential beauty of future designs. I depend upon the media to bring me this information. As an architect myself, I felt compelled to comment on a design I felt to be significant, Given my impression of the design integrity emboddied in Odessa, I believe that these current builds have their work cut out for them.

My post was intended as a compliment to the Odessa and a thanks to YF for providing a view into a world most designers and boat lovers would never be privy to.
  11. Yacht News

Totally agreed...
  12. julyrun

julyrun New Member

ugly head

I love every inch of Odessa including the Captain's head and since one of the people who had a hands on design voice is the current Captain I would imagine he probably likes it too :)

She is a fine boat and Bravo Zulu to everyone involved in the design to build to launch. The owners must have exquisite taste and are no doubt exceptionally pleased with their choice.

It was mentioned she was to spend her winter in the Carribean...does anyone know if she actually went? The pictures of Odessa at Antigua are not this Odessa but the 2007 Odessa from Istanbul...

I would love to see more of her if anyone has some recent pictures!!!

:)
  13. bigboatbill

hey Julyrun, I agree that the entire boat is very well designed and that we need some new pictures of Odessa in her natural habitat!
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It could get very confusing for the operators of this Odessa and the Turkish built Odessa, they are 1m different in length with the same name.
  15. captholli

captholli Senior Member

While the Black stone in the Captains head may not be to everyones tastes it still reflects the overall concept that Armani's designer Kristein wanted to put forward as the Euro minimalist theme. Armani's people picked all the stone and Christensens in-house water jet shop cut, shaped and did a wonderful job with the install Yachts above a certain size usually have an owners build team in place during the construction process to work in conjunction with the builders project mgr. and Odessa isnt an exception to this rule as she had a Captain and experienced build Engineer in place from the first mat and resin that went into the mold all the way through builders trials. The jet Black topsides paint wasnt an easy task due to the recent Awl-Grip formulation problems and to perfect the wet look the hull had to have three coats of high solids clear applied.The Chrome / Stainless package in the engine room went a bit over the top but thats what the owner wanted in his engine room (Bling) but in another recent post from Kiwi1 that mentioned polished stainless deck plates as the way to go for this "bright" look the engine room decking in Odessa is indeed polished Stainless.
  16. bigboatbill

Very interesting Captain Holli. Thanks for the insight.
  17. oceaneer

oceaneer Member

The deck plates are not stainless but chrome...
    I know as i polish them everyday!

Oceaneer
  18. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

Seems like a poor choice for deck plates.

I do not believe I have seen or heard of that before.
  19. julyrun

julyrun New Member

Heard a rumour that Odessa has new owners as of spring of this year. She is still a fine beauty...still looking for more recent pics of her...
    :eek:
  20. oceaneer

oceaneer Member

Rumor is wrong