Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Burger

Chris Craft Roamer Insurance troubles

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by tedcollison, Mar 16, 2006.

1. tedcollison

tedcollison New Member

Relatively new to the forum, but so far has been extremely helpful. We are in the process of purchasing a 1974 60 Chris Craft Roamer that we could not be more excited about. However, even with 30+ years of boating experience, we are meeting resistance from several insurance companies....most stating boat is too old or that they do not cover Chris Crafts at all. Does anyone have any suggestions for A-rated companies that insure 30+ year-old Chris Crafts for safe boaters? As always, appreciate the help.
  2. D.Allen

D.Allen New Member

We have a 1969 58' Roamer and are insured with Boat US. Rates are reasonable and service very good. Home office is in VA. 10% discount for membership in USCG Aux.
    David
  3. watjam

watjam New Member

Insurance assurance

Haggerty Marine Insurance has been our source for insurance since 1988.
    they covered our WOODEN Chris Craft Constellation and did so relatively cheaply-like 250 per year!
    They, like most carriers, will insist on a survey and pictures.
  4. SUPERSOAPER

SUPERSOAPER New Member

Loyds Of London Will Cover You, They Cover Our 70' Roamer
    The Insurance Is Through Great Lakes Insurance

You'll Love Your Roamer!
  5. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

More than one way to skin a cat

As of a few months ago at a Trawlerfest in Stuart, I was made aware of some mind boggling changes to the boat insurance landscape, especially here in Florida.

The party line was that older than 20 years, fiberglass boats would not be insurable. 15 year old metal boats, ditto. Deductibles were going to 10% so that the owner could not just walk away come hurricane time.
    Yes, Lloyds would handle all these... for the time being until their actuarials made changes.
    True?
    Maybe.
    The folks who insure our company's new imports and new US builds had a softer take because he knows us and what we sell.
    It's kind of like an old 58 Hatteras LRC, he said, compared to an almost new poorly built boat---have to take each boat on it's own merits.
    Most insurance companies might not take such an enlightened view, so it definitely will pay to do your due diligence and not just rely on an underwriter of last resort.
  6. swcustom

swcustom New Member

I agree with Loren. "{due diligence" my State Farm Agent gave my policy to a 69 woody unseen but surveyed.
  7. jorrow

jorrow New Member

I had similar problems insuring my 61 Chris but state farm came through after we leaned on them a bit. Allstate also agreed to write a liability policy under our HOMEOWNERS policy......Noone needed a survey ....J.M.
  8. SUPERSOAPER

SUPERSOAPER New Member

Insurance

Great News!

What Coast Are You On?

I Can't Get Anything Out Of Allstate In Florida!

Any Help On Insurance Is Worth Talking About