Click for Comfort Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay

Engine location Double Cabin vs Double Stateroom

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by lesp, Aug 31, 2010.

1. lesp

lesp New Member

Hi,

This is my first post to the forum. Someone offered me a 1940 CC 42 ft double cabin (31 hulls built) that needs lots of work. That got me looking at wooden boats. I work on my friends wooden boats but don't own one - yet. Wooden boats are IMO the only powerboats that have character. I see a wooden powerboat as follow-on to my fiberglass sailboat when I’m older (not too far off). I would put the project boat in my barn and take my time working on it till it is needed and the sailboat is sold.

The problem is, I like the look of front half of this boat, but not the back half. This is more than esthetics because it dictates how one enters the boat. I would prefer a Double Stateroom Cruiser of the same size (only 7 built), but that would probably be hard to find in the condition I want or at a price I am willing to pay.

My question is: Did Chris Craft move the engine locations within hulls of the same size? Compared to a 1940 42 ft Double Cabin, would a 1940 42 ft Double Stateroom Cruiser have engines mounted further aft with perhaps vee-drives instead of straight shafts? Have any of you seen hulls of the same size in these two different styles? Thanks.