Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for JetForums

paragon P32 trans no reverse

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by midntstr, Dec 5, 2008.

1. midntstr

midntstr New Member

Hi, First post and I need help. Last Sunday as I returned to the slip from the Guest dock I shifted into rev. at about 800 rpm with no results. Forward and netural, OK. I checked the oil, OK. Removed the linkage to make sure gear was fully shifted by hand, still no rev. Trans sounds the same a usual, just does not work in rev. any ideas? Thanks for any help, Dick
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

"Removed the linkage to make sure gear was fully shifted by hand, still no rev."
    Welcome to YF. This may sound stupid, but are you sure there was no reverse when you shifted by hand? Because it sounds like the cable isn't secured where it comes off the linkage. That would allow the whole cable casing to move instead of just the wire. I'm not a mechanic, but it's something I've run into 3 or 4 times. You'll generally be able to get forward & neutral, but not reverse. BTW, this is a 50 cent fix, so if there's any doubt it's worth a recheck.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It sounds like he removed the cable and put it in reverse by hand at the transmission.

What kind of transmission is it (brand and model)? What gear pressure readings are you getting in neutral and in gear? What temperature does the gear oil run at when you are running the boat at cruise for a while in gear? How long has it been since the gear oil and filter have been changed and/or cleaned? It could be a multitude of things. If you have proper pressure it could be a stuck relief valve in the valve body, it could be too little line pressure, and a number of things.
  4. midntstr

midntstr New Member

thanks

Thanks for the input. I shifted the trans by hand at trans top shift arm with the cables removed. It was all the way in gear. I'm waiting for replys I sent to several on line sources for service manuals so I know how to test it correctly. Thanks for the prompt returns guys. Any of you Chris Craft guys in the Ca. delta? I berth at Oxbow in Isleton.