Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Westport

74' Roamer, Only one built still alive, barely, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by acbs38, Feb 7, 2013.

1. acbs38

acbs38 New Member

This boat located in RI had been discusssed previously here a year or so ago by another member. He talked of buying it, but stopped posting, I'm assuming he decided against it. It is currently available again, but needs help big time! Inside is pretty much gutted. I am of the understanding this is the only one built by Chris Craft. I have tried to do some research on original layout, what was on deck, etc but have not found much. I'm very lightly considering this project but am taking my time considering everything that would be involved. I have a guy that specializes in metal hulls that has already priced me an ultrasound survice for the boat. Any and all feedback would be great. If you know of the boat, she was last called the Bon Moyage, let me know what you know. thanks
  2. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Bon Moyage

Is this the boat? (see First photo)
    Records show that (3) Flushdeck 74s were produced*: Hulls no. series RAP-74-501, 502, and 505; with hull #505 going out to the then-President of the Ivory Coast, Felix-Houphet Bouigny. The two other hulls may have become Yacht Fisherman "73s" (Hull no. series RFP-73-50*) with superstructures more reminiscent of the 74' Motoryachts ("houseboats").
    She was designed as a 73 footer by Don O'Keefe (apparently with major help from Ray Hunt - see how much vee in the bottom, yikes!) working at Derecktor's Shipyard in New York. With a flared bow added by CC she measured out to 74 feet and looked very-Burger-ish in profile, no?
    Saw her for sale on YW a while back - advertisement spoke of refurbishments needed inside but photos looked fine - dont know where she ended up.
    Photos #2 and #3 ("Sea Love") illustrate the other (non-flushdeck) 74 foot MY CC produced in 1977 (2 hulls only: RMP-74-506 and RMP-74-507). F. Lee Bailey apparently owned and customized (added a back deck for fishing) the other hull "Spellbound" (photos #4 & 5).
    As far as buying "a yacht that needs alot" - know that the hull and running gear alone are worth quite a bit -- whether refitting and repowering are worth it however, will really depend on your initial investment. To be sure, it's a beautiful looking yacht, but dont let that influence your negotiating strategy: get estimates for all (all) of this prior to buying. In fact, make sure to get a SAMS certified surveyor to look over the entire boat - that will give you the best estimate of what needs to be done.
    Good luck!
    Cheers,
    Eric

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

She last sold in Fall 2010 for $40K according to soldboats.com She must be in salvage condition. Unless you think this boat has some historical value or perhaps sentimental value to you personally, then why would you undertake this project?

The 78' Chris Roamer "Right of Passage" http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/images/Wallpaper/ChrisRoamerBow1024.jpg sold for $200K not long ago. She was stunning. IMO That old 74 footer probably won't even get it's boots on for $200K.
  4. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Attached Files:

5. acbs38

acbs38 New Member

That is the boat in Picture 1. Purchase price is half of what she sold for in 2010. I'm not looking to flip boat, but restore, and use as a liveaboard. Majority of work will be done by myself. I have a guy for engines and aluminum. Will physically be on boat tomorrow.
  6. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

What's it cost to tie up a 74 footer in your neck of the woods?
  7. acbs38

acbs38 New Member

Where it currently is $400/month winter, $850/summer. I'm originally from the St Lawrence river area/Lake Ontario, what's going price in MD and FL
  8. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Check for any liens for its removal.

Google the following:

Derelict Boats to be Removed from RI River
    By Tom Richardson on November 21st, 2011

Derelict Boat Removal Could Cost Town Plenty
    By Staff on January 13th, 2012
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember a boat like pic 1 near 20 years ago in Marathon. It had a cockpit added and was named Sea Wagon. A friend of mine almost purchased her. Then found the sister ship to Spellbound.
    F Lee Bailey owned Spellbound (his company PalmBeachRoamer) rebuilt that ship to perfect standards. Then he (and ship) had problems and started to deteriorate quickly (both of them).
    I remember Bailey visiting us while we worked on Dreamchasser in Manalipan (Boyton inlet).
    Cockpits were added to both of those houseboats. Ours (added on the left coast) was larger.

I also remember about 10 years ago an old 57 roamer up north for sale. Used to belong to Evil Ken-evil. Lost track of her also.
  10. doompatrol

doompatrol Guest

Are there any pix online? The abandoned/sunken boat pix up in RI appear to be of a different vessel...maybe.
  11. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The pics are the same boat. They reference her name Bon Moyage.

Attached Files:

12. acbs38

acbs38 New Member

that would be the boat. She has not had much of a life for the past decade. Snow storm here is keeping me from making trip to board her and look around.
  13. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Rigor Mortis

Even in her death throes she's beautiful.
    Pretty unbelievable what happened, but true. :(
    (Photos 1-3: On the outs with the citizens of R.I.)
    Still, she never sank.
    (Photo 4 - earlier/on the hard)
    Cheers!
    -Eric
    (Neverseensuchalargeyachtwithsomuchveeinthebottomthankyourayhunt)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  14. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Not so fast,...

..., he's a nutt, butt, 1 of us Roamers, no?
    Plus, he did ok recently:
    F. Lee Bailey: Big Wins, Losses in Tax Case | -
    OJ, smo-jay.
    Cheers!
    -E

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Him and his wife (some times he had guest with him), were very nice folks. Would keep at the end of our dock in his motor cat (Glacier Bay?) and talk for hours.
    Rolling out of Bimini, he was in-bound on Spellbound. Sister ships with same white w/black mask, was like an inverted mirror.
    Strikers & Roamers, I miss working on old Alloy boats.

Anybody find that old Evil Ken-Evil Roamer yet? I remember the pictures of the interior; From an Eighth & Main cat house.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
  16. acbs38

acbs38 New Member

Once we get dug out from this snow, I'll try to get up to her and take a look. She's in the water currently. I'm still interested as crazy as that sounds
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Look forward to your notes, pics and thoughts.
    Thx, rc
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ya know, I have to rub it in;
    Beautiful day here in South Georgia. But another hurricane is coming so don't come down.
  19. acbs38

acbs38 New Member

stay safe, pixs and findings will get posted after I go visit the old girl :)
  20. acbs38

acbs38 New Member

Going to see the old girl tomorrow, pixs and report to follow :)