Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service

al 37' transom

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by bolsado, Jun 29, 2012.

1. bolsado

bolsado Member

Making Progress

Havent posted in awhile so it seems time for updates

I didnt like marinas idea of a new bottom paint coat so I have taken it down to bare metal and built /faired back up using intelux prodicts.

Attached Files:

2. bolsado

bolsado Member

update cont

after transporting to ca some cracking evident in old filler/fairing jobs, yard used dynaglass but did it over the abalative paint and very little metel prep so of course it did not hold
    Actually not too much of this and it was in areas one would expect ie around the various through holes and the base of the transom at the trim tabs

I elected to soda blast, which with a small harbor frieght sand blaster did a fair job of taking paint off but the origional filler is good stuff. Way too much except in the areas wear water had got under the filler. I found that the glass media worked best as less dust and more abrasive. I found also you can reuse it by picking up with shop vac and using basic window screen to get big chunks out and break up any moisture related clumping

I was limited to the equipemt the yard had which was fine for the harbor frieght equip and of course the enviro restrictions here in CA.

To do again I would rent a big portable compressor and get done in 2-3 days.
  3. bolsado

bolsado Member

update cont

after transporting to ca some cracking evident in old filler/fairing jobs, yard used dynaglass but did it over the abalative paint and very little metel prep so of course it did not hold

I elected to soda blast, which with a small harbor frieght sand blaster did a fair job of taking paint off but the origional filler is good stuff. Way too much except in the areas wear water had got under the filler. I found that the glass media worked best as less dust and more abrasive. I found also you can reuse it by picking up with shop vac and using basic window screen to get big chunks out and break up any moisture related clumping

I was limited to the equipemt the yard had which was fine for the harbor frieght equip and of course the enviro restrictions here in CA.

To do again I would rent a big portable compressor and get done in 2-3 days.

Actually not too much of this corrosion and it was in areas one would expect ie around the various through holes and the base of the transom at the trim tabs. Also I dont think it was worthwile to take it all off should have just focused on the corrosion areas.

Attached Files:

4. bolsado

bolsado Member

transom udate cont

Once down to bare metal, a final cleaning and sanding with 80 grit to get oxidation off then used the interlux 2000e primer system.

The interlux website has all the info you need to plan and accomplish the work. I used 6in foam roller a found that worked best, little foam rollers or brushes worked well in the tighter spots. Foam brushes failed as this is thick stuff.

first coat on then second within the drying time based on air temp.

after second coat it can last six months w/o needing a sanding coat before the secondary primers and paint.

I used the chrome trim as the limit of my "below the waterline" marker horizon.

5 coats of the 2000e below water line I have completed. I am fairing around this strip as well as it has corrosion due the screws holding the chrome trim as well as the trim below the toe rail.

Attached Files:

5. bolsado

bolsado Member

cont

I left the prigional filler at the lower center of the transom so i could screw the tranducer back on a plastic pad i will expoy on later.

I then used dynaglass filr to get it close to origional profile and interlux 'watertite" fairing coumpand to as final barrir coat and fairing filler

Attached Files:

6. bolsado

bolsado Member

cont

sorry about the dislexic typing so used to spell check at work cleaning this up

last photo is 'watertite' on around the chrome rub stip area.

Attached Files:

7. bolsado

bolsado Member

skipped a photo

this is the dynaglass before the watertite

Attached Files: