Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Cross Click for Ocean Alexander

Engine room portholes?

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by boatfxr, Jun 17, 2012.

1. boatfxr

boatfxr New Member

Engineroom portholes. Is there any specifically designed function of the small port holes ( two on each side ) of the engineroom on the '59 through '64 Roamer 56' and I think the '65 and on 57'. Only logical thing I can think of is a crash window for fire fighting and possibly emergency dewatering. Any want to take a crack at this?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I am not exactly familiar with the boat you mentioned. If they're opening portholes, they were sometimes used for shorepower cables that plugged in, in the engine room or could be used in a bilge emergency to run hoses out of, or just for dockside ventilation purposes like letting the ER cool off after a days run.

Non opening portholes were used for reasons like letting natural light into the engine room, being able to see the engine room from the dock (make sure everything is copacetic), or sometimes they were just plain used for looks so that the other portholes were linearly spaced.......
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The title of this thread has been edited to make it more relevant in a search. In the future, please use descriptive titles.
  4. ELS_Huntsville

ELS_Huntsville New Member

Engine Hold Portholes are Very Functional

We have two on each side of the engine hold; as described they do several functions: natural lighting and ventilation are the most important. It can get hot down there.
  5. ddw1668

ddw1668 Senior Member

In 1969 we were visiting a marina in St. Charles, MO and they had 6-7 men working feverishly on a 57' Connie. She had developed a leak and sank at the dock due to the engine room portholes being open. The boat belonged to the Busch family and they made an annual pilgrimage to Chicago on the boat to attend the Bears/Cardinals game, hence the worker's haste as it was getting late in the summer.:cool:

The picture is a sister ship........

Attached Files:

6. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

What the?

How could it sink at the dock just because the portholes were open??
  7. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

ddw1668,

is the engine room that far fowrard in that Connie?

the port holes do seem a little too low for my comfort
  8. boatfxr

boatfxr New Member

Engine room location

I cannot say regarding the Connie, however on this Roamer and others I see the engine room is definitely that far forward. The aft bulkhead of the engine room is the same as the entry way door bulkhead. Which by the way is just forward of the helm.