Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno Click for JetForums

Aluminum roamers in south florida

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by captainkevin, Sep 24, 2011.

1. captainkevin

captainkevin New Member

Is there a reason theses boats are hard to find in south florida ? Are they not good ocean boats ?
  2. fantasymaker

fantasymaker New Member

Salt!!
  3. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Location, location,...

Most of the approx. 2000 Roamers ever built were made in Holland, Michigan.
    Only later, did CC move to Pompano and start building the larger 58', 60', 68 foot and up "mega" Roamers. Relatively speaking there were few of these compared with the 'middle' and smaller Roamers made.
    See more detailed info here:
    MODELS_Index2
    Cheers!
    -Eric
    PS - Of that overall total about 25% were made in aluminum (alloy 5086) - which is used by all sorts of coast guard, commercial, fire, police, naval and pleasure craft and ships in the ocean - not least of which is Roger Penske's 153 footer "Detroit Eagle" shown below. :p

Attached Files:

4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It seems to me, that the east coast was more dominated by Hatteras yachts due to them being built in NC, and I think they were more preferred over here back in the day than the aluminum Chris Crafts. I'm guessing some of the aluminum ones didn't stand the test of time due to neglect of zincs and electrolysis. There's one here in a neighborhood, about a 60' aluminum chris craft, that hasn't left the dock in at least 6 years. Not for a bottom job or anything.
  5. serenity1967

serenity1967 New Member

Florida

I have a 1967 48' Roamer in Tampa.