Click for Mulder Click for Comfort Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger

SURVEY and TRANSPORTATION COSTS

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by Flan, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Flan

Flan New Member

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone give me a general idea what I could expect to pay for the cost of a thorough survey (hull, mechanical, engine, tanks etc) for a ROAMER RIVIERA?

Same question for transport of a boat from say MN/MI/WI part of the country to SD.

I'm seriously considering a ROAMER and wondering what the cost of a good survey and transportation will add to the the purchase price of boat.

Understand this is a wide-open question. Just looking for a swag or any general comments that might be out there. Thanks !!
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

In a world where the price of most everything is by the foot, what size Riviera are we talking about? How high is she? If its an express model, trucking will be way less complicated.

I guess we need more info.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Welcome to YF Flan. The prices for these (especially the transport) will vary a lot. I've heard of transport charges being more than double from one company to another. I'd suggest that you contact surveyors in those areas and transport companies directly with this question. With both, especially the transporter, put far more weight in reputation than price. I've read heard, seen and read about some real transport nightmares.
  4. Flan

Flan New Member

Thanks for the welcome...boat I'm interested in is the 37 ft Riviera Express. Don't have the specifications at my fingertips...
  5. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

In SE Asia we charge around US$ 18.- per foot length for a pre-purchase dry survey and sea-trial for a boat under 60'. Usually a pre-purchase survey will show (hidden) defects that may lead to price re-negotiations so it's money well spend. Apart from this you may need a valuation for your insurer as well which can be done at the same time.
    I guess prices in the US will be similar.
  6. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

I recently got an out of the water hull survey quote for a 37' fiberglass boat in So Cal for $13 per foot. Engine survey and hull out is additional. My guess for transportation is $5 to $10 per mile. uship.com is a website that list a lot of boats that need to be moved so you should be able to get a good idea of the cost of transportation.
  7. bolsado

bolsado Member

Transport

I recently complted hauling my 37 roamer from wi to calif.

the lowest qoute i recieved was $13K. I purchased my own equipment instead. Now I do occasional loads on uship when i feel like to recover my investment and have broke even spending at lot more.

Your trip is pretty short and proably not worth the effort and would hire a good outfit.

If the boat you purchase is on the SD side of Lake MI the best and most expensive options should be less than $5K and fair price would be in the $2-3K range states you mention you dont need pilot cars on the freeways for loads under 13 wide and 14 tall which. A 37 rivera is 12'-8" wide and about 10-11 ft tall. On my trailer it was loaded 12'-6". You may need pilot cars on the secondary roads and some cities depending on time of day.

I hauled mine all the way to CA without any pilot car except in CA

Most shippers try to scare you about permit costs as being real expensive and that is just BS. typical permit is $20-30 per state.

You can get qoutes on uship. Most there are not really set up to haul that large a boat but some are and some are good. The internet has boat brokers that also scour load boards for truckers to hual.

Make sure they have the proper insurance and I would suggest buying your own cargo policy in your name. It is only a few dollars and worth the extra piece of mind

There is an outfit north of Milwauakee which is very good but also very expensive. Most of the money is in the trailer ( $120K plus for a new hydrualic) for a shipper. Get a qoute from them and work from there. Great lakes Marine transport in grafton/port washington WI. They can be found on the web.

hope this helps
  8. bolsado

bolsado Member

survey

PS

My survey cost about $500 in 2009 in WI
  9. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

$15 a foot, and $2 per mile if it's a straight pull.
  10. bolsado

bolsado Member

37' Roamer Loaded on Flatbed

Just across the Wi/Iowa Border 2 summers ago

memory is fading but I think it was 13'3" to the slight sitck up of the flybridge control tube which can be seen as the black trash bag on top

Attached Files:

11. bolsado

bolsado Member

37 loaded

Another angle

Attached Files:

12. bolsado

bolsado Member

Moving a 37

Props and rudders were removed and the ends sat very deep in the outboard wells of the trailer.

AS mentioned memory is fading - ALZ in my future

trailer beams are 10" and I thought I had it on 12x12 beams but maybe they are 8x8. They are still on trailer so next time I am at boat Ill take pics of set up

Also working on my other trailer

Attached Files:

13. bolsado

bolsado Member

cad drawing to scale for the ibeam trailer

I recently drafted this in autocad from my pictures and the alloyed to the see layouts and and scan of the profile in my owners manual

Attached Files: