Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn

1962 44' Roamer Riviera saved

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by russlunt, Jun 10, 2010.

1. russlunt

russlunt New Member

Lake Winnipesaukee NH and Moosehead in Maine.
    My son and I just hauled this very savable Roamer home for a go over. The metal is good with a fair amount of it replaced in the stearn. It has new 454's but the original Generator is reportedly not running. She needs a lot of wood work topside and some below decks. All in all, pretty good shape.

Attached Files:

2. Nice. What are your ideas in refitting her? Have you already made a profile proposal, in order to see? or can we also use this 'pic profile' above to make our suggestions also?
  3. bigboatbill

bigboatbill Senior Member

Looks like a great project! Very nice looking boat.
  4. russlunt

russlunt New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not sure what a profile proposal is. Please elaborate.

Ideas, We really don't like the roof that goes over the deck aft, and is sitting on the cabin roof. When we rebuild the windshield I am thinking of replacing only about 8 feet of roof or maybe keep it a soft top. I am leaning toward a partial hard top to protect the helm electonics and to hold antennas and the spot light.

I am most worried about the surface rust in the bildge and the water leaking in somewhere around the afte deck. The plan with the rust is to clean, sand blast, prime and put a coat of paint on the whole bildge.

Not sure if I can save the bright work topside. May have to replace a lot of it.

What do I use for a primer on the bare hull? I am looking at a rust neutralizing primer. I am finding some think coat under the paint that I am not formiliar with. I don't think it is old paint. I need to feather in something to even out these spots. Do I use epoxy? I use the west system on my wood boats, can I use the same?

What should I replace the generator with?

Thank you for the input.
  5. wrenches74

wrenches74 New Member

hey!!

Very nice and very savable Roamer....I am actually in the midst of almost the same project....post this up on the Roamer club here in Yacht forums...there you will find all the roamer guys....Good luck and keep the Roamer faith alive!!!:D Tim
  6. russlunt

russlunt New Member

here she is in the water about ten years ago

Attached Files:

7. wrenches74

wrenches74 New Member

same here

i also got a pic of my boat circa 1962.....it's great to have refrences.....i love that aft cabin....i'm envious!!.....:D Tim
  8. russlunt

russlunt New Member

How do I get this into the Roamer site, or do I have to post a new thread?
  9. wrenches74

wrenches74 New Member

10. russlunt

russlunt New Member

I just copied this into the Roamer site.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

No you didn't.

You copied all the text into another thread here at Yacht Forums.

Double posting the same question or info into multiple threads will not get you an answer any faster if at all.
  12. russlunt

russlunt New Member

Wasn't trying to get more answers, just trying to get in the right forum. Is it posible now to delete the firs thread??

I am energized by what I have found in the Roamer forum. Thank you for the direction. We will have much more to share in the coming months. Right now I am finishing up a small sail boat and some overdue projects on my Owens Safari. We pulled up the whole engine compartment deck sections and I am quite impressed with the 454's. They look brand new, whew! Quite a contrast to the original gen set. Is anyone formiliar with the engine compartment fire supression system and the fume detection system?
  13. Dave Wann

Dave Wann New Member

1962 Roamer 44'

Hello,

We also have a 1962 44' Roamer, hull # 104. We have owned it for about 8 years now in St. Louis, on the Mississippi. Does anyone know how many of the original 14 are left?
  14. russlunt

russlunt New Member

Thanks for writing. I didn't know there were only 14 made. My hull numbe is RA844078. Not sure how that translates to your number 104.

There is a thread on in this forum from a guy that is inventorying all roamers. I think it is in this forum, I can go look for it. I have only looked through part ofthe list and have not found a 1962 44' yet.

I was wondering what yours has for power and generator, and have you every experience issues with your rudders. We have fairly new 454's and have rudder problems. They move but with much force. I wonder if we have an issue with dual metals binding up.

Would love to see some pictures!!

Thanks again.
  15. russlunt

russlunt New Member

Thank you NY CAP 123
  16. russlunt

russlunt New Member

shrink wrapped

Modeled a frame from a few I saw in Portland Maine and shrink wrapped it so that we can work on her top side.

Attached Files:

17. gravy

gravy Member

where did you find her
  18. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hi Russ,

That's a heckuva project, especially during winter without the benefit of a shed! More power to you man. I attended Woody Weekend in Lake Winni around 1995. I'm sure your Riviera, no matter the material, would be welcome too.

If you plan to post pictures of the project, please reduce them to 640 pixels in width before uploading to YF. I have re-sized your pictures above.
  19. russlunt

russlunt New Member

Thank you, I will shrink the pics down a little more next time.