Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights Click for Mag Bay Click for Perko Click for JetForums

Horn Rebuild / Source - Late 60's Roamer

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by Alanglois, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Alanglois

Alanglois Member

Hello all,

I am looking to get my horns serviced or replaced with original equipmet replacements NOS or Remans. Anybody do this?

Thanks

Al
  2. Hattsoff

Hattsoff Member

What brand of horn did a Roamer come with?

I know that Kahlenberg offers restoration services.
  3. Henning

Henning Senior Member

If they are some nice horns and you want the dings taken out and replated, you might check with a musical instrument store. Most do, or know where to go, for repairs.
  4. Alanglois

Alanglois Member

The externals of the horns are in mint condition with recent replating. I am looking to get the inners refurbished. One works fine but the other leaves much to be desired. Even after disassembling and cleaning and troubleshooting. There is no indication of a manufacturer anywhere on the horns. No serial numbers or model numbers either but I know these are original to the boat.

Thanks

A
  5. q240z

q240z New Member

You know what they say about a picture being worth a thousand words? Yup, it's kinda like that. lol

My Connie came with Buell horns. They're very easy to service yourself. Buell also refurbishes old horns, as I understand it.
  6. Alanglois

Alanglois Member

These are electric horns which I will attempt to get a picture up here shortly. I was really just throwing it out there in case someone had a quick solution.

Thanks

Al
  7. q240z

q240z New Member

Have you tried opening the back and cleaning the contacts? These are generally really simple mechanisms.
  8. Alanglois

Alanglois Member

You are right these are pretty simple devices. I dismantled it completely and cleaned every contact and lead and also the (metal) diaphrams. Still a rather lame sound is produced. That's why I am looking for a replacement preferably.
  9. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

I got water in mine it did not sound good but I dried them and sprayed with electrical cleaner 5-56 it works fine
  10. Alanglois

Alanglois Member

I'm going to pick up the CRC spray and give them both a blast. I have more than twice as much resistance in one horn, 4.5 Ohms (the bad one) as the other, 1.9 Ohms (the good one) alas that may be the issue. I have found a source for a horn repair and if it pans out I'll it post to this link.

Thanks all.