Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger

The whole story

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by Oneiros, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

Everyting start with the internet found a project on boattrader.Pic from milwaukee skipper bud

Attached Files:

2. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

hi
    three mouth later milwaukee ,Jacksonville,bremenhafen Germany, Kemi finland,lulea Sweden.a cool winterday to bee continue.......
  3. homer1958

homer1958 Member

I remember this one!!

I think you stole her.. I could not believe this one and its aluminum too as I recall. I think it was a 1967 37.' It did not last long.. so you are the one who bought her! What did you do come all the way from Sweeden and ship it back? How much did it cost to bring it to Sweeden? Hope you use my colors which are similar to this one.
  4. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

No, she is built of steel the trip from Milwaukee to Jacksonville cost about $ 6500 from Jacksonville to Germany went to $ 6900 and the last bit until luleå cost about $ 4000 I paid $ 15,000 for the boat.
    But it is worth every dollar our dream boat, my wife loves her.
    No, we bought her on the internet but unfortunately, so we hired Swedish living in Florida, a real rogue who cheated us of $ 5000. the images are from the winter rust, but oh Well, this is just the beginning when we had blast her so we could see more of as we Swedes say American carelessness double sheet bad veldings.min friend a good welder replacement 20m2 by the port side, I had to pay him $ 15 per hour quite ok
    Yes I will do that. be painted the same color as your carbine. And the hull next year in the same collour
    Erik
  5. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

the hole storry

A satisfied Roamer owner

Attached Files:

6. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

more pic

hi more pic lots of rust when sandblasted
    look at the last pic double plates no way!! I wouldn´t done so

Attached Files:

7. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

More.....

Attached Files:

8. homer1958

homer1958 Member

oh Boy

Well, the color is like mine.. Yes, good combination.. make sure you investigte "Alexseal".. same German chemist who developed Awlgrip but they say it is better.

You did get a good deal on this boat, but after expenses it gets higher in reality of course. Make sure you have the rudders remade and preferably in stainless. The rudder posts get thin over time. Mine is aluminum hull, but still the rudders were made of stainless. Your rudders probably bang around a bit as the posts/steel get thin in rudder tubes.

Remeber, if you need parts I know where to find them all so always feel free to ask.

I have a beautiful boat yes, but I do not have a beautiful Sweedish lady.. oh well, can't have it all.
  9. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

Hi
    Sure. I will do.rudders leak is a major problem on our. But I'm going to close them with a bushing of nylon. has already mounted ball bearings on the rudders.I´m do not want to replace the original steering it works so well, I think
  10. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

More ....

hi
    Now you see how she's been cheating repaired double sheets should not sit on a boat Pic 3 ???
    hehe look like plastic .....

Attached Files:

11. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

Hi
    Now the fun begins work to cut away any metal that is rusty.one week job dirty but so fun hihi

Attached Files:

12. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Rust

Dr. Sweeden,

Good thing you found $17.00 per hour. I am sure you are upset with whoever sold you the boat who probably did not tell you about all this.
    Dishonesty abounds boats and the marine industry. Most people in my industry are totally broke and out of work (This mess was casued by USA's government, the Democrats in congress and Fannie Mae.. long story) but what a mess. Looks like you are doing it right and it should not be so bad because you have a really good hourly rate.

In Maryland many trades still try to get what they could four years ago, and most boat companies have gone out of business. Many in Maryland would rather not work than cut ther rates like the rest of the world has had to it seems. In North Carolina (Wancheese) you can get 2-2.5 times as much done for the dollar. I am working on the cockpit now and if it does not fall within budget, I will not be able to go into the cabin to repair the crap the last guy did three years ago which means I lose another year.

I gave a good/reasonable budget by most standards today and fear it is not going to fall within it at this time so am rather concerned and do not want to have to stop the job. My fingers are crossed right now. The quality is very good and therefore worth a fair premium, but the cost is running too high so far. I will have to go "by the job" probably or maybe be forced to stop as the money is not there beyond the budget. I firmly believe marine work should be done on a fixed bid, Hourly is Pandora's Box unless you are there watching every day and they do not like that. I know what I am doing with boats. I feel sorry for those who buy them and do not understand the process. I can tell you this though, success or failure has all to do with who you hire. Sometimes more expensive people are cheaper in the long run, but not always... it's risky business.
  13. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Welders

It would be cheaper to fly your welder to the USA and put him in a hotel than pay what they would want here for that job unless you got real lucky. You got lucky! There are other Roamers out there that need your man's expertise.
  14. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Dr. Sweeden

Could you send me a photo of your back deck windows/ treatment.. just trying to see how they did your drop curtain area and the port and starboard side/rear windows in the deck area. Thanks in advance.
  15. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

Hehe shall ask him do think he would do it. only he can drive a big Dodge.
    do think he would do it. only he can drive a big Dodge yes have heard how hard you have it on the labor market, we here in Sweden is shocked by GM's decision to close saab faktory.här in northern Sweden we have a large iron mill and where there is pretty good with the job than . I bought our boat 05 when the dollar was high
  16. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

Yes,checking frequently boat prices, but think they have gone down a bit, some friends who are thinking of buying a boat this Wintern.see you live near philladelphia from there you can carry a boat up here to Sweden without difficulty my agent sent our boat to Jacksonville, the detour.hm's a thinking of starting work with the import of boats here does a 28 feet boat much more than a good 37 feet and then it's a classic addition, thinking of starting work with the import of boats here does a 28 feet boat much more than a good 37 feet and then it's a classic addition, more
    yes but one can always do often. I have been renovated when I have had monney.Rom was not built in a day.what you work with? I have a small business
  17. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

Oh yeah, they windows are made of plexiglas.Jag think the windows are mounted on fatory.so good fit. thought it was good that they were mounted on the boat we have not so hot summers up here in the 65 latitude.Jag has also mounted sliding doors instead of the canvas much nicer in autumn
  18. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Dr. Sweeden

Yes, USA owned the 50's 60's and 70's.. started losing ground in the 80's. We had great boats and cars back then... so great looks. Saab was a cool car but had reputation of electrical problems.

Ross Perot predicted 25 years ago GM would go broke. He was right.. it has been poorly managed for decades.. mostly because labor unions and Democrats are wrecking USA. Yes, true, Bush was not one of our best either.

The American 350 engine which is in the Chevelle is the best we ever made all around. The 427 that was in the Roamers were also fantastic to especially build to high horsepower.

Now gas boats are dogs compared to diesel because of gas prices and thier unpredicatability... you may have some welding to do but you have diesels so are in good shape.

We had the boats and cars.. but I love Sweedish woman.. they are the sexiest. Ours tend to be emascualted/liberated a bit much. I went to Russia and a had a blast several years ago too.
  19. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

I think it is a very nice compliment for some one from the great country of Sweden to go to so much trouble and effort to, not only purchase a Chris Craft and have her shipped across the great "pond", but to rebuild her as well.
    You have a beautiful Roamer. I was stationed in Jacksonville, Fla when I was in the Navy and live here in Knoxville, Tenn which is about 500 miles away or 1 days drive. Let me know if me or my other Roamer friends can help if you need any assistance. Jim Reed (Copy Cat)
  20. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

HI
    Yes but it is worth every dollar it is a great feeling and get to start her up and steer out to sea.
    Thank you very much I will do that
    Erik