Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for MotorCheck

Roamer 57' advice

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by chriscraft4me, Nov 26, 2009.

1. chriscraft4me

chriscraft4me New Member

Hello Roamer Community,

I must confess, I've had my eyes set on 53' or 58' Hatteras for some time now, but have come across steel 1965 Roamer 57' at a seemingly irresistible deal.

We've had fiberglass boats in saltwater environment for almost 20 years and are intimately familiar with "frozen snot" repair and maintenance issues.

At the same time, frankly speaking, I know nothing about steel boats and very little about Chris Craft.

This particular Roamer appears to be in great condition for it's age. It is very close to an original, somewhat of a "time machine" and the provenance that I'm getting is that it was owned by a former Canadian PM Trudeau.

Does anyone know this boat? What are the major steel vs. plastic maintenance issues? At 69000 lb displacement the ride should be pretty comfortable, but can some of you elaborate on this?

What would be a general opinion on 1965 57'? Would any of you purchase such a vessel? Why yes and why no?

What are the known issues for the given size, vintage and hull material? What sort of fuel burn should I expect on the natural Detroits, given size and weight?

I apologize for all the questions, but I need to make up my mind in a few days and I thought that this would be the perfect place to get this information.

Thank you very much for reading my post and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Fair winds.
  2. quick

quick New Member

Quick Re-Lease

have had a 57 Roamer for about 18yrs , have had nothing but fun 10 yrs ago we cut the bottom off and rewired and plumbed , Neptunus yachts were in my area near Buffalo and they about 12 of them helped me after work for about a yr and a half