Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for JetForums

Paint for propellers

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by jflongwell, Nov 16, 2009.

1. jflongwell

jflongwell Member

What type of paint would be best to use for painting my propellers?

Aluminum hull 38' Roamer

John
  2. m2m

m2m Senior Member

Prop Speed works the best but it is expensive and should be applied according to the supplied directions. I also tried an experiment that used the ink from Magic Markers to cover the prop and shaft (broke it apart and smeared it all over) sounds unconventional but it worked for a season in a high growth area.
  3. Lrgyot

Lrgyot Senior Member

Can support the recommendation for Prop Speed. The water is evil here in texas but Prop Speed always holds up extremely well. As has been said though, make sure you follow the instructions to the letter.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

That might sound weird to some but that ink is amazing stuff. When I was operating deep diving manned submersibles we used a manipulator arm that had anodized structural components. It got scratched up all the time and the aluminum would quickly oxidize and look like crap as well as began to pit. We discovered that a stoke with a magic marker of the same color as the anodizing made it look great and prevented corrosion. A regular touchup kept the corrosion away altogether.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i did the math on prop speed (36" props...) and it didn't add up. in so fl it was much cheaper to pay a diver to scrub the props every month...
  6. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Props

Spend 20 bucks and get a can of Petit prop paint.. it works fine .. dump Tilux 2 and use Pettit Vivid paint.. works better on bottom.