Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Westport

38 1969 Aluminum Riviera Launched yesterday

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by homer1958, Nov 12, 2009.

1. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Six years later, two years in the shed.. commin-out for final refit

Attached Files:

Sealandsky likes this.
  2. homer1958

homer1958 Member

More 1969 Riviera Launch

More More More...

Attached Files:

Sealandsky likes this.
  3. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Splashed!

Four more months of hard labor and back to the 1960's we go!

Attached Files:

Sealandsky likes this.
  4. hat4349

hat4349 Senior Member

Beautiful is all I can say.
  5. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Confusing software

Thanks... any idea how to add a photo to a current thread... this software is a nightmare to "initially" figure out.
  6. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

Click "Reply"
    Type in your message as normal. "Hey folks, here are some more pictures"
    *BEFORE* clicking "Submit" scroll past that, down to the "Manage Attachments" button.

That will open a new window wherein you can upload your images.
    Upload File from your Computer is the option you are looking for.
    Browse to your machine where you have the image you wish to post.
    Click "upload"
    Rinse / repeat with add'l images.
    Click "Close this window"

That should bring you back to the posting window, *then* click Submit Reply.

Images automatically are added to your post.

(Great looking Roamer by the way!)
  7. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Didn't I see her in the water a year ago tied next to the lift at Harrison's in Kent Narrows?

She is a great looking boat.
  8. homer1958

homer1958 Member

No.... restoration was started 6 years ago.. all that is original is the hull and cabintop and hardware.. all else is replaced, all glass, all everything including new vacuflsuh system and stepdown sliding tube shower. It is remarkable, a walk back in time. I am the son of the original owner.

I do not subscribe to old boats with another thick coat of chippy paint... strip them down, do it right or don't do it. These boats are forever if restored properly. She also runs just shy of 37 mph and has not been in the water for two years and is going for final refit soon.. will be fully operational in late Spring 2010.
  9. homer1958

homer1958 Member

More Shine More shine More shine

15 coats of epoxy/then clearcoat on African Mikore... dumped the stainless strips.

Attached Files:

10. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Shine Shine Shine...

Vestal White w/ extra clear mixed in last coat.
    Royal Blue stripe.
    SeaHawk epoxy bottom... (Same as what Burger uses.)
    Prefer Pettit Vivid to Trilux 2.
    Complete sandblast built back with proper Awlgrip stages/products.
    Check out Alexseal.. it may be even better than Awlgrip.. same chemist who formulated Awlgrip made Alexseal which is more repairable and still hard and they say even more shine!

Attached Files:

11. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

OK, I'm old and feeble minded. Maybe is was two years ago I saw her.
  12. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Chrome pile getting smaller!!

Lots of triple plate chrome... nice to see the chrome pile getting smaller!!
    Those of you who struggle with corroded screw holes that support the stantions, there is a solution... overdrill the hole in the wood, mix collidal silica from West system in the epoxy to thin mayonaise consistency, rub vasaline on screw threads, put in screw and poor solution in hole.. next day take out screw and you will have a perfect threaded tough bite... I not only helicoiled the bad ones, did the epoxy treatment too.. much stronger than original. Toe rail is new Sappelle Ribbon Mahogony, three coats of Maas Epoxy, sanded baby's butt smooth (sealed all the way around so no moisture can get in)... then seven coats on two different sprays of Dupont Chromaclear 7900s, high UV automotive two part paint... then sanded with 3000, then buffed with perfect it.. the toe rail is pure glass... not a piece of dust.. forget varnishing... no more of that!

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      58.8 KB
      Views:
  13. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Like the Chicken business... "Parts is Parts"

Flybridge compliments of an old junkyard Silverton/modified to fit. Complete aluminum superstructure under the bridgetop... factory was not strong enough.. note thicker posts... welded into hull botton... absolutely no racking or creaking. All wood replaced no veneer.. solid 3/4 inch Mahogony sprayed with sound deadening solution than 2 inches of Sound Down too... aluminum can be made to be quiet.

Steering all Sea Star hydraullic, props 23 by 31, shafts 2 inch aqumet 22. Want to reduce vibration... install a PSS shaft saver disc and it will smooth your Roamer out but you need to cut one inch off the shaft to do it.. PLUS, it will break the current flow from engine to shaft and visa versa. I am not a believer in Capoc battery draining Voodoo.. threw it out, and went with good epoxy bottom and zincafied... install Electrogurd meter to read water electrical current. Install PSS dripless on both shafts and rudder posts. Also, Roamer has steel rudders.. dump those and go stainless... that is why many Roamer rudders bang around... the posts rust away over time.

Still have a ways to go though.... see her at the antique boat show in St Michaels next year.

Attached Files:

14. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

Hii
    She is a beautiful girl.
    Own a -66 rivera have been restore her for 4 year now shall isolat the engeners in this winter and do the paint job
    Erik
  15. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Thank you

I know your boat.. see it sometimes on line... you just have the only one in Sweeden. What bums me sometimes as people pick these Romars up and never do it right thinking it is some bargain.. no such thing.. lots of work for sure.
  16. q240z

q240z New Member

The boat looks great! Congrats!

btw, what did you repower with?
  17. homer1958

homer1958 Member

370 Hp Td.
  18. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

Hi
    Yes but not the only romer we have a 60ft also here in lulea our look like a dinge when we park between her.
    have follow yours project intresting hope I can send some pic from my project but not so familar with the web site hope to learn it.By the way what engines have jo my is detroit 8.2l series
    best regards Erik
  19. homer1958

homer1958 Member

More photos :)

Cool.. it's hard but rewarding... part agonly, part challenge, part dream, but.. done well, like pulling up in a 1966 Ford Cobra 427, AND, the engines were just those, "Top oilers" not "Side oilers."

I look forward to your photos.. no cheating.. do a great job.. she is worth it. Keep a good epoxy bottom, use Pettit Vivid and watch the current flow... 40 years later, the 38 aluminum is still almost like new.
  20. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Power

Yanmar 370ly