Click for JetForums Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport

Hatch Cover Gasket

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by Shangri-La, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

I need to replace the round hatch cover gasket on the bow deck. Can anyone tell me where I might find one?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Just Google Hatches for Boats and pick your mfg.
  3. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

That may not be so easy for an original Chris-Craft hatch as it would be for, say, a Bomar.

http://www.marine-sales.com/ might be a good place to start...
  4. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Porthole Gaskets

I found at Lowe's weatherstripping that cut lengthwise was a perfect fit for my portholes on my 1964 Roamer.
  5. artwork

artwork Member

Hatch Gasket

I'm all for using standard construction materials where they work. But if you take a LOT of spray over the bow or heavy rain could cover that gasket, a foam weatherstrip may not be dense enough. Make sure it offers good resistance when dogged down. If you have to squish it (technical jargon) more than 25%, that will shorten it's life.

If you want marine grade, take a cross section of your gasket to a good marine supplyer. Perko makes a Y shaped hatch gasket in hard rubber which is 1/4" at the bottom and 7/16" at the top (in the West Marine catalog). Hunt Wilde makes a square gasket with a hole thru the center in grey vinyl. It comes in 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 inch. Sold by the foot. These are in better distributor's catalogs.
  6. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

Gasket material ordered

I found what may be the right gasket material from ERL Commercial Marine, Inc. What I ordered was their .375 HatchPak. I had to order it from TIMCO Industries (812) 945-8988. It is sold by the 5 pound box but they were able to sell me 1 pound (11 ft) for $20.
  7. q240z

q240z New Member

After seeing extruded rubber hatch gaskets harden up, stick to the portholes, crack, fail to seal, etc, I started thinking about alternatives. This was also driven by cost, since hollow core 3/8 extruded rubber gasket material, which is what came originally on my Roamer, runs $2-$3/ft and I need about 150'. Anyway, have any of you looked into molded silicone?

I had this idea about whipping out a wooden mold in the shape of my porthole and hatch seals with a 3/8 router bit, applying release compound, and filling the mold with 2-part silicone that's readily available online. The stuff is relatively cheap (especially if you need to do all of the portholes and hatches, like I do), tough as nails, and shouldn't have any of the problems that rubber gaskets have.

Thoughts?
  8. Shangri-La

Shangri-La Senior Member

I've never worked with the stuff. Give it a try and let us know how it works. By the way, TIMCO Industries didn't come through, I ordered 3/8" hatch cover gasket and they sent me 3/8" compression packing. I reordered the right stuff from Marine Sales & Repair and they sent me the right stuff. A little costly though.
  9. Brian Lee

Brian Lee New Member

Hatch Repair

Hello,

I just wanted to let everybody know that all Atkins & Hoyle Ltd.
    hatches, and other cast aluminum frame hatches and ports, are able to
    be fully refurbished. This process involves replacing the cast acrylic
    and gaskets, cleaning up the frame and repairing or replacing any
    broken hardware. Our homepage is located at Atkins & Hoyle and
    our hatch repair page is at Atkins & Hoyle

Thank you for reading,

Brian Atkins
    Atkins & Hoyle Ltd.
    Atkins & Hoyle
  10. trusert

trusert New Member

This is what I ordered from Mcmaster-Carr. My original had a 1/8" nylon cord insert for extra cushion/compression which I will add to the new material. Order by the foot.

McMaster-Carr

1 8507K45 Standard Rubber Edge Trim, 1/4" Opening, 1/2" Inside Depth