Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for MotorCheck

rebuilding trim tab actuators

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by 9lives, Mar 9, 2005.

1. 9lives

9lives Member

Has anyone taken apart the trim tab actuator shown in the attachment? The cylinder looks to have a pin through the nut which holds it in place. Before I press it out and ruin anything I thought I would ask questions first!

Reason for cleaning is that the motors have never been oiled and are stiff as well as the jack shafts have old hardened grease. Also discovered that the upper bracked broke where it is slotted for adjustment which allowed the actuator to move instead of the tab shaft and ripped the indicator potentiometer apart. Anyone have a spare potentiometer 0-5 ohm 5 watt??
    Mark

Attached Files:

2. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Another Winter Project?

Jeepers Mark, why did you have to go and do that? :cool:
    Now I have to look at my trim tab motors too.
    37 years cannot have helped mine either.
    Cheers!
    Eric
    "Tin Tonic"
  3. ROAMERJOHN69

ROAMERJOHN69 New Member

........the patricia jay here....only person that might have what your looking for is earl the pearl in mt,cleams mich ....when i was looking for parts he had parts for our trim tabs ...didnt have the part i needed which was the gear box but had other parts ......the gear box and worm gear are from57 thunderbird power seat...had to have mine re worked at a friend machine shop when it was all done and said it was 500.00 dollars.....but works like new little slower thasn other side but really dosent matter as long as it goes up and down........were your bracket broke is were both of mine have broke its the weakest part in the system as far as pin goes it can be knocked our or pressed out.

happy boating the patricia jay
  4. 9lives

9lives Member

John,
    Thanks for the tip! How did you find out it was from a T-Bird!!

The pins I am referring to are the pins in the outside of the sliding cylinder. I think they are just small tabs that fit into the uhmw nut and the hole in the cylinder body. I tried to punch them out and then realized that they can't go all of the way through or the jack shaft couldn't travel up and down! My thought is to try and drill a small pilot hole and use an easy out or other extractor to pull the buttons out.

Any idea on where to find the potentiometer??
    Mark
  5. 9lives

9lives Member

trim tab indicators

I have cleaned and re-lubed the cylinders so that they now slide much easier. The O-rings were gone on end of each cylinder. So now I am waiting for the new potentiometer which it turns out only needs to move 3/4 of a turn and not the 2 turns they are capable of. Next question? Does anyone have a indicator that sits on the dash for sale?? I know some have converted over to hydraulic and don't use this any longer. Attached is the dash indicator I am looking for.
    Mark

Attached Files:

6. watjam

watjam New Member

Responding to a very old thread!

Mark, I have an indicator if by chance you still haven't found one. Or perhaps someone else out there has a need for one. I have the one pictured above as well as a flush mount, or in-dash mounted gauge from the flybridge, both are in need of restoration IMHO.
  7. 9lives

9lives Member

Tab Indicators

I appreciate the reply! The tab positioners are part of the one mechanical item we are replacing this winter. Installing a new set of Bennet hydraulic actuators to our tabs so will have a non standard indicator guage on the dash.
    My indicator was in great shape except for the cracked lens.
    Did I read the avatar right? BOTH our Roamers??? Double the disease!

Love it!
    Mark