Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Comfort Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service

Just brought this 32 steel roamer is this a major repair needed

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by floatmeboat, Jun 30, 2013.

1. floatmeboat

floatmeboat New Member

Hi just brought this roamer and are wondering how much of a job this repair is , as the rust appears to be in the keel and seams not just panels , excuse me a bit of a novice to this , just trying to work out if I should haul home or sell again and call it a learning experience.I usually tend to prefer not to buy projects and pay more for someone else's hard work or pref mint original example , but this seamed so cheap to me so I took a punt , so if someone can give me an idea on the cost/job envolved from these photo's so I can work out if it was a great deal or if there is alway's a reason why something is so cheap , that would be appreciated .......Seller emailed me this info after auction Will take close up pictures tomorrow for you with a detailed write up of current condition. Basically, the engines still run great, all mechanicals are good, including lights, horn, all gauges etc. The hull up front rusted through at the keel, I will take close up pics for you. Was going to have front quarter from water line down replaced but have too many other toys plus another boat to play with & very little time. below is txt from when this boat was for sale on this site in 2007 which is when the person I brought it off purchased it , attatched are current photo's just taken.

thanks in advance for any advice from past experience given. jason

1959 Chris Craft Roamer For Sale
    31' Steel Chris Craft Roamer with trailer
    We purchased this Roamer in early spring of 2002 it had been on
    drydock for 10-12 years, What caught my eye was it looked very
    similar to one my parents had when I was young, after looking at it
    I discovered it was indeed the very same boat. It even had some
    of the same decorations on board. So we purchased the boat!
    And the great memories continued. The 1st thing we did was completely
    sand the bottom and paint with 2 coats of Inturlux Interprotect watertight
    primer and 2 coats of Trilux 33 anifouling paint
    We also completly painted the sides of the hull with Interlux brightside.

This boat runs exceptionally, we have spent almost every weekend in the summer aboard, taking it out everyday.
    At least once a year going to LaCross (90 miles). Below are some of the major items we did and their costs
    We also repainted the bottem with Trilux 33 anifouling paint yearly
    During every winter the boat has been stored indoors

Winter 2002-2003
    Completely rebuilt engines $5,313.00
    Transmissions $4,364.00
    Generators $300.00
    starters $300.00
    Chris-o-Matics $600.00
    rebuilt Tachs $300.00
    complete Sunbrella camper top
    including TopGun Tonneau cover $5,301.00
    Removed tanks & tank renew $800.00
    Winter 2003-2004
    new hard top cabin canvas $500.00
    Swim platform $450.00
    New Stainless Steel rudders & Shafts $600.00
    rebuilt gauges $300.00
    Mufflers $550.00
    Winter 2004-2005
    New foam for interior $455.00
    new upholstery $1,000.00
    Winter 2005-2006
    Trailer (very road worthy & legal) $2,500.00
    rebuilt gauges $300.00

Sub Total $23,933.00

Engines and trannies now have around 155 hours

Asking Price: $15,000

Mod note; Phone-Email-Website deleted
    We are selling because we bought a 1959 41 Roamer regal

Attached Files:

2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If its rotten like that all the way along you have a very big job on your hands if you want to do it properly.

If you got it cheap enough try to move it on to someone who understands and can cope with what is required or hopefully you can look at it as a lesson learned.
  3. floatmeboat

floatmeboat New Member

hi kiwi,

have asked how far along the keel does the rot go , just waiting reply , think the only rust through the hull of the boat is in the one place up the front as in the photo shown from what I can tell studying the rest of the photo's I received .
    paid $3500usd , but I live in New Zealand so the real cost will be in moving it , so just wondering if maybe a better example worth more needing less is more logical way to justify the cost of getting it here ( about 14,000 U.S from enquires ) door to door
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If you can rebuild it your self its one thing if you have to pay others it is a whole different ballgame.

Not sure I would want a gas guzzler in NZ though given the cost of gas.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

There is a ton of information on these boats here, including major rebuilds. I've seen some here that made me think these people are out of their minds, but Roamers do this to people. You've bought a project. If you proceed you'll spend a lot of money, expend a ton of sweat and probably skin more than a few knuckles. You'll do it for a great feeling of pride, and a beautiful, classic boat.

Read through a few of the threads in the Chris Craft Roamers discussion to see what others have done. I'd suggest you start here:
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/chris-craft-roamer-discussion/8178-found-roamer-46-a-2.html
  6. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

The rust is worse near the welds but you can't weld until you get to good metal. From the looks of it the bottom might need to be re-plated. The material is not that expensive but, you have to gut the interior to be able to weld the plate to the frames. Some of the frames will likely need to be replaced. Then you have to put it all back together. Personally I wouldn't spend the money to ship that boat to nz. I don't think the price was too high but, it's not worth much more than you paid. It doesn't look to me like it's had 20k spent on it, but I could be wrong.
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The posted list shows most of the work with the exception of $300 spent on gauges in 2006 the rest was done in 2002/03 which makes it at least 10 yrs old at best.
  8. doompatrol

doompatrol Guest

9. bannow

bannow New Member

I have the same boat. Had the same problems. How are the windows?