Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service

Should I do it again????

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by bolsado, Aug 27, 2012.

1. bolsado

bolsado Member

My 37 1965 AL Roamer Rivera project is nearing completion and I must be crazy.

Finished the interior and I have just about finished the hull repaint. Boy it takes a long time only working on Saturdays as boat is about an hour away and Marina is closed on Sundays. Chalk that up to another lesson learned.

After looking at those bigger Roamers and my current position in life ( IE kids will be done w high school soon). I was thinking on moving up to a size full time liveaboard.

Anyway I have been trolling west coast craigslists for cheap CC boats with potential engines for my engine swap and possible misc parts. tons of woodies and commanders around here but almost no Roamers. Still debating in my mind value of rebuilts vs completely new engines and 90% sure I was going new until this came up. Anyway

A awhile back I came across a 37' Steel Roamer with two rebuilt engines and a trailer. Sellers vision of value and mine were off by about $10K so I said give me a call if you dont find a buyer at your price. So last week out of the blue I get that call. This opportunity has me back peddaling

I am mostly interested in the rebuilt 350's, drive train, misc trim parts and of course the trailer which would give me three trailer options for my AL Roamer.

From the pics the steelie would probably be a complete rehab but steel is easy to work with compared to the AL and I have a lot of confidence in what I can do in regards to a restoration based on what I have done so far.

My thoughts on the steelie would to completely gut her except for the hull and fiberglass cabin top. Id like to go with a hamilton waterjet pump and a single diesel. I would probable keep the rudders to complement slow speed manuvering but everything else would go.

Those were my plans if I got a bigger roamer in tough shape. If I found one in real good shape I would stick to origional set up.

The 37 is smaller than I want for boat number 2 but maybe I could use it as a trade up.

AM I CRAZY and should be sent to the asylum or should I do it???
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Crazy, enjoy the boat you just finished. Why start a 2nd boat project and completely neglect the one you are finishing without enjoying it. Also, if the rebuilt 350's have been sitting for over a year, unless they're bagged and sitting in a climate controlled area, I'd rebuild them again before using them.

Why would you want a diesel with a waterjet?
  3. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

What's your kicks?

Do you want to go boating or do you enjoy the rebuilding projects? There is a sense of satisfaction in completing a project but its nice to spend the weekend on the water.
  4. bolsado

bolsado Member

In need and a dreamer

Well I am in need of some things to finish mine and this has a number of things to finish my Aluminum Roamer. The second roamer is worth the cost for the needed or spare parts just like buying a parts car. I couldnt find all these parts for about what I would pay in total

- mostly trim items, hand rails, toe rails, has a teak cockpit floor

- an extra set of drive line, props, transmissions, generator

- guage console etc...

I could scrap the hull but that seems morally wrong, maybe I could sell it but unlikely or get same value as scrap

I could donate it to local sea scouts

I agree I need another project like a hole in my head.
  5. bolsado

bolsado Member

jet roamer

Ill start a new thred on the jet idea
  6. boatfxr

boatfxr New Member

Crazy

Take from someone who is trying it as we speak. You will never finish the first one. Due to distractions and the work situation you are already maxed out with your resources. Unless you hit the lottery you just don't have the time.
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I don't think any boat is ever " Done" .........;)
  8. gravy

gravy Member

Enjoy the boat you got. Time is to short to be working your tail off on another one. GRAVY
  9. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I watched a 37 'steelie' go by the club yesterday. It was pushing into 2 footers right on the nose, the comment from the lunch table boys was 'look at that beast she isn't being pushed any where. ' She was doing maybe 5 knots and the bow was as steady as your kitchen table. Then came the comment she's probably running at cruise. The point being here that this is not a boat I would invest precious time and money in. The weight ratio for this boat is way to high.
    Buy it for the parts you need and don't feel bad about sending the hull to the happy scrap yard in the sky. With the cost of fuel no one would want it by the time you finally got it finished.
  10. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Running at cruise??

"I watched a 37 'steelie' go by the club yesterday. It was pushing into 2 footers right on the nose, the comment from the lunch table boys was 'look at that beast she isn't being pushed any where. ' She was doing maybe 5 knots and the bow was as steady as your kitchen table. Then came the comment she's probably running at cruise. The point being here that this is not a boat I would invest precious time and money in. The weight ratio for this boat is way to high."

Wrong on the weight ratio! My "steelie" Roamer Offshore 38 weighs 21,500. The new Back Cove 37 weighs 22,000 with similar length and beam. Both are 38 feet overall. The Back Cove is packing single diesel. My Roamer is packing 2 big block Chryslers.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It would take about a 25HP outboard on a tiller bracket to push a 37' steelie 5 knots.
  12. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

The cruise comment was made in jest by a bunch of guys sitting at the lunch table.