Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Burger

Get Your Roamer Ready... Spring waves are Near

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by homer1958, Feb 13, 2011.

1. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Attached Files:

2. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Getting ready for Spring

In the process of having both engines rebuilt. Starboard done.

Attached Files:

3. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

Fell Off Roof of House

Well Homer Romer, Ol' Copy Cat (41 Alum Regal Roamer) is ready to go for the season except I'm not. Trying to get the Honey Doo's out of the way, I fell off the roof of my house cleaning out gutters trying to get a jump start on the spring cleaning so I could have more time on the boat. It's really starting to warm up here in Knoxville, Tn and it's easy to start to get excited about the coming spring. Well, like a dummy, I ended up breaking my ankle and having surgery. The bone doc. placed several screws in my ankle and said to keep off the foot for 2 weeks. Sooo, I have been setting here in my Lazy-Boy chair for 11 days. I haven't visited my boat in 3 weeks and it's killing me. My first post operation Dr. appointment is on Monday 3/7/11 so we'll see how that goes but in the meantime I will be just sitting here. Was saving up to put teak on the rear deck on the Roamer but have to use part of the money for medical expenses. ****. I also pay over $1,200.00/month in health insurance. What a ripoff. Plus I had to write a big check before surgery. That just means I have to sell a few more copiers to make up the money I've lost for being Stupid. Anyway, my winter project was to get rid of those sissy alt. and exposed Voltage Regs and install new updated 100 amp alts with the Voltage Reg builted into the units. Great Idea HuH? Well, the pivot bolts kept breaking on the Alt brackets and I took a tool and dye man to the boat to make some new brackets that would work on the 427's. While I was at it I also installed new Alt. gauges on the lower and upper helm stations. Doing real good until I climbed up that ladder. Oh well, I'll quite crying and just sit here watching my stories and Jerry Springer on T.V.
  4. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Three weeks no ROAMER?

Say it's not true CopyCat... That's severe withdrawal... who is shaking more, you or your Roamer?

I am looking for teak too... it's so incredibly expensive. Get FEQ1 quarter sewn Burmese from East-West Teak... It's the best but so far can't get a fair/reasonable price.... Let me know if you find some. Need 1/2 thick.. and No Costa Rican plantation stuff.

I finally got rid of those rotted old saggy lead weighted hatches and have a new aluminum framed hatch with Nida-Core. Half the weight, much stronger and much quieter. Two piano hinged hatches with a drainway and center access.

HOMER
  5. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

Hey Homer, I was thinking of that fake teak that's suppost to be pretty neat. I need some advise. Is the real teak better that the fake? I mean you don't have much to maintain with the fake and it has the holly strip in the middle that I thought looked pretty cool. I guess it really doesn't matter now with the medical bills I have to pay. Will make this my next winter project. Should have the money back in the "kitty" by then.
  6. ScrumpyVixen

ScrumpyVixen Member

Jim,

Sorry to hear about the ankle and the costs of fixing it. There is a bit of pain and suffering in the rehab. just got to constantly exercise it when you get the ok from the doc/physio.

Given US medical costs, you could have probably flown to Thailand or Singapore, had your ankle done in a flash private hospital with cute nurses, and had enough let over to pick up some teak on the way home!

Oh and remenber that when you get over 40, send the wife or kids up on the roof.
  7. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Hatches

Hey, Homer
    Did you replace your engine hatches? I would really like to replace mine with something lighter. How about posting some photos of what you built?
  8. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

Thanks for the kind words on my recovery. Doc. says I'm making progress but still can't walk until the first of April. I'm looking into Flexiteek. I think this is the teak Sea Ray uses on their high dollar boats and it seems to work out fine. I heard rumor that this product gets hot when out in the sun but real teak does that. I'm just tired of looking at that old white nautilex with the throw run on top of it. I've had several Chris Craft "Connies" and love wood but only on top of the hull. I'm just needing my Roamer Fix. Haven't visited her in over a month and am used to being at the marina several times a week. I don't see how you nothern guys do it. You know, putting your boat in a warehouse for 9 months out of the year. I guess being a Southern good ol' boy has it's advantages after all. Even if we do talk funny.
  9. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Talk Funny.. that's funny

CopCat.. that's funny.. now you talk funny and walk funny... you'll just have to be a sitdown comic for a while. Not a fan of flexiteak.. why you gonna put down that... come on now. Do da real thang! Flexi teak is not cheap.. might as well go real.

Homer
  10. Jim Reed

Jim Reed Member

You have to teach me Homer Romer. I never put Teak down before so I really don't know. I would think that real teak would be heaver than the fake stuff. Anyway, it will be awhile for me 'cause of my medical bills. Wow,falling off the roof can get expensive. I always knew working around the house could be bad for my health.
  11. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Hatches for Laurence

The product to use is called Nida-core. I have not seen the job yet, but it was done by the boy who did all of Buddy Davis sportfish metal work. Basically we framed the perimeter in aluminum, made two hatches on each side that have one piano hinge. The Nida-Core fits into the frames he made.
    I mean this guy is no nonsense. We will use gas shocks to let them open.

We Dumped the original rotted doubles that are such a pain in the butt. Have access hatch in the middle about 2/3rds the size of the original. He built drainage channels as well in the frame perimeter. We used 1.5 inch Nida-Core honey comb w/ fiberglass top. According to Kenny, the hatches weigh half as much, are far stronger, the water drains too. Noda-core is what the boys who make the sportfishes use. I also studied Cousa.. bottom line.. Nida-core. You will spend $900 for the product and have left over.. need two sheets. The product is also naturally soundproof. I will send photos when I see it.

http://nida-core.com/english/

Homer
  12. Laurence

Laurence Senior Member

Hatches

Thanks Homer, I'm tired of heavy leaky hatches and with cleaning up the engine room with my engine rebuilds, I sure don't want leaky hatches.
  13. homer1958

homer1958 Member

Nida-Core Hatches

You are welcome Capt. Laurence.

If you want to speak to the guy who made them let me know.
    Of course there are several ways to do it, but as you know in the Roamer unless your hathches are interior hatches, the water just drips through the hatch cracks. I made the gravitational water channels with the rubber seal so water would drain plus have air-tight seems.... cutting down noises as best I can.

Nida-core is the product to use... it's what the sportfish boys are using because it is light, strong and sound deadening.. it's not as cheap as wood, but way better. You have a honeycomb sandwich with fiberglass coating.. never gonna rot or leak done right.. but building the channel part is where the work comes in. A real pro job including labor and materials wich means aluminum and nidacore is around 4 bills. Of course it can be done for less.. if you do it yourself with wood framing and epoxy it. For me I would rather just work at my own job and pay a pro to do that type thing right.

Homer