Click for JetForums Click for Delta Click for Comfort Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno

Got the 60 to get on plane!

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by The Hedgehog, Sep 7, 2010.

1. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog New Member

I really did not think she would do it without removing all the furniture. I had the bottom done earlier this year and burned the tanks down to 1/2 (both water and fuel). I was not even trying it. I was riding back from Chattanooga last weekend and my first mate Cam was commenting that he had never really heard those Detroit's spool up. We were in a place without traffic and docks so I decided to blow her out. The RPM's climbed to 2,200. My previous best was around 1,900 or so and she did not sound all that strong. She ran straight to 20 knots and sounded good. Wow. I did not even have them on the stops. I had to back down to be polite to the upcoming traffic. During the next nice open stretch, I stood on her again. This time I had a chance to drop the tabs and she nosed right over on plane.

It was a pretty cool sensation (not that I will do it much) to plane a boat that size. It felt sort of like driving a train.
  2. q240z

q240z New Member

Excellent. :)
  3. ELS_Huntsville

ELS_Huntsville New Member

Cool..........

We have a 58' aluminum hulled Roamer... "Grand Slam" .... and I don't know that i would take that chance with the motors. They are over 40 years old!
  4. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

If you had looked down in the engine bay while those DDs were singing their song, you'd have seen machines that smile. Not to be done often but it's a nice chorus every now and then.
  5. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Hello Ed and Marcia, Welcome to YachtForums! Congrats on the purchase of the big Roamer. I'm sure the Commander Club folks will miss you, but you're probably still welcome there with your Roamer. I met you both a few years back at the Kent Island rendezvous. I have defected as well with the purchase of a Hatteras.

Here on YF you will find plenty of great intel and info. Its great to have you here.
  6. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

Hello hedgehog! You are a the Hales Bar Marina??I have a 38 Commander there and saw the bow of your boat the other day and she looks great!
    I will drop by some day and introduce myself. Thanks,Bill Smith-Slip E-4 Hales Bar
  7. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

To the moon Alice!

Rumor has it Jackie Gleason purchased a 60' Commander, which to his great (great) dismay never attained its advertised speed capabilities. Of course, made out of relatively thick fiberglass/GRP, a 60 footer must have weighed a ton or more.
    Hence, the great (great) advantage of your Roamer's aluminum (beer can) hull - stronger, yet lighter. Just be careful not to hit too many manatees. :eek:
    Cheers!
    -Eric
    PS - To Detroit's credit, his '69 Lehman-Peterson Lincoln limo never let him down. :p

UPDATE (6/30/12): Jackie Gleason's 60' Commander can now be seen here:
    www.savoyyacht.com!
    Apparently it has aged well.
    -E

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  8. Oneiros

Oneiros Member

Nice boat nice car wow!!
  9. Viesel

Viesel New Member

I use to own a 1964 57ft Connie and was able to get it on plane once with min fuel and water. It only happened on a cool Florida morning. I had massive chill bumps when the nose started to come down. Never will forget that moment.